Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y performance vs long range 3 handling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve made the decision to buy a Tesla Performance, but only could drive the long range models on a test today. There’s no ability (at least here in NY) to test a performance.

I loved the 3 and really liked the Y on my test drive. Coming from a CTS-V caddy (Highly modded Trailblazer SS before that, C5 vette before that), I would have settled for the long range 3 in handling. I was very impressed. The Y was good, but not on rails like the 3.

Either model I choose, I’m getting the performance version.

So here is the question. How does the Y performance handle vs the LONG RANGE model 3?

I know the 3 performance would be the best handling/most connected to the road, but is the difference between the long range (non-performance) Y and the performance Y night in day in terms of handling feel/road connection? Or is it simply the same as the standard y with just more lateral grip.

If the performance Y feels like the standard 3, the decision is made.

No one can tell you exactly unless you try it out for yourself. A lot of people don't know even know what lateral grip even means. I suggest you somehow get a hold of a MYP to test and see it yourself. I personally test drove the MYP and LRAWD and decided MYP is 100x better and worth it. I wish they called it LRPERF or something because lot of noobies think they get lower range or smaller battery or something when its just the heavy tires. Perf is a long range with just better brakes/spoiler/more sticky tires, etc.

I guess the specific question I have is the lowering/suspension changes make the handling feel noticeably different? Sharper/more connected specifically?

Yes it does. Noticably Different may be how sensitive you are and your experience, average joe might not be able to tell. I tested both and found them similar to my X5 suspension. Please have a look at this video that shows Perf/LR AWD get same/similar range if driven similarly and you can see he discusses handling on winding rounds as well on the MYP v LR AWD. Curious to hear your thoughts.

I have both- LR RWD 3 with 19” sport wheels and MY P.

The 3, as you pointed out is more on rails and easy to point and drive fast anywhere; very easy to take full advantage of the motor most times.

The Y has less side-to-side body roll, but in factory Y Performance suspension and tires, has a lot of squat under hard acceleration below 40mph and a sense of lost steering control for a moment. Being a taller car you feel safer on the freeway next to tall trailers, at the same time it feels harder to drive next to cars on fast bends. Likely due to wider front tires, it requires much more steering wheel effort; changing tires to Michelin Pilot Sport (AS4) helped a lot.

My Y which is my primary car, now has the MPP coilovers, which I highly recommend you get if handling is a priority for you, for the 3 or the Y, whichever one you get. It now drives to my liking, sportier than the 3 and with a good ride. You have not discussed ride comfort but it’s one of the worst traits of the MY, especially on the MY P which uses lower springs and essentially always engages the bump stops (there’s still limited compression of the bump stops, but it’s always on it).. so the car is always bouncing around on any non-smooth road, if you watch your head closely you’ll look like you’re head bopping to the beat of a song; over time this won’t be good for you or your passengers ; see the Mountainpass Comfort Coilovers thread for more on this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense what you are saying and I can relate to a higher car losing some feel under acceleration; my 4wd Trailblazer SS did this. ‘Ride comfort is a mild to moderate concern, but I’m coming from a nice pedigree of cars that are ROUGH on the ride. My CTSV is super rough, shockingly even more than my vette was.

I spent the day on the phone and now actually found a Y performance to drive tomorrow. Just have to drive pretty far out of the way to do so, but it will let me make my decision.

Reactions: mark95476
Thanks for the reply.

Makes sense what you are saying and I can relate to a higher car losing some feel under acceleration; my 4wd Trailblazer SS did this. ‘Ride comfort is a mild to moderate concern, but I’m coming from a nice pedigree of cars that are ROUGH on the ride. My CTSV is super rough, shockingly even more than my vette was.

I spent the day on the phone and now actually found a Y performance to drive tomorrow. Just have to drive pretty far out of the way to do so, but it will let me make my decision.

Please let us know what you think, I'm curious. I plan to buy a MYP (delaying a bit to see if this tax credit goes anywhere in Congress), and am coming from an Audi S4. Haven't driven a 3, but can assume my Audi handles/rides like it (or at least in the same league)--I think comments here are spot on in terms of the point/shoot nature of the sedan, but was very impressed with the MYP (have test driven it 2x) and felt it handled well for a higher/SUV type vehicle. My wife also drives a 2021 Audi SQ5 with the performance air suspension so have that for comparison as well. My biggest fear was body roll, and while there is more than my S4, it isn't terrible and believe it is superior to the SQ5. For me, quite acceptable as I don't plan to take it to the track.

In terms of roughness, I don't think the MYP will bother you based on what you are coming from--didn't shock me when I drove it and I went looking for rough spots. Frankly, it feels pretty comparable to my S4, which is of course on the stiff side. My wife always complains about it while I just feel like its 'normal'--the price you pay to get better handling, running wider wheels/tires etc.

You didn't mention utility in your equation/consideration--thats what is driving me to switch from the S4. I want a car I can haul a bit more in if needed, put a bike rack on the trailer hitch (won't put a hitch on the S4 as I don't like the way it looks/hangs down) and when you throw in a 3.5 second 0-60, thats good for me!

Beyond the tax credit possibility, biggest issue for me is what color! I like the midnight silver metallic as well as blue (but coming from a blue S4). Only fear with the silver is with the grey wheels and various plastic moldings you have a car that is like 4 shades of grey going on!

Hope your test drive goes well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds great bro

Please dont forget to: 1. take pics of car inside/out, 2. get VIN to share with us, 3. tell us how you liked it!

For anyone in the Bay Area: the first road where they're testing is Highway 9 between Felton and Santa Cruz.

Yes it does. Noticably Different may be how sensitive you are and your experience, average joe might not be able to tell. I tested both and found them similar to my X5 suspension. Please have a look at this video that shows Perf/LR AWD get same/similar range if driven similarly and you can see he discusses handling on winding rounds as well on the MYP v LR AWD. Curious to hear your thoughts.

Please let us know what you think, I'm curious. I plan to buy a MYP (delaying a bit to see if this tax credit goes anywhere in Congress), and am coming from an Audi S4. Haven't driven a 3, but can assume my Audi handles/rides like it (or at least in the same league)--I think comments here are spot on in terms of the point/shoot nature of the sedan, but was very impressed with the MYP (have test driven it 2x) and felt it handled well for a higher/SUV type vehicle. My wife also drives a 2021 Audi SQ5 with the performance air suspension so have that for comparison as well. My biggest fear was body roll, and while there is more than my S4, it isn't terrible and believe it is superior to the SQ5. For me, quite acceptable as I don't plan to take it to the track.

In terms of roughness, I don't think the MYP will bother you based on what you are coming from--didn't shock me when I drove it and I went looking for rough spots. Frankly, it feels pretty comparable to my S4, which is of course on the stiff side. My wife always complains about it while I just feel like its 'normal'--the price you pay to get better handling, running wider wheels/tires etc.

You didn't mention utility in your equation/consideration--thats what is driving me to switch from the S4. I want a car I can haul a bit more in if needed, put a bike rack on the trailer hitch (won't put a hitch on the S4 as I don't like the way it looks/hangs down) and when you throw in a 3.5 second 0-60, thats good for me!

Beyond the tax credit possibility, biggest issue for me is what color! I like the midnight silver metallic as well as blue (but coming from a blue S4). Only fear with the silver is with the grey wheels and various plastic moldings you have a car that is like 4 shades of grey going on!

Hope your test drive goes well.

FWIW, I came from an S5 Sportback. The handling feels quite a lot different but I think the MYP handles "better" than the S5 per my expectations. The steering in the MYP is great compared to Audi--very quick and very precise. Lateral grip feels a bit better as there's more rubber and a wider track than the Audi. Some of that may come down to the Contis on the Audi, which are unimpressive tires. The seating position in the MYP is much higher, but with the firm suspension and low COG it doesn't roll much (whereas the nose-heavy Audi noticeably "plowed" into tight corners). The Audi in comfort mode did have a more forgiving ride than the MYP.

Overall I enjoy canyon driving more in the MYP than the Audi. The Tesla's ability to put on speed coming out of corners is astonishing--my kids say it feels like a rollercoaster.

Reactions: OutofPocket
I know MPP claims this but I'd be really interested to see independent verification. It smells strongly of sales BS.

It's not. I have the MPP coilovers and have been providing extensive feedback in MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers, might have been the first customer install for this kit, paid full retail (actually my wife bought for me as a gift).

FWIW, many modern cars rely on bump stops for tuning their suspension, providing an easy way to have a progressive damping characteristic; in the past bump stops were mostly for serious impacts like potholes. With that said, the way it's used on the MY P is a really bad design (likely cost-cutting on Tesla's part) and knocks passengers around on moderately uneven road, as if a ghost were constantly pushing you with a dense memory foam pillow.

Reactions: Jejunjm and vtplm
It's not. I have the MPP coilovers and have been providing extensive feedback in MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers, might have been the first customer install for this kit, paid full retail (actually my wife bought for me as a gift).

FWIW, many modern cars rely on bump stops for tuning their suspension, providing an easy way to have a progressive damping characteristic; in the past bump stops were mostly for serious impacts like potholes. With that said, the way it's used on the MY P is a really bad design (likely cost-cutting on Tesla's part) and knocks passengers around on moderately uneven road, as if a ghost were constantly pushing you with a dense memory foam pillow. Another observation here: Very happy with my Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers

you've been shilling this coilover so much dude i always see you linking them and sound and seem very unnatural just stop. reporting you to the mods for this too, I encourage others to do the same. This guy always linking and posting about the same thing.

you've been shilling this coilover so much dude i always see you linking them and sound and seem very unnatural just stop. reporting you to the mods for this too, I encourage others to do the same. This guy always linking and posting about the same thing.

I'm not sure where your attitude is from but if you have looked at any of my past posts here or in reddit, I just try to help other owners.

45AEFA15-8AC8-4C81-86E6-E83E767263A3.jpeg
0A2AF7A4-2F22-4F85-A695-22F279B256E9.jpeg
F44ECDDD-9D11-4FEE-8FF7-BC4FF46701DF.jpeg
C4E1709F-735F-45C7-8F04-C832A8D2295E.jpeg
Anyways... I did drive the Y performance, and it was wonderful.

But I ordered a 3 later that same day. Why? Drivers position.

Loved driving the Y performance no doubt. Great car. Fast. Handling was far superior to the standard Y (much more on rails) and very impressive how little body roll I experienced.

But something about it wasn’t just right. I drove it for 30mins and really loved it, but when I got back to the dealership, I sat in a 3 and thought “this is more like it”. It’s just the way the wheel sits. The 3 you slide under the wheel more (similar to my CTSV and my previous corvette). In the Y you sit up like in an SUV or van.

It’s a matter of taste to be honest. But considering the Y performance is 8k more (no 2k rebate here in NY since price change), and my wife already has a Lexus RX suv... it became a no brainer.

Totally respect those who got the Y performance. Sure was tempting. But as I’ll be driving my car alone 90% of the time... I had to go with the drivers car that was also cheaper.

Looking forward to being a part of this forum, and I’m excited to become a fellow Tesla owner.

Final specs of my order:
Model 3 Performance
Midnight Grey Metallic
Black Interior (felt black was more in line with the performance and I was worried about having to constantly clean the white. Know it allegedly doesn’t stain, but it does show dirt).

Plan to get all season tires when winter comes again (my pilot sport a/s on my CTSV are great all around tires) and may consider getting different rims. Also will wrap the wood dash and maybe even the whole car one day.

Hope to see you all on the road soon!

View attachment 639388 View attachment 639389 View attachment 639390 View attachment 639392 Anyways... I did drive the Y performance, and it was wonderful.

But I ordered a 3 later that same day. Why? Drivers position.!
Congratulations sir. Interesting about the wheel position. We own the LRMY. I love how I can lean on the middle console and control the touch screen with ease. I enjoy sitting up a tad higher than in the 3. The other day we were at a Tesla show room and they had the new Model 3 console and a Model Y on display. I sat in the Model 3 and I did not get the same console feel. Now, I'm not sure if that was due to the redesign or not. I also felt I was sitting well inside the car and not sure if I liked it over the Y. I think my biggest problem is I'm so use to the Y now. Safe travels with your new 3.

For sure everyone is different. I know I would have loved the Y and I would have gotten use to it quickly. It’s a great car, especially in performance trim. I was genuinely impressed and that’s coming from a sedan that pulls 0.95g on the skidpad and lays down a 12.3 quarter mile.

It’s just that the 3 had the same feel behind the wheel as my sports sedan, and the Y felt like sitting behind my wife’s RX350. This doesn’t make one better than the other, and I’ll miss some of the flexibility. I’ll also miss that roof on the Y (man that is too cool).

I think if they were the exact same price, I would have gotten the Y despite the driving position preference; I’m certainly giving up some real perks.

But saving nearly 8k (NY rebate not applied to Y performance) on a car that isn’t the family hauler and having the one I liked being in more just became a point of contention. I’m thrilled with my choice.

And when my wife needs a new ride, the Y (or maybe the X) will 100% be on the top of the contender list.

For sure everyone is different. I know I would have loved the Y and I would have gotten use to it quickly. It’s a great car, especially in performance trim. I was genuinely impressed and that’s coming from a sedan that pulls 0.95g on the skidpad and lays down a 12.3 quarter mile.

It’s just that the 3 had the same feel behind the wheel as my sports sedan, and the Y felt like sitting behind my wife’s RX350. This doesn’t make one better than the other, and I’ll miss some of the flexibility. I’ll also miss that roof on the Y (man that is too cool).

I think if they were the exact same price, I would have gotten the Y despite the driving position preference; I’m certainly giving up some real perks.

But saving nearly 8k (NY rebate not applied to Y performance) on a car that isn’t the family hauler and having the one I liked being in more just became a point of contention. I’m thrilled with my choice.

And when my wife needs a new ride, the Y (or maybe the X) will 100% be on the top of the contender list.

Sounds logical, and thanks for sharing! Hope you enjoy the new 3---did you give any thought to delaying your order to see what happens on the tax credit front?