Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performace vs LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we ordered a Model Y Long Range last week. I keep thinking that the biggest "high" when we test drove the model Y and 3 last week was the absolute rush we got off the line when we drove the performance versions. I now know about the $2k acceleration boost available on the LR. The smile on my wife's face when I floored the performance version Model 3 was classic! Talk me into changing my order from a Model Y LR to a Performance version. Or have I already done that?

If there is a question somewhere in your post I can't find it. The acceleration boost (AB) upgrade is only available for the Long Range Model Y (also Long Range Model 3.) The acceleration boost will not turn a long range Model Y/Model 3 into a Performance model but it will unleash more power from the front drive unit motor. Expect about 0.6 second quicker 0 to 60 time in the Long Range Model Y; 4.2 sec versus 4.8 sec without the AB. (The Performance Model Y is spec'd at 3.5 sec 0 to 60, has a higher top speed.) With a 1 foot rollout some Long Range Model Y owners are getting ~4.0 sec with the AB, still a half second slower than the Performance Model Y. You can't configure the 7 seat option on the Performance Model Y but you can get a tow hitch.

Modify your order and upgrade to the Performance and don't look back. The thrill and pleasure you experienced test driving the Performance cannot be replicated by a LR, even with the Acceleration Boost.

When I first placed my order in the summer of 2020, I started with a LR. I vascillated on whether I should change my order. After years of owning several performance cars I knew I ultimately wouldn't be happy with it long term. I upgraded to the Performance and didn't look back.

Reasons, besides price, that i didnt go Performance,
1. Rim size = ride quality. range reduction, replacement tire costs
2. Suspension= funner to drive but harsher, and the Y isn't that great of a ride already

Food for thought:
7 seater wont fit anyone but tiny kids in, at least for any reasonable amount of time.
If you dont have kids, or people to take on long trips....get the Model 3 , and get the Performance if you just want that extra half second.

MYP=$73,990 Faster, Lower, 21 inch wheels

LR=$65,490 with induction 20 inch wheels
ADD Wheels $2000+1000 (tires)
ADD MPP3 Crossover Coils $2900+400-700 install cost
4x TPMS $300
Mods TotalL ca $6800ish + $2000 for boots = $15600

It kind of all equals out depending what mods you are doing. MYP will be always faster though.

If I got the MYP = I would at a minimum ditch the 21 and get my own 20 inch rims... Maybe 19s... hmm then MPP Coils.. hmm k thats it.

So depending on what direction you go with, you pay almost the same price. Difference is that you MYP is probably fully supported by SC, wheras the other option maybe give you trouble on suspension parts and resale car if you are going to trade within tesla. Plus the mods you made will make you look like not part of a Tesla Model Y fleet on the road.

(on a personal note.. oh crap I spent 15k - 2000(boost) last month. Okay I'm done fixing up this car!!!.......hmmm.. After purchasing/installing wall charger then I'm done.

Ultimately if you get the LR, add induction wheels.

I have a performance and honestly I wonder if it was worth it sometimes. I never test drove the LR with acceleration boost but I honestly wonder if the 9k increase in amount is worth the 0-60 being .7s faster (with rollout).

Im not saying if I reordered I would get a LR but I think I’d consider it more because there just isn’t enough performance difference, and the physical differences don’t seem like enough to warrant the 11k price difference. Especially when you could get a MYLR with FSD for the cost of a base MYP. Idk food for thought.

Bought my wife a M3P and while it's fast from a dig, I don't see how much fun that is in city traffic. Sure it's nice to have power when you need it, but it's not like the MYLR is a slouch even without acceleration boost. It's already faster than most cars on the road. I recently picked up a MYLR and it drives nothing like the M3P in terms of dynamics, it's no fun going into corners. Just don't see the joy in being able to just hammer it going straight.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
TL;DR: if you can part with $8000 and not think twice, get the Performance version. If spending the money will keep you up at night, LR+AB is absolutely the way to go.

I also went back and forth; I originally ordered a Performance and, when the brief price cut occurred in late Feb/early March, switched to the LR. Took delivery, drove for a couple of weeks and got Acceleration Boost. Love AB; I'll recommend the upgrade to anyone who asks—it's a huge difference from stock LR.

One thing I've personally learned is 0-60 isn't as relevant a performance metric in day-to-day driving as much as the acceleration when passing cars on the freeway or exiting corners (e.g., making a right-hand turn into oncoming traffic and speeding up to avoid being rear-ended).

MYP=$73,990 Faster, Lower, 21 inch wheels

LR=$65,490 with induction 20 inch wheels
ADD Wheels $2000+1000 (tires)
ADD MPP3 Crossover Coils $2900+400-700 install cost
4x TPMS $300
Mods TotalL ca $6800ish + $2000 for boots = $15600

It kind of all equals out depending what mods you are doing. MYP will be always faster though.

If I got the MYP = I would at a minimum ditch the 21 and get my own 20 inch rims... Maybe 19s... hmm then MPP Coils.. hmm k thats it.

So depending on what direction you go with, you pay almost the same price. Difference is that you MYP is probably fully supported by SC, wheras the other option maybe give you trouble on suspension parts and resale car if you are going to trade within tesla. Plus the mods you made will make you look like not part of a Tesla Model Y fleet on the road.

(on a personal note.. oh crap I spent 15k - 2000(boost) last month. Okay I'm done fixing up this car!!!.......hmmm.. After purchasing/installing wall charger then I'm done.

Ultimately if you get the LR, add induction wheels.
I went the LR Y with boost route mostly because I knew I would rip out the suspension and wheels.

Reactions: Wreckz
The suspension and the wheels were a no go for me and I could not justify the extra money for the Performance Y and then purchasing new wheels/tires and coils. I was lucky enough to snag a Stealth Y last summer but with those being impossible to find, I would go with the LR and purchase the AB.

Reactions: whisperingshad
I could have gone either way, LR or P. I had an overnight loaner and was set on getting a LR. Then I wanted to wait for the new console before ordering. During that time I decided why not might as well get the P for an overnight loan to know what I was giving up and whether it was worth it.

Right away the P felt more special. I love the 21” wheels for some reason they look so much better in person. I was not a fan looking at them on the web. I love those red calipers and the spoiler. The LR was just another compact suv like a 100 others around me. Also if I got the LR, I would have added AB and Induction wheels. So the delta would have been around $7k.

I understand that you give up a lot of utilities for getting the YP including the harsher ride, more expensive tires, more chance for wheel damage, can’t drive on snow (I’m in so cal and I’ll get some chains), slightly less range etc...

Then I took my wife for a drive in the LR and the P to make sure she’s ok w the ride. She said the Y LR had a better ride than her 2018 M3 LR AWD and the YP was just slightly harsher but still better than her M3. She said just get the YP lol. You only live once so I said ok what the heck.

How much extra would you pay for a more special car? It’s not just about a faster zero to 60 time. Think of the memories you’ll make from this car over the next few years ie road trips w the wife, stop lights next to exotics in Mexico, or just your daily morning drives to work. I’m planning to keep this car for 5y so that’s about a grand a year for a more special car. The LR didn’t give me this feeling. How much are you be willing to pay for this experience? I guess only you can decide...

I will provide my experience, and you can take it for what it is.

I also had an order for MYP in the beginning. After about a week, I cancelled and reorder for MYLR. Here were my reasons:
  1. I live in an urban area. Going that fast between traffic light is stupid in my opinion. The only time I'll ever get to floor it is freeway entrance, and that's pretty much it.
  2. I knew that suspensions and tires were going to be ripped out. I already have MPP Coilovers, and have TE37's on the way.
  3. I'm not going to track the car. I've tracked my previous cars. It's a money pit and extremely time consuming. I already scratched that itch.
My LR+AB is the fastest car I've ever driven. I really don't need to go 0.7 seconds faster. It's a noticeable difference, no one can disregard that. But I bought a Y for my family, and with a baby car seat in the back I'm not going to squeeze the full performance out of the MYP enough to justify the cost. Hell I haven't even done a true 0-60 "wide open throttle" on my LR+AB yet. If I wasn't looking for a family car and really wanted performance, I would have went for the M3P, no doubt.

All in all, it really just comes down to what makes sense for you, and what makes you happy at the end of the day. For me I put that $10k into coilovers and wheels and that makes me damn happy. I get to lug my family around in a pretty spacious car, and when I'm alone I get to enjoy the madness that is instant torque. It's an all around best choice for me to go with LR+AB.

Last edited:
The suspension and the wheels were a no go for me and I could not justify the extra money for the Performance Y and then purchasing new wheels/tires and coils. I was lucky enough to snag a Stealth Y last summer but with those being impossible to find, I would go with the LR and purchase the AB.
My wifes y has the 20" induction, and on trips to DC, the ride on those roads are..harsh. I cant even remotely imagine 21" performance wheels on NYC roads. Brutal. (and I LIKE a firm suspension)

My wifes y has the 20" induction, and on trips to DC, the ride on those roads are..harsh. I cant even remotely imagine 21" performance wheels on NYC roads. Brutal. (and I LIKE a firm suspension)
We drove through NJ into NY on a recent road trip and I must say some of those roads are atrocious. I almost missed a pothole in NJ that was at least 2 feet across and about 8 inches down. If I hadn't been paying attention and road over that, I would have 100% destroyed the battery and suspension on the car. I can't imagine how the roads are so bad.