Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y Performance - how to minimize tire costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which option would be the most economical in the long run (requiring less maintenance, replacement, lower tire cost, etc)?
(A) Keep the 21", and get Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 (I save the cost of changing wheels & buying TPMS sensors)
(B) Change to 19" for the benefits of square setup, more tire options, and more protection from potholes (BTW, what are the pros of 20" over 19"?)

Also, would winter tires be necessary for California ski resorts, which I visit 4 months a year?
Not sure having both summer tires and winter tires and changing them every year is worth the price/hassle.
I also don't have a garage so can't store tires.

I would absolutely opt for option B. That's what I'm doing with my MYP to be delivered in Jan 2022. I already picked up a set of 19" Gemini wheels wrapped in Continental M+S tires that I will use as my winter set to drive to Mammoth Mountain. You don't need dedicated snow tires for the resorts here in California but just make sure you have a set of chains on you.

B is the most economical since tires for 19" are generally less expensive, especially square setup. Snow tires or chains are even more important on snowy, hilly, mountain roads; This is where turning and stopping abilities are most critical. All seasons are acceptable in relatively flat, straight, snowy roads.

I would absolutely opt for option B. That's what I'm doing with my MYP to be delivered in Jan 2022. I already picked up a set of 19" Gemini wheels wrapped in Continental M+S tires that I will use as my winter set to drive to Mammoth Mountain. You don't need dedicated snow tires for the resorts here in California but just make sure you have a set of chains on you.
Have you seen what chains do to these rims? Google it..

Reactions: Clark_Kent
Thanks!
Where did you purchase your wheels and tires?
What will you do with your 21" wheels and tires?

If you plan on visiting ski resorts you absolutely will have to swap tires. The OEM MYP tires are not suitable for the snow.
OEM as in performance summer Perelis are no good for snow.

I’m from the northwest and have taken my model X up to mountains near Portland and also near Bachelor in dead winter on good all season tires, on 22” wheels and they performed very well. Never a sub for dedicated winter tires but plowed through pretty decent powder to hard packed snow.

For our MYP we have on order, I went for the Michelin AS pilot 4s and sticking with 21s. Should do just fine for weekend trips up mountains in Cali. Get the correct chains for the MYP if you go this route, it’s gonna cost you an arm and leg but worth it if you ever need it.

If you want most economical go with 19s in a square set up. Or go with a LR so you don’t wear out your tires as quickly :)

I’m from the northwest and have taken my model X up to mountains near Portland and also near Bachelor in dead winter on good all season tires, on 22” wheels and they performed very well. Never a sub for dedicated winter tires but plowed through pretty decent powder to hard packed snow.

For our MYP we have on order, I went for the Michelin AS pilot 4s and sticking with 21s. Should do just fine for weekend trips up mountains in Cali. Get the correct chains for the MYP if you go this route, it’s gonna cost you an arm and leg but worth it if you ever need it.

If you want most economical go with 19s in a square set up. Or go with a LR so you don’t wear out your tires as quickly :)
The Pirelli PZ4 is the sole tire option for the MYP which is why I said OEM.

Most economical:
Option B: Go with 19" or 18" wheels. Use a "all weather" tire with 50,000 or more tread life. (CrossclimateSUV, crossclimate2, Vredestein quatrac pro, Vredestein Hitrac, continental crosscontact lx25). Sale the 21" wheels & tires. Sale the 21" wheels & tires.

You cannot drive the summers on snow. Not even carefully, or "chancing" it. I had multiple horrifying experiences doing this. It's crazy that the car ships to cold areas with this as the only tire. Even on dry roads, with temperatures below ~40F you may find yourself sliding if you stop short. In snow you'll be lucky not to crash.

I have a similar experience... Also in PacNW. All my cars have either DWS 06 Plus or Pilot Sport A/S. We go to the mountains in the winter all the time, and we live on the top of a hill. I have chains for all my cars, but I have never actually used any of them... Haven't needed to... Well, one of them was used, but not by me, I had to pull over and let my friend following me use it to chain up their Explorer, cus he got stuck on our way to Mt Hood.

Haven't figured out the chain situation with our Y. I don't think I can get chains that will clear the steering knuckle, especially with oversized tires. I don't plan on having to use them, but sometimes you just need to carry them just in case and/or becuase it's the law when certain requirements are in place.

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
It sounds like most posts recommend the ZR speed rating for the Pilot Sport A/S on a MYP. Is the ZR required or can you go with the regular R rating, ie 265/35R-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL as opposed to 265/35ZR-21 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL?

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

Thank you.
FWIW, Pilot Sport A/S in 21" are ALL Z rated... You can't go by the R or ZR being in the size, that's not really standardized... If you want to see the speed rating, you have to look at the load rating... For example, for the Pilot Sport A/S 4, in 265/35-21, the loadrating is 101Y. In this case, the speed rating is "Y".

Z is a deprecated speed rating, that used to denote 149+mph. The problem was other speed rating gave a maximum speed, like V was capped at 149... Z was not capped... This was addressed with the new W and Y speed ratings... W is capped at 168 and Y is capped at 186.

Reactions: bluestonex