Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performace vs LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just make sure you get a decent quality wheel. The Y is pretty heavy and has instant torque. The last thing you would want to do is snap a wheel, like this hellcat.
Adding to that you want a wheel with more spokes, more spokes equal more strength or at least a larger spoke to hub connection. Look at how wimpy the spoke to hub area is in the hellcat wheel. They're designed for looks not performance. Compare that to a set of Speedlines.

"In the long run" you'll want range, which is far more useful than being able to leave everyone at the light. The 3 is so quick that my wife's 3 leaves everyone at the light anyway, with no trouble, and her car is a single motor. My S is a bit quicker, but what I enjoy is when some dude in a loud car pulls up revving his engine, looks over, and just won't race. I suspect he's heard that he'll probably lose big time, and he can't take that chance.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
"In the long run" you'll want range, which is far more useful than being able to leave everyone at the light. The 3 is so quick that my wife's 3 leaves everyone at the light anyway, with no trouble, and her car is a single motor. My S is a bit quicker, but what I enjoy is when some dude in a loud car pulls up revving his engine, looks over, and just won't race. I suspect he's heard that he'll probably lose big time, and he can't take that chance.

Not so sure about that. I use the extra power multiple times a day. I'll max my range maybe once a year, and even then I'm not letting SOC get low enough that another ~20 miles is meaningful.

That's your preference. I prefer the performance benefits over 23 miles of extra range. Glad we have options.
That's why I don't even sweat the 4680 battery/range thing.... When I go on road trips, I have to supercharge anyways, so I don't even bother charging to 100% before I leave... Because realistically it doens't make much difference in terms of how many stops I make or duration...

Reactions: ucsdsig
If you plan on towing, and go aftermarket, make sure you check the load rating for sure.

As for the reduction in range, it wouldn't be as much of an issue if they even remotely got their rated range in the real world. I think it was Edmunds who tested a lot of EVs and ran them from 100% until they stopped at a constant 70 mph. The MYP went about 263 miles and the LR 317 miles. That isn't 23 miles difference. In fairness that was the range test on the 2020 MYP and it was rated at 291 and the newer is up 12 miles.

Even if you give it the benefit of the doubt and add 12 miles to its tested range, that is still 276 vs 317. That is closer to a 40 mile difference. That is significant in my book especially since I never charge to 100%. I never noticed a change in my range during normal driving comparing the boost before and after.

I would imagine getting rid of the boat anchor Ubers would help the range equation quite a bit on the MYP.

Even if you give it the benefit of the doubt and add 12 miles to its tested range, that is still 276 vs 317. That is closer to a 40 mile difference. That is significant in my book especially since I never charge to 100%. I never noticed a change in my range during normal driving comparing the boost before and after.
I suppose, but for me, that still won't make any difference... For example, I regularly travel between two different properties. There are 3 superchargers between the two. I still have to stop and charge once between these two places... 40 mile range difference, just means I choose a different supercharger, but doesn't change the fact that I still have to stop once... And the difference in time I spend charging is not going to be noticed. That's why I don't bother charging to 100% when I leave.

Basically yea. The Performance is tuned kind of like how Subaru tuned the early STI cars, ie. in Japan where it their road surface is insanely flat. They literally just took the dampers from the JDM cars and slapped them into the USDM car. I'm kind of surprised your later car handles the same way. The Performance is tuned with higher amounts of low speed compression, ie it feels stiffer with reduced roll but requires a bigger impact to actually compress the damper ie. overcome the bump compression. That higher impact force jars my insides. I can't use a regular mug in the wife's Performance, it would spill all over the place, even holding it in hand vs cup holder. The impact forces transferred to the cabin in the Performance is on the level of lowered car on crappy coilovers like google the JIC FLT A1 on the early Subarus. It's kidney pounding but in the Performance its wrapped in a much better isolated chassis that rides on a silly amount of elastomer damping, ie. the top hat rubber and bump stops so your brain gets tricked into thinking it feels much better than it is. As you can read I don't mince words when it comes to Tesla's simplistic damper tuning. However the chassis can be easily improved with a good set of coilovers that have low speed bump adjustment and there are a few good choices in that dept. With a good set of adjustable dampers you can get it much more comfortable for a sports car but it will never be a Benz though just keep that in mind.

That said, just like with the WRX you can't build a STI from the WRX for the difference in cost between them. In the case of the Tesla you can't do that at all due to the changes in the motors and whatever else undocumented changes.
This makes me really regret my decision to switch to the P from LR.

For the record it is our roads that are terrible. The ride quality is what it is, you either like it or not. If not, there are aftermarket solutions including comfort springs and coil-over suspension kits. Perhaps in the future even after market air suspension kits for the Model Y (air suspension kits exist for the Tesla Model 3.) I have only seen one reference to a custom installation of air suspension in the Tesla Model Y.

For the record it is our roads that are terrible. The ride quality is what it is, you either like it or not. If not, there are aftermarket solutions including comfort springs and coil-over suspension kits. Perhaps in the future even after market air suspension kits for the Model Y (air suspension kits exist for the Tesla Model 3.) I have only seen one reference to a custom installation of air suspension in the Tesla Model Y.
If roads were perfect and new then it wouldnt matter...except for driveways, speedbumps....at which the Y is HORRID going over.

This makes me really regret my decision to switch to the P from LR.
I wouldn't regret it that much given the performance it's capable of it should be expected. The Performance does 0-60 in 3.5 secs sub sub 12sec quarter, that is rare in a suv. You'd need a Lambo Urus to beat it. In that context the P is a heck of a deal, a budget given its acceleration ability.
So only way is to spend more money and get the comfort coilovers.
Yea, basically... though comfort is kind of a misnomer, more comfortable but it's not gonna turn it into a Lexus.