Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y vs 3 handling and ride comfort

Luminous

Mar 9, 2021
Hello, I am trying to decide if I want to go 3 from Y.

I got Y recently and it feels off because I am usually drive Lexus ES350 and Y feels like a rough version of my wife's RX350, to the point I don't want to drive Y for worry of getting car sick. I think I will like 3 better for it's lower seating and decreased side roll feel. It will have smaller weight and size and will feel faster. Smaller 18in wheel size in 3 might help too.

The question is how likely all above will bring me close enough to ride comfort I am used to?

tshields

Vendor
Jun 15, 2020
MIAMI, FL
I absolutely love my model 3, however, it all changed once I had a chance to drive the model Y. I personally found the model Y to be a smoother ride, less road noise, and a roomier cabin. The only downside that I noticed was that the Y has a wider tuning radius compared to the 3. The model 3 and the y are extremely similar and its a personal preference whether you would prefer a tighter fitting car that is more nimble with a slightly rougher ride or would you rather have a roomier cabin with a more comfortable drive but sacrifice handling?

Reactions: play150

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Clear Lake TX.
We own a Y and I have driven the Model 3 on several occasions. I will say the 3 is a much sportier ride and drives tighter then the Y. What the Y brings to the table is a much upright ride easier to see where you are driving with a lot of room for passengers and groceries. It feels like tighter suspension on the Y and maybe that was tuned for the weight and to lessen the body roll. There are aftermarket options for the Y to not be so harsh on the road. I for one don't mind it. As far as getting car sick, I feel that the Y has performance dialed down compared to the 3. You don't get that throat punching feel of acceleration. I also feel with the tighter suspension this probably cuts down the the body roll.

Reactions: El joe and tshields

tshields

Vendor
Jun 15, 2020
MIAMI, FL
We own a Y and I have driven the Model 3 on several occasions. I will say the 3 is a much sportier ride and drives tighter then the Y. What the Y brings to the table is a much upright ride easier to see where you are driving with a lot of room for passengers and groceries. It feels like tighter suspension on the Y and maybe that was tuned for the weight and to lessen the body roll. There are aftermarket options for the Y to not be so harsh on the road. I for one don't mind it. As far as getting car sick, I feel that the Y has performance dialed down compared to the 3. You don't get that throat punching feel of acceleration. I also feel with the tighter suspension this probably cuts down the the body roll.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Shelburne

Mar 9, 2021
Shelburne Falls, MA
I have never been in a Y so I can't compare it to my M3, but I will say this about the M3: The ride is on the stiff side. If you like the cushiony ride of a luxury sedan you better take a ride in a 3 before buying one. However, if you like a car that rides and drives like a great sports car (as I do) then the 3 is for you.

dfwatt

Sep 24, 2018
FL
Hello, I am trying to decide if I want to go 3 from Y.

I got Y recently and it feels off because I am usually drive Lexus ES350 and Y feels like a rough version of my wife's RX350, to the point I don't want to drive Y for worry of getting car sick. I think I will like 3 better for it's lower seating and decreased side roll feel. It will have smaller weight and size and will feel faster. Smaller 18in wheel size in 3 might help too.

The question is how likely all above will bring me close enough to ride comfort I am used to?
There is literally no point in asking that question. What you need to do is go test drive a model 3.

play150

Feb 25, 2021
USA
I'm struggling between a M3P and a MY LR (7 seater). I want the 7 seats but when I test drove the MY I found handling to be dull/delayed compared to what I'm used to! (Volkswagen Golf R) I sat in a M3P and it seemed wonderful, but less spacious and without the 7 seats!

I'm currently waiting for a Model Y Performance overnight test drive to see how viable getting the MY LR and adjusting the suspension (e.g sway bar swap + lowering springs) might be in terms of improving the car's handling. Although now that I look at Tesla's reliability metrics I think it may be safest option to go with the M3P and not change anything, in order to not take any chances with invalidating a portion of the car's warranty :/

(Or of course, sacrifice driving dynamics for the 7 seats! I find myself literally changing my mind every single day)

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
@Luminous assuming you didn't test drive the Y before buying? The ES350 is definitely a cushy car and your Y or the 3 will never be close to that comfort of your Lexus. Being lower and lighter, the 3 will definitely handle better than the Y but whether it will suit your needs is a different story. I'd suggest test driving the 3 (as @dfwatt said) before you take a hit on your Y through a trade-in and still end up not fully satisfied. An alternative is to install the MPP comfort coilovers on your Y which should improve both handling and ride comfort.

