Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X's large windscreen vs S's panoramic roof

X's large windscreen vs S's panoramic roof

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are just different. So I do not think you can choose one as being better than the other and anyway, either you get an S and you can have the panoramic roof or you get an X and you can have the high WS or you get both that way you can choose what you prefer for different occasions...... :)

I suspect the missing cross beam will go the way of the door handles: cool at first glance, but later just a bit "why?". Also I would like to see how the car holds up to a rollover crash test without the crossbeam...

Hate to say it, but I'm in the skeptics corner.

You left out the option for 'Neither'. I have no desire to sit in the Sun... I don't care how tinted it may be.

Here we have the essence of the difference between living in AZ and OR (as two examples). I can totally get your point of view - I'm looking forward to a huge sheet of glass that has me feeling like I'm sitting in a convertible (sort of how the glass top on the Roadster creates that "sitting outside" feeling).

Sounds like the X will offer a fantastic view for the driver and front seat passenger. Likely similar to a Class A motor home, and also great for vacation trips. Can't wait to see one in person. It reminds me of the Ford Skyliner:

Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria Skyliner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

image.jpg

GSP

I suspect the missing cross beam will go the way of the door handles: cool at first glance, but later just a bit "why?". Also I would like to see how the car holds up to a rollover crash test without the crossbeam...

Hate to say it, but I'm in the skeptics corner.

The car has a huge H shaped truss structure supporting the falcon doors and rear hatch, and the A pillars are connected to that. I'm not at all worried about the roll over itself.

I am a little curious about egress from a rolled car - but I'm actually expecting that one of the surprises at the rollout will be that the falcon doors open both ways, so the rolled car could still open the bottom panels.
Walter

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a tall guy and I hate having to crane my neck downward to see lights / street signs and cool things when driving. The large windscreen definitely has my vote.

Me three! :)

Here we have the essence of the difference between living in AZ and OR (as two examples). I can totally get your point of view - I'm looking forward to a huge sheet of glass that has me feeling like I'm sitting in a convertible (sort of how the glass top on the Roadster creates that "sitting outside" feeling).

You were way nicer than I was... seriously, the guy from AZ doesn't want to sit in the sun? Ummmm.... move? ;)

As a fellow desert dweller, a giant sheet of glass above my head is a very likely deal breaker. Without any obvious way to block the sun completely, it seems like a very ridiculous design decision. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who had to do their hot weather test drives in Death Valley.

As a fellow desert dweller, a giant sheet of glass above my head is a very likely deal breaker. Without any obvious way to block the sun completely, it seems like a very ridiculous design decision. I feel sorry for the poor bastard who had to do their hot weather test drives in Death Valley.

I'm also a desert dweller -- and my Model S has the pano roof. The UV protection in the glass does a very good job of not letting heatin -- even on 115+ degree days. I wish the windshield had better UV blocking -- it lets in a lot heat (I had my side and rear windows tinted with a good uv blocking tint -- almost as good as the factory pano roof...).

I'm sure the person that did the hot weather test drives was rather comfortable...

Surprised that someone hasn't mentioned the real problem with the x windshield...the cost of replacement. Unlike the pano roof, people are going to have to replace those things. I shudder to imagine the cost. It will also make insurance rates higher.

Surprised that someone hasn't mentioned the real problem with the x windshield...the cost of replacement. Unlike the pano roof, people are going to have to replace those things. I shudder to imagine the cost. It will also make insurance rates higher.
I did mention that a few threads back, having had to replace the Model S windshield due to a rock cracking the glass would not look forward to doing this on the X.

If the roumors is right, that it is gorilla glass. I guess you realy need the insurance when it needs replacement.
In my part of the World, the sun is not a big problem, driving in with the sun in low position big parts of winter is on all type of cars.
Hitting a Moose in hight speed will be a problem, protection behind a glass or a cross beam do not make any different output.
If the Moose is not flipped over they car, you die.
I love the windshield, and hate sunroof more problems than usefulness.
The few hot days, vent helps but AC is better. Open and you get the sun straight in your head and you get overheated.

Biggest problem with large glass surfaces is the winter and not as good isolated as regular roof.

Last edited:
You can make glass quite thermally non conductive. The space shuttle can handle reentry heat of 2200 degrees and it has windows.

the pano roof on the Model S is another good example, on a blistering hot day you cannot feel the heat above you, in some way I wouldn't be surprised that it is better than the metal roof.