Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performace vs LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla aside, there are all sorts of off road accessories available for Jeep vehicles and pickup trucks. It is a large industry where hundreds if not thousands of independent suppliers market niche products to consumers. These manufacturers would be impacted if their products could automatically be claimed to cause vehicle problems.

Actually you don't need a lawyer for arbitration, that's the whole point. You could still hire one if you want. That said if there's history and precedent of an issue, Tesla has nothing to stand on making such a claim. If arms are breaking on stock cars, there goes an assumed claim that aftermarket damper broke the arm. Read the law, they actually have to prove whatever X part caused whatever damage.

Btw, if you look thru your linked thread closely you'll find it links to another thread stating that it's a known issue on those specific early cars. What does that mean, it's a design flaw.
Good luck with that. You’re going to be really disappointed when you figure out how those warranty claims work in the real world.

I’m really struggling. I have a LR set for delivery in about a week or so but in the back of my mind, I think I might regret not getting the MYP It’s about an $8k diff with a wheel swap (live in Chicagoland so 21’s aren’t an option). $8k seems like a bunch of $ for some added acceleration. (Planning on getting the AB if I got the LR). I’m used to sports cars and do love the slammed back in your seat feeling for fun ‘Sunday’ drives and don’t think the ride quality would be an issue (but it is my daily / family car). I drove both and liked both. If i didn’t know about the MYP I would totally think the MY LR was a great car. The MYP was like holy *%#$ this car is fast and the LR was ‘alright, this thing moves good’. Not sure if the initial thrill of the P will fade in a week though.

If you had both in front of you and the $8k diff wouldn’t be hugely life changing, what would you choose being in the Midwest? Anyone buy the LR and have major regrets (or vice versa)? Does the P’s thrill wear off? I haven’t driven the LR + AB so don’t know if it’s the same kind of holy %#$* feeling as the P. Anybody?

Last edited:
I’m really struggling. I have a LR set for delivery in about a week or so but in the back of my mind, I think I might regret not getting the MYP It’s about an $8k diff with a wheel swap (live in Chicagoland so 21’s aren’t an option). $8k seems like a bunch of $ for some added acceleration. (Planning on getting the AB if I got the LR). I’m used to sports cars and do love the slammed back in your seat feeling for fun ‘Sunday’ drives and don’t think the ride quality would be an issue (but it is my daily / family car). I drove both and liked both. If i didn’t know about the MYP I would totally think the MY LR was a great car. The MYP was like holy *%#$ this car is fast and the LR was ‘alright, this thing moves good’. Not sure if the initial thrill of the P will fade in a week though.

If you had both in front of you and the $8k diff wouldn’t be hugely life changing, what would you choose being in the Midwest? Anyone buy the LR and have major regrets (or vice versa)? Does the P’s thrill wear off? I haven’t driven the LR + AB so don’t know if it’s the same kind of holy %#$* feeling as the P. Anybody?
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this and what’s best for you may be different that what was best for others. I can say in my situation the price delta was greater than it is now plus the whole wheel and tire thing got…..well tiresome. The fact that I would have just bought an new car especially coming in now almost fall and I was going to have to at the very least swap out the tires and maybe even wheels and tires just was not worth it for me.

I figured it was best to go the opposite route and get the LR and AB down the road, have a little more comfort and get almost as fast as the MYP for a lot less money.

You are going to get a lot of opinions on this and what’s best for you may be different that what was best for others. I can say in my situation the price delta was greater than it is now plus the whole wheel and tire thing got…..well tiresome. The fact that I would have just bought an new car especially coming in now almost fall and I was going to have to at the very least swap out the tires and maybe even wheels and tires just was not worth it for me.

I figured it was best to go the opposite route and get the LR and AB down the road, have a little more comfort and get almost as fast as the MYP for a lot less money.
In 2019, I got a LR 3 and then added AB. Loved the car that way. Both the P and boosted LR were the same north of 60mph. I just ordered a MYP, only because I couldn’t get a LR (to boost) anytime this millennium…

The impulsive and emotional part of my brain liked the sportier cosmetics of the MYP. This part of me also somehow just wanted the best model available, regardless of the fact that the MYLR+AB already accelerates every bit, if not faster, than any competitive BMW (X3M or X3 M40i) or Audi SQ5.

