Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y have enough range for trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about the Y performance. The range is supposedly 315 miles, though I have heard people say it is more like 280 miles. In any event, given Tesla's charging network, is that enough range to drive, say, cross country?

Easy.

But don't get tricked by the EPA range, because you won't get that cruising at 75+ mph on the Freeway. And you won't be using the battery from 100% to 0%, more typically 85% to 15%.

Start out easy, with a day trip that involves a couple of Supercharger stops and extra time, because there's a little bit of a learning curve.

BTW: Our longest trip was out to Northern Colorado and back, in the winter, twice. That's 1400+ miles each way, and really not quite a 2 day trip in the winter, so we took a more leisurely 2.5 days. In the summer, we could have done it with one overnight stop.

I am thinking about the Y performance. The range is supposedly 315 miles, though I have heard people say it is more like 280 miles. In any event, given Tesla's charging network, is that enough range to drive, say, cross country?
Super easy.
Just set your journey in the nav and let it tell you where to charge and how long to charge.
It send alerts to your phone to let you know its ready to go.
Use the energy display to show you what your energy usage is - at least until you're comfortable with it.
Set your battery display to percentage not miles - you will be happier :)

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Use A Better Routeplanner to plan a few trips you might want to do with the Y. If you're just going on an interstate between cities you should be in good shape. If you want to be out in the EV "boonies" you'll want to make sure there is some means of charging available there.

We use our X 100D (less range than the LR Y) to travel across the continent, west coast and east coast. My mom and our two kids each have Superchargers conveniently located near them now. Before then we plugged into their 120V 15A outlets and stayed plugged in as much as possible, which also worked fine. We made one trip to Bryce Canyon by using a destination charger at the inn we stayed at. Lots of different things you can do, but some places will take more planning.

Roughly 20% of our total trip time is charging, but we also eat lunch or dinner, explore, shop or just walk around during that time. I wouldn't have it any other way. And Autopilot is a big enabler. I wouldn't be taking road trips without it. With regular Supercharging breaks and AP you actually feel like a human being after driving all day.

The Y performance is rated for 280 miles if you get the performance upgrade package. you only get 315 if you forgo the 21 in wheels, upgraded suspension and brakes. of course, as other had said, the rated mileage is only during ideal condition, you will almost never get that in real life.

Is there a way to put in round trips? For instance; Going from point A to point C and back. Point B would be a Tesla SC, that is 125 miles from point A and 80 miles from point C. Clear as mud?

I downloaded a better route planner. Like the App so far. It tells me to stop at Point B (SC) on the way down for 7 minutes, and on the way back for 14 minutes. That made me laugh. I'm not cutting it that close!

Ahh. Learn the taper of charging. That is what Abetterrouteplanner does for you. It will help you have shorter charging sessions. Many a time I have chatted with folks that had no idea that they didn't need to charge to 90% while tripping cross country.

I have 8 solo drives with about 1200 miles done in a 24 hour period. I spend on average 16-21 minutes per session. Unless you have something else to do, or are trying to skip a charger this really makes road trips easy.

So I say Y not take your Y on roadtrips. Y it will do just fine.

Edit: Yes some are as short as 6 or 7 minutes, and I will pull in with 5% without sweating.

I downloaded a better route planner. Like the App so far. It tells me to stop at Point B (SC) on the way down for 7 minutes, and on the way back for 14 minutes. That made me laugh. I'm not cutting it that close!

One cool feature of the app is you can set the minimum battery level you want when arriving at charging stations and your destination. I think it defaults to 10%.

Reactions: KingPaul
Is there a way to put in round trips? For instance; Going from point A to point C and back. Point B would be a Tesla SC, that is 125 miles from point A and 80 miles from point C. Clear as mud?

As you travel, your display will show the amount (+/-) that you will have when you return to your origination point. You can use this to do what you are asking if you restart your destination from your charging point.

Reactions: KingPaul
I agree with everyone saying Abetterrouteplanner. Its great, especially if you fine tune the arrival SoC % and have it use your own live data from your tesla account.

One thing to keep in mind is your car's Nav system wont know you're going to the superchargers ABRP is recommending, so you should set those as your destination for each leg, and not necessarily your end destination. That way the battery will start preconditioning for charging correctly. There are plenty of times my car wants me to go to a farther station, but me, ABRP and my lead foot know its better to go to one earlier.

No, you can't add waypoints in the car's NAV, which is sort of annoying.

That said, the display shows the expected SOC for a round trip back to the point of origin for a few seconds after entering a destination, and you can see that number if you expand the text directions while en route.

• Helpful
Reactions: kevin1 and KingPaul