Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y performance winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Own a 2022 MYP and looking at winter tires options. General recommendation is to invest in smaller wheels - 19 or 20 instead of putting winter tires (very few choices) on my 21inch. Will any brand of 19 or 20 wheel work with the MYP? Then much wider choice of tires at 255/275 front/rear.?
Grateful for comments.

Upvote 0
Tesla won't sell you the 19" Gemini winter tire package if you own a Performance Model Y. Tesla claims the 19" Gemini wheels are not compatible but many Performance Model Y owners have installed the 19" Gemini wheels with no fit issue. It could be for liability reasons as the Pirello winter tires are not rated for the top speed of the Performance Model Y.

You can purchase a set of used 19" Gemini wheels and add winter tires. Also, Tire Rack, Discount Tires and TSportline can sell you a wheel and winter tire package in 18", 19" or 20" for your Performance Model Y.

Reactions: jstepy and 804son
Upvote 0
They had no problem selling me a set and loading into my car. I just ordered through the app and during the appointment said to put them in my car. No issues.
E7258E68-9E5C-4635-99A9-0D0FD948B4DA.jpeg

Reactions: MJP.P3D-
Upvote 0
At one time Tesla would sell the 19" Gemini Wheel and Pirelli Winter tire package if you owned the Performance Model Y with the 21" performance wheels but no more.

Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels.

Upvote 0
At one time Tesla would sell the 19" Gemini Wheel and Pirelli Winter tire package if you owned the Performance Model Y with the 21" performance wheels but no more.

Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels.
Not sure why it says that. Also said that when I got mine but they didn’t question it and order went through fine.

Upvote 0
19 inch set for winter is still to big, you will need to go to an aftermarket set to 17 or 18 inch set. These rubber bands won’t give to the traction you need. You need more sidewalk and flex so the tire can bite the ground and enable traction under the snow & ice. Good luck finding the tires. I prefer the Blizzaks on my previous BMW M4 from factory 20 inch wheels to 16” set up. Plus also the smaller tire you have a huge variety of tires. For the larger wheels limited to 2 or 3 max companies.

Reactions: MikeHawk
Upvote 0
19 inch set for winter is still to big, you will need to go to an aftermarket set to 17 or 18 inch set. These rubber bands won’t give to the traction you need. You need more sidewalk and flex so the tire can bite the ground and enable traction under the snow & ice. Good luck finding the tires. I prefer the Blizzaks on my previous BMW M4 from factory 20 inch wheels to 16” set up. Plus also the smaller tire you have a huge variety of tires. For the larger wheels limited to 2 or 3 max companies.
Have you driven a Y with 19" winter tires? Have you fitted a Y Performance with 17" wheels/tires? I believe there are very limited options in 18" wheel that will fit a Y Performance and nothing in a 17" wheel that will clear the brakes.

Upvote 0
So I live in Eastern Idaho and I have always gotten winter sets for all our vehicles. Just part of the game we play living in this climate. With my MYP I decided to go with TSportlines 18" Wheels and Falken Wild Peaks. This is the first time where I really could use the wheels year round. I have the 21" Michelins on the shelf but have honestly enjoyed the larger amount of rubber and the protection it affords me when my wife takes the car. She tends to get curb rash quite easily. LOL

It's definitely a different look and I know it's subjective but I personally dig it and have gotten quite a few good comments.

Attachments

• IMG_1988.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1988.HEIC.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1989.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1989.HEIC.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1990.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1990.HEIC.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1991.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_1991.HEIC.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
So I live in Eastern Idaho and I have always gotten winter sets for all our vehicles. Just part of the game we play living in this climate. With my MYP I decided to go with TSportlines 18" Wheels and Falken Wild Peaks. This is the first time where I really could use the wheels year round. I have the 21" Michelins on the shelf but have honestly enjoyed the larger amount of rubber and the protection it affords me when my wife takes the car. She tends to get curb rash quite easily. LOL

It's definitely a different look and I know it's subjective but I personally dig it and have gotten quite a few good comments.
Looks great!

Reactions: jstepy
Upvote 0