The rational and analytical part of my brain hated that all-season tires were not available for the MYP, and I'm definitely not the type to turn my house into a garage warehouse for storing spare tires. I don't drive recklessly, nor engage in track or street racing, and I try to use regenerative braking every time I slow down, so the MYP brakes are completely superfluous.

The price difference between the two was a non-factor for me.

Only you know what kind of personality you have; my guess is that, judging from your question, you should probably go for the MYP.

In 2019, I got a LR 3 and then added AB. Loved the car that way. Both the P and boosted LR were the same north of 60mph. I just ordered a MYP, only because I couldn’t get a LR (to boost) anytime this millennium…
Thanks. I’ve been seeing a lot of people buying MYP solely to get ahead of the wait. I happen to be at the end of a grueling wait and am not just deciding I might want to go he MYP route. Doh!

The impulsive and emotional part of my brain liked the sportier cosmetics of the MYP. This part of me also somehow just wanted the best model available, regardless of the fact that the MYLR+AB already accelerates every bit, if not faster, than any competitive BMW (X3M or X3 M40i) or Audi SQ5.

The rational and analytical part of my brain hated that all-season tires were not available for the MYP, and I'm definitely not the type to turn my house into a garage warehouse for storing spare tires. I don't drive recklessly, nor engage in track or street racing, and ld probably go for the MYP.
Thanks. I ordered a MYP and some Tsportsline TSV 19 inch wheels/tires. I think the LR+AB would be more than fine (and the economical decision) but I know myself (and I got approval from the wife) and I'd always regret not getting the MYP. Done and done.

Last edited:
I’ve been into fast cars for as long as I can remember. For a family car, the LR was fast enough and I wanted a comfortable ride (which is appreciated 100% of the time vs. the times you need to punch it). Will get AB, just cause, and call it a day. I’d regret it more if it was a harsh ride all the time

I’ve been into fast cars for as long as I can remember. For a family car, the LR was fast enough and I wanted a comfortable ride (which is appreciated 100% of the time vs. the times you need to punch it). Will get AB, just cause, and call it a day. I’d regret it more if it was a harsh ride all the time
Yeah, I hear you on the harsher ride. Something I’m contemplating. I think putting the 19 inch TSV’s on it will help with that quite a bit (anyone confirm?). I test drove the LR and P back to back and the P was definitely a little more rattling over the bumps (but didn’t get the sense it was too bad). I have an s2000 and had a WRX so I think I’m a bit used to the bumpy ride. I also have a mini van that rides like a cloud so I think it will be a nice balance for me. ;)

One thing that helped me solidify my decision to go the MYP route is the crappy tires that come with the inductions on the LR. While they are all seasons, their snow rating is not good (4/10). I would need to replace them with a new all season anyway since I’m in Chicago and drive all winter. That made the cost even less when factoring in the new rims+tires (with good all seasons) and selling the Ubers. The cost diff in the end will be around $4-4500 and I will have a sporty alternative to the mini van.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear you on the harsher ride. Something I’m contemplating. I think putting the 19 inch TSV’s on it will help with that quite a bit (anyone confirm?). I test drove the LR and P back to back and the P was definitely a little more rattling over the bumps (but didn’t get the sense it was too bad). I have an s2000 and had a WRX so I think I’m a bit used to the bumpy ride. I also have a mini van that rides like a cloud so I think it will be a nice balance for me. ;)

One thing that helped me solidify my decision to go the MYP route is the crappy tires that come with the inductions on the LR. While they are all seasons, their snow rating is not good (4/10). I would need to replace them with a new all season anyway since I’m in Chicago and drive all winter. That made the cost even less when factoring in the new rims+tires (with good all seasons) and selling the Ubers. The cost diff in the end will be around $4-4500 and I will have a sporty alternative to the mini van.
Something to keep in mind with the Conti’s on the 19s. There’s not a ton of reviews on them on Tire Rack, so sample size is still small. When I did a search, there were people who were happy with both the Conti and Goodyears (Gemini and Induction) as well as others who thought they were crap. My plan is to see for myself and honestly, don’t expect them to last long. Will replace with DWS06 or some sort of Michelins

Reactions: Crypto2k3
I'm probably one of the few people here that got a MYP, sold the 21" Uberturbines, just to put on some different 21" wheels. In reality though, I bought the 21" wheels when I only had my LR order and was planning on running them on that car, and never thought about getting a MYP at the time.