Reactions: Luminous

dfwatt

Sep 24, 2018
FL
I'm struggling between a M3P and a MY LR (7 seater). I want the 7 seats but when I test drove the MY I found handling to be dull/delayed compared to what I'm used to! (Volkswagen Golf R) I sat in a M3P and it seemed wonderful, but less spacious and without the 7 seats!

I'm currently waiting for a Model Y Performance overnight test drive to see how viable getting the MY LR and adjusting the suspension (e.g sway bar swap + lowering springs) might be in terms of improving the car's handling. Although now that I look at Tesla's reliability metrics I think it may be safest option to go with the M3P and not change anything, in order to not take any chances with invalidating a portion of the car's warranty :/

(Or of course, sacrifice driving dynamics for the 7 seats! I find myself literally changing my mind every single day)
Of all the hundreds of guys on the Forum who have done coilover kits on their model 3s I'm not aware of a single instance where it was any interference with warranty claims. So I think you're being overly cautious in that regard. If you want the model Y and the practicality of seven seats but you want better handling I would get the MPP sport coilover kit that's coming out for the Y. If you want the best possible handling though you really should get the model 3 and once again get the MPP sport coilover kit for that car. The 400 lb weight difference is hard to hide. Even with great coilovers and a complete suspension makeover.

play150

Feb 25, 2021
USA
Of all the hundreds of guys on the Forum who have done coilover kits on their model 3s I'm not aware of a single instance where it was any interference with warranty claims. So I think you're being overly cautious in that regard. If you want the model Y and the practicality of seven seats but you want better handling I would get the MPP sport coilover kit that's coming out for the Y. If you want the best possible handling though you really should get the model 3 and once again get the MPP sport coilover kit for that car. The 400 lb weight difference is hard to hide. Even with great coilovers and a complete suspension makeover.
I ended up test driving the MYP and it was quite competent in terms of handling/driving dynamics! But you could absolutely feel that weight haha

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
Extra weight + higher centre of gravity will make a difference.

Put a lift kit on a 3 and pack it with 4 big guys might be similar to the Y :)

Casey1956

Mar 23, 2021
Houston TX
My wife's arthritic hips give her trouble getting and out of my M3. (Difficult to swing foot past the A Pillar. Would a Y (or even an S0 bet better in this regard?

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
My wife's arthritic hips give her trouble getting and out of my M3. (Difficult to swing foot past the A Pillar. Would a Y (or even an S0 bet better in this regard?

We have both, and it's night and day difference. So much easier for people with problems to get into and out of a Y.

I am still good to go, so the extra work getting in and out of the 3 doesn't bother me, and it's much more fun to drive than the Y.

Reactions: JohnnyEV

Luminous

Mar 9, 2021
@Luminous assuming you didn't test drive the Y before buying? The ES350 is definitely a cushy car and your Y or the 3 will never be close to that comfort of your Lexus. Being lower and lighter, the 3 will definitely handle better than the Y but whether it will suit your needs is a different story. I'd suggest test driving the 3 (as @dfwatt said) before you take a hit on your Y through a trade-in and still end up not fully satisfied. An alternative is to install the MPP comfort coilovers on your Y which should improve both handling and ride comfort.
I see. How close is S to ES350 ride comfort?

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
I see. How close is S to ES350 ride comfort?
I've only ridden in the S once so I can't really comment much on S vs ES350. The S is definitely cushier than the 3 with the longer wheelbase being the primary contributing factor. Also keep in mind the tires on your ES350 may play a big role as well depending on tire make/type, sidewall height, etc. If your ES had oem 17" tires, the sidewalls are slightly taller on those compared to oem 19" model Y tires so that also makes a difference.

Are you getting used to the Y's ride or still feel it's not to your comfort needs?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC