Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y makes strange sound at low speed. Not pedestrian warning system. What is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all!!

I have had my Y for a week now. It is awesome! But I just noticed a weird sound when pulling into my garage. It does not sound the like pedestrian warning system (PWS) I have seen on Youtube. It sounds more like a snap, crackle, and pop sound. Sounds much more like the Rice Crispy Mobile instead of the Jetsons. Possibly something scrapping or dragging. Not sure if this sound is made at all times, but I can definitely hear it at low speeds and when in the garage. Here is a link to a video I made:

Do any other Ys make this noise? Any suggestions on what this is?

Definitely not normal. Sounds like plastic being slapped by something, like if your wheel was catching on body plastic, but you're moving too slow for that to being making that rapid noise if it was that. I'd call it in right away.

• Helpful
Reactions: kevin1
I read other people complaining about the Aero caps making a sound. Maybe try pulling them off and seeing if the noise goes away?

That is exactly where the sounds are coming from. As soon as I touched the hubcaps, I could hear the exact same noise. Just took them off and all sound is completely gone......thank for for the idea!!

Now, lets see how Telsa will fix. I already have an appointment to fix a few other minor issues on Tuesday, so hopefully they can address this as well.

Thanks!!!!

Reactions: geekfam and Kelr316

SC fixed it for me but said they were doing it to be nice and really it wasn’t a problem.

I have the same thing on my 2021 Model Y.

Did Tesla come up with a solution for this? If I make an appointment will they fix this so that it stops?

@Mark_H yep, all of us with the 19" wheels with the Gemini covers installed have this horrible noise. I had our MY in the service center for an unrelated issue a couple of weeks after getting it and they wouldn't do anything for it when I asked them to snip the tabs. Your mileage may vary.