After driving 600 miles on the 21" square setup for a couple of weeks now, I wouldn't have it any other way, but that's me as ymmv.

Can anyone weigh in on how much faster/sportier the P is vs LR? Bought my wife a LR w/induction wheels. VERY impressed. So much so I’m thinking of replacing my Porsche with a YP. I know we are talking apples vs oranges but, I’m curious how much sportier the P is?

Can anyone weigh in on how much faster/sportier the P is vs LR? Bought my wife a LR w/induction wheels. VERY impressed. So much so I’m thinking of replacing my Porsche with a YP. I know we are talking apples vs oranges but, I’m curious how much sportier the P is?
The P has a stiffer and lower suspension some other tweaks like brakes, spolier etc. On the surface it seems like a lot more cash but once you start adding options to a LR the cost difference shrinks mightily. It's a half second faster than the LR with the acceleration boost option which is a 2K upgrade purchase via the phone app. What Porsche are you coming from? Personally I would get the P. I've got a Turbo and a STI and the P faster than them both w/o trying. I'm older now so I don't want to have to roll thru the gears with the exhaust blaring to go fast anymore. I still enjoy the ice cars but man for everyday, it's just so much more comfy in the wife's MYP. I'm handing down my Subie to my kid, crosses fingers he doesn't crash it. I'll probably finish de-tracking the Turbo (sell it) and just buy a M3P and be done with it myself.

Reactions: Gellie
The P has a stiffer and lower suspension some other tweaks like brakes, spolier etc. On the surface it seems like a lot more cash but once you start adding options to a LR the cost difference shrinks mightily. It's a half second faster than the LR with the acceleration boost option which is a 2K upgrade purchase via the phone app. What Porsche are you coming from? Personally I would get the P. I've got a Turbo and a STI and the P faster than them both w/o trying. I'm older now so I don't want to have to roll thru the gears with the exhaust blaring to go fast anymore. I still enjoy the ice cars but man for everyday, it's just so much more comfy in the wife's MYP. I'm handing down my Subie to my kid, crosses fingers he doesn't crash it. I'll probably finish de-tracking the Turbo (sell it) and just buy a M3P and be done with it myself.
Thanks. Just sold my 17 911s Cab , for what I paid for it in 17. stupid crazy price. I just figured I’d wait until spring a reassess. Do you thing the M3P is better performance ?

Last edited:
I'd recommend the performance over the long range for everyone coming from a fast car. There are a lot of people who complain the MYP has bad suspension, but I really like the way it handles. Plus the lowered suspension is not low to the point I scrape anywhere. I go over speed bumps, driveways, and heavy incline driveways without any issues. The instant torque is absolutely addicting. My bro has a 911s and that thing is only good for peacocking. My MYP is probably quicker and can easily beat his Porsche. I tried to drive the Porsche and it was very uneventful. I'd rather drive my Tesla any day.

Reactions: Gellie
MYP handles ok. Horrible when compared to a proper sports car in corners and fast transitions though. First clover leaf freeway interchange and you’ll notice the difference between your 911 and the MYP. It’s a classic American muscle car. Fast in the straight line but not really suited for corners.

MYP handles ok. Horrible when compared to a proper sports car in corners and fast transitions though. First clover leaf freeway interchange and you’ll notice the difference between your 911 and the MYP. It’s a classic American muscle car. Fast in the straight line but not really suited for corners.
I feel it’s pretty decent for an SUV/crossover. Not sure you can really compare it to the 911