Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y vs 3 handling and ride comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only ridden in the S once so I can't really comment much on S vs ES350. The S is definitely cