Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y vs 3 handling and ride comfort

Luminous

Mar 9, 2021
I've only ridden in the S once so I can't really comment much on S vs ES350. The S is definitely cushier than the 3 with the longer wheelbase being the primary contributing factor. Also keep in mind the tires on your ES350 may play a big role as well depending on tire make/type, sidewall height, etc. If your ES had oem 17" tires, the sidewalls are slightly taller on those compared to oem 19" model Y tires so that also makes a difference.

Are you getting used to the Y's ride or still feel it's not to your comfort needs?

My wife is driving the Y. I drive my 2007 ES350 even when she does not need it. I loved winter tires on ES as they felt cushier but louder. Yes, ES tires are stock size with taller sidewalls. Can I lower tire pressures on Y to get an idea of potential improvement?

Last edited:

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
My wife is driving the Y. I drive my 2007 ES350 even when she does not need it. I loved winter tires on ES as they felt cushier but louder. Yes, ES tires are stock size with taller sidewalls. Can I lower tire pressures on Y to get an idea of potential improvement?
Lowering pressure always helps to soften the ride at the expense of efficiency. On my 3 I used to run it at 42psi and the last time a Tesla ranger did some unrelated servicing he recommended 45psi. There was a noticeable difference in a firmer ride going up 3psi so I'm sure if you reduced the Y's tires by 3psi or so there should be a noticeably softer ride.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC