Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, October Model Y build here with an AC and heat issue. If I put the car on LO or HI, both cool and heat works great. The minute I change it to 70, compressor starts cycling on off on off for about a minute and then fails. When this happens, heat and cool fail for the rest of the day, and there’s an error shown on the climate slider in Park saying “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault” and climate cannot be started from the app. Next day, seems to reset and works again.

I had it into service twice so far and they can’t reproduce it, which blows my mind because it happens to me every time I try, but with COVID and distancing it’s harder to explain or show this.

Anyone know if this is a known issue I can point them to? Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Hi all, October Model Y build here with an AC and heat issue. If I put the car on LO or HI, both cool and heat works great. The minute I change it to 70, compressor starts cycling on off on off for about a minute and then fails. When this happens, heat and cool fail for the rest of the day, and there’s an error shown on the climate slider in Park saying “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault” and climate cannot be started from the app. Next day, seems to reset and works again.

I had it into service twice so far and they can’t reproduce it, which blows my mind because it happens to me every time I try, but with COVID and distancing it’s harder to explain or show this.

Anyone know if this is a known issue I can point them to? Thanks
The next time it happens be sure to take a photo of the screen with your phone so you can attach the photo to the service request. Also, using the voice command feature you can say "take a screen shot", the Tesla Model Y should save the screen image in a log file that the Service Center can later retrieve.

What happens when you turn on, turn off the Sync setting for the dual climate control option?

I had an issue last week where for a few days the AC/Heat system was not working. No heat or AC in the car. I could start 'Climate' through the tesla app and it would run. Tried a bunch of things including power cycling the car, but no luck. Then, over the course of a day it seemed to work itself out [saing me from a 4.5 hour drive to closest service center]. It seeeeeeems like it might be a bug from the App and the Car both trying to manage climate?? I am now, because of th cold up here 'preheating' preconditioning before every drive, it seems like if I start climate full on with the app, don' turn the app off, that I have heat for the drive??

I was getting a different message, at least in the app, "Climate- Failed to start Climate"

To truly understand the complexity of the system, you have to watch this three part video, then imagine all the permutations of heat control for drive system, battery, cabin, all the fail-safes built in, all the seals that could go bad, and having it managed by app, and car.

Last edited:
ScottW: It would help all of us to know where you live. List it in your profile...there's no privacy concern if you simply list your region, or state.

The HVAC demands of FL are vastly different than Vancouver.

I had this happen a couple of updates back. After I did a hard reboot (brake + 2 thumb wheels) I had heat again. I know you are able to reboot while driving but I did not want to give up on navigation at the time, so it was a chilly drive to my destination that morning. The ride back was much more pleasant.

Reactions: CO_MY
So I have found a bunch of other threads addressing what seems to be this problem. People are finding that it is often the HVAC sensor, a temperature/pressure/humidity sensor, also called a humidistat. Sometimes a loose connection, sometimes fixed by replacing the hardware which apparently is up in the rearview mirror assembly [in a 3]. Folks have also noted that longer stretches of dry weather seem to clear the fault, and that possibly once the hardware clears it's fault - you have to reboot to get the software to clear the fault.... So if they say it's just a software bug, ask them about the HVAC sensor. I'm still hoping to get this done mobile rather than drive 4.5 hours.... This might explain why the actual condensers/heat pump works, but we get squirrely off and on failures.

This is only one of the issues I have with a Model Y built on day 2 way back in March. The AC and the heat would fail at any time when trying to use them. All manner of reboots with service were tried, and they had to pick my car up on a truck and take it back to Denver for service. They determined it was a coolant level issue in the pack and manifold, and it had damaged my battery and motors. There are no warnings that this is occurring other than the climate will not turn on when parked. After several months of driving due to them not servicing the issue, my battery is down to 273 mi on a full charge. I drive mostly long distance with the car, but charge at home in the garage, so only 3 supercharger sessions ever.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
So my wife’s Y error just fixed itself. After days of driving without heat despite multiple resets and power offs it started working today and the error message is gone....for better or worse since we have a service appointment tomorrow. Is it still worth going?

My heat stopped working about a week ago and I have an appointment for it on the 8th and they ordered 2 sensors and the supermanifold. Monday night I got update 2020.44.25 and its been working ever since. I'm still keeping my appointment because I don't trust it but atleast I'll be able to get through the wintery weather until then...unless it quits again