Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performace vs LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen any controlled tests to validate this. From what I've seen, the 980 motors are less efficient.

I did a drive against my wife's M3P and she was 20 wh/mi less efficient despite being 400 lbs less weight. Speeds were 65 mph the whole wa

I don’t break 300 wh/mi at 70mph and that’s with Uberturbines (even on mild highway inclines) The Long range Y does 280 wh/mi more or less with Geminis.

I have a performance and honestly I wonder if it was worth it sometimes. I never test drove the LR with acceleration boost but I honestly wonder if the 9k increase in amount is worth the 0-60 being .7s faster (with rollout).

Im not saying if I reordered I would get a LR but I think I’d consider it more because there just isn’t enough performance difference, and the physical differences don’t seem like enough to warrant the 11k price difference. Especially when you could get a MYLR with FSD for the cost of a base MYP. Idk food for thought.
Agreed with you said.

I also believe, anyone that’s actually driving their car more then 10-12k miles a year is better off with LR model. Tires alone are going to cost you $15-1600 for every 10-12k miles you drive. If it’s not, you’re driving like a Karen and aren’t utilizing the cars suspension and power anyhow so you wasted your money for the one or two tim a month you decide to goose it. On top of that like many of us. If you’re in multi-seasoned climate you’ll instantly have to drop 2500 that same year for a winter setup.
So 1st year not only is the car costing you 10 grand more, add another 2500 for winter set and another 1500 for those 21’s…. Lot more to think about.

The other aspect, you don’t know what you don’t have with a car. Most of us do not have a car already that does 60 in mid 4 second range so getting into a LR is like being in a rocket already.

I use to think differently when I was younger. But now that I’m a little older transitioned from my modded B8.5 S4 into my current junk bomber I drive around(Ford Explorer Sport), I don’t see the need to spend the extra 10 grand to go 0.5 a second faster. Pretty much EVERY car that you line up next to you’re gonna smoke off the line with either car. For highway… if you pull up to something half decent it’s likely gonna take you whether your in performance or LR model. Car just doesn’t do well once it’s going fast already.

And last thing, the the other hand if you got it, spend it! Can’t take it with ya! 🤪

Reactions: sjsharks33
When I bought my Model 3 in 2018, I only got the LR RWD. It is very efficient and the range is great. However, I regretted not getting the Performance Model.

So, this time when I got the Model Y, I got the Performance model. It has been a lot of fun!

Reactions: Darmie
Agreed with you said.

I also believe, anyone that’s actually driving their car more then 10-12k miles a year is better off with LR model. Tires alone are going to cost you $15-1600 for every 10-12k miles you drive. If it’s not, you’re driving like a Karen and aren’t utilizing the cars suspension and power anyhow so you wasted your money for the one or two tim a month you decide to goose it. On top of that like many of us. If you’re in multi-seasoned climate you’ll instantly have to drop 2500 that same year for a winter setup.
So 1st year not only is the car costing you 10 grand more, add another 2500 for winter set and another 1500 for those 21’s…. Lot more to think about.

The other aspect, you don’t know what you don’t have with a car. Most of us do not have a car already that does 60 in mid 4 second range so getting into a LR is like being in a rocket already.

I use to think differently when I was younger. But now that I’m a little older transitioned from my modded B8.5 S4 into my current junk bomber I drive around(Ford Explorer Sport), I don’t see the need to spend the extra 10 grand to go 0.5 a second faster. Pretty much EVERY car that you line up next to you’re gonna smoke off the line with either car. For highway… if you pull up to something half decent it’s likely gonna take you whether your in performance or LR model. Car just doesn’t do well once it’s going fast already.

And last thing, the the other hand if you got it, spend it! Can’t take it with ya! 🤪
I agree, mostly.

This car even say cruising on the highway hits 120 quite fast, leaving the competition in the dust.

On top of that like many of us. If you’re in multi-seasoned climate you’ll instantly have to drop 2500 that same year for a winter setup.
So 1st year not only is the car costing you 10 grand more, add another 2500 for winter set and another 1500 for those 21’s….

Aside: I've never understood why people buy winter wheels with their tires - why not just winter tires and pay the $100 for a shop to mount/balance twice per year?

Aside: I've never understood why people buy winter wheels with their tires - why not just winter tires and pay the $100 for a shop to mount/balance twice per year?
I presume so they don't damage their wheels due to chain use or rubbing against packed ice. Also perhaps just easier to swap out in their garage if they have two sets of premounted wheel/tires combo.

Right. That added cost for another set of wheels is specific to MYP. Several options for 19 and 20" winter tires on the LR MY.
Yep yep. But someone asked why the need to get another set of wheels for winters. Why not just take the tires back and forth. I was just saying that this is one of the reasons, lol.

It was personally a turn off for me for the MYP, besides dropping another 10g’s on the car within 6 months I would have to drop another 3 grand for a winter set. Plus I have noticed that the tires that are available for the MYP are constantly on back order. One unrepairable flat and you’re screwed if that’s the case. I do see a few people with MYP’s moving towards 20’s for the MYP’s between here and Reddit.

Reactions: john85775
I like to go fast, and have had a number of high performance cars like BMW M's and Porsche's. For me, I would not have been able to sleep at night knowing that there was a faster version of the Model Y out there so my decision to get the MYP was easy. That said, when I was originally spec'ing it on the website, you had the option to forego the free Performance Upgrade Pkg which gave you the Uberturbines, Red Calipers, suspension changes and the carbon fiber trim on the rear hatch. This "stealth" MYP was what I was planning on and I had configured the car with the 20in Induction wheels. The problem was that I had not yet taken a test drive and didn't want to pull the trigger until I had actually driven one. I tested both the LR and MYP and ran home to make the purchase, but they had changed the configuration and had made the PUP standard. I went ahead not knowing the full implications with the wheel and tire situation. I live in Atlanta and did drive on the Pirelli's all winter without a problem, but it was a mild winter without the occasional ice and light snow that we sometimes get. We did have a few days where the temps dropped into the teens but I drove on them anyway. No cracking or problems that I can see. My plan is to swap the tires out for the Michelin All Seasons in 265 for the fronts and stock size for the rears sometime this summer. The car is stupid fast and does look cool though ,and I've been happy with it so far. Just really wish they hadn't done away with the PUP as an option that you could decline.

Reactions: olsookie
I have been wrestling with this since I decided to get a MY. Knowing my FOMO, i am sticking with the Performance. I wanted to test drive both, but could only drive a P at my local Tesla store.

Reading the thread about the Michelin All-Seasons sealed the deal for me. I will just replace the summer tires with these by November or so and will not have to get the extra set of wheels.

The acceleration, Uberturbines, and spoiler would have been on my mind had i went LR.

If you have to seriously have this discussion with yourself, you are (unfortunately ;)) the type of person who cares. Then, it just comes down to money - either you can afford it or you can't. Decide and live with the decision. I hope you can find a way to make it work. Everyone else trying to justify their decision is just trying to rationalize why they didn't buy what they truly wanted. I made that mistake when I bought my X. I wanted a performance version but it was out of my price range (and I was already buying used). I promised myself I wouldn't make that mistake again and even if it meant waiting longer while I saved, I wouldn't compromise. Yes, it cost a lot but it sucks to look at your car and wish you could have gotten something a little more.

Reactions: MGsurf and Surfit34
It seems like this entire thread was all about why and how the individual came to their conclusion of choice, but your comment is one of the few (if not first) that points finger at another person for their choice. Why?
Doesn't it come across that way to you? Lots of comments about how people wanted the perf but decided the AB would be good enough or wanted the perf but wanted a softer ride or wanted the perf but didn't want to spend the money etc. That sounds like rationalization to me (and I'm a pro at that).

Reactions: MGsurf
If you have to seriously have this discussion with yourself, you are (unfortunately ;)) the type of person who cares. Then, it just comes down to money - either you can afford it or you can't.

I think this is less about money and more about weighing the value vs. the tradeoffs.

I weighed this decision really heavily. I came from a P3D- (stealth) and missed the boat on a MYP-. The issue for me is primarily ride quality, not so much money. I don't want to void my warranty with coilovers. Need winter tread because I live in a four season climate.

So imma settle with MY LR and an AB and call it good. Could I use another .5 second launch to 60? Of course! But the occasional go pedal stomp wouldn't offset a complaining spouse / passengers or my own serenity during the other 98% of my life.

I didn't see the point of a 4400 lb crossover MYP when there's a lighter M3P. MYLR for longer drives, M3P when I need to plant my neck into the seat.
If the MYP came with a squared 20" wheel setup, my decision probably would've been different, but I knew I was going with aftermarket wheels, so no point in buying the MYP, getting an aftermarket set of wheels, selling the Uberturbines, buying another set for winter. Just a bad choice of wheel/tire sizes by Tesla on the MYP.

My wifes y has the 20" induction, and on trips to DC, the ride on those roads are..harsh. I cant even remotely imagine 21" performance wheels on NYC roads. Brutal. (and I LIKE a firm suspension)
You don't have to imagine how it feels like. I can tell you my experience since I live in NYC. It's not that bad! However, I will be swapping these out for either 19 or 20 with all season.