Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performace vs LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The suspension and the wheels were a no go for me and I could not justify the extra money for the Performance Y and then purchasing new wheels/tires and coils. I was lucky enough to snag a Stealth Y last summer but with those being impossible to find, I would go with the LR and purchase the AB.
I wish they still had the Stealth model. Around here the 35 series tires just won't work for me.

I went with a MYP because I personally like all of the additional options that a performance model comes with plus the speed. I know it may not be worth the extra $10k, but I see LR owners basically do all the same upgrades like a performance (i.e., add spoiler, paint calipers, boost upgrade, etc) which at the end of the day can add up (still not $10k worth but you get the idea) but LRs will never be able to get 3.5 and that was the deciding factor for me. Its nice to know I have the potential to go fast even though I hardly ever do hahaha.

I went with the MY LR + Acceleration boost and am very happy.
I totally could have afforded the MYP but it was not worth the decrease in range, and the harsher driving due to the bigger wheels.

If I could have purchased the MYP with the Gemini wheels I would have chosen it.
However, I think the 4.2s on the MY LR with the acceleration boost is more than enough.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Performance is 0.5 seconds faster 0-60 than the AB-LR, not 0.7 seconds. MYP's 3.5 is with rollout, AB-LR's is 4.2 with rollout and 3.95 to 4.0 without.

I don't agree with tesla's market strategy about the rollouts, but if the MYP didn't have 21in ubers it would hit 3.5 without the rollout. Of course that's more cost to get a new set of wheels/tires.

I live an environment that gets occasional snow, where it’s cold and messy enough to warrant either winter tires or a great set of all seasons — but not enough to warrant chains .

Staggered summer tires on 21” wheels is a non starter.

Reactions: MGsurf
Reasons to get P:
Faster
Stiffer suspension
Maybe nicer looking with larger wheels
Maybe upgraded headlights?

Reasons to get LR:
Much cheaper
Better ride
Smaller wheels mean cheaper tires and less chance of wheel damage on bumps. Also better ride.
Already fast

We own an I-Pace. It's in the middle of the two performance-wise. 4.5 seconds to 60. I find that I almost never use the full acceleration. 99% of the time, I'm driving in a way or place that faster acceleration is pointless. 99% of the time, I want a pleasant ride. 99% of the time the LR will be the superior vehicle. Uncorking .8 second for 2k sounds fun, but I'll have to see how I feel about it.

Reactions: Deutsch100
We went back to Tesla and test drove both the Model Y LR and Performance this morning. Both cars had about 120 range left on them which I'm sure aren't ideal for 0-60 acceleration testing. We drove the P first and the LR last as I felt that would let me know if I would really be satisfied with the LR. I've got to admit that the acceleration of the LR excited me just as much as the P and it look's like we are sticking with our LR order. They both put a smile on my wife's face and made getting back behind the wheel of her HEMI Charger feel like we were driving a Chevette. :)

So we ordered a Model Y Long Range last week. I keep thinking that the biggest "high" when we test drove the model Y and 3 last week was the absolute rush we got off the line when we drove the performance versions. I now know about the $2k acceleration boost available on the LR. The smile on my wife's face when I floored the performance version Model 3 was classic! Talk me into changing my order from a Model Y LR to a Performance version. Or have I already done that?
I did an overnight loaner in a LR AWD, and then test drove the PD3+ the next day. Easiest decision I ever made.

There is one thing that many don’t realize. The performance Y‘s motors are slightly more efficient than the long range Y. Our friend’s Model Y LR with Geminis has slightly higher wh / mi compared to our performance Y. I first saw this way back when itesla Brian did a convoy with a friend that had a LR Y.

There is one thing that many don’t realize. The performance Y‘s motors are slightly more efficient than the long range Y. Our friend’s Model Y LR with Geminis has slightly higher wh / mi compared to our performance Y. I first saw this way back when itesla Brian did a convoy with a friend that had a LR Y.

@Sixth while this does appear to be the case, I don't think many would be willing to pay the extra cost for a MYP over LR AWD simply for the slightly higher efficiency.

I haven't seen any controlled tests to validate this. From what I've seen, the 980 motors are less efficient.

I did a drive against my wife's M3P and she was 20 wh/mi less efficient despite being 400 lbs less weight. Speeds were 65 mph the whole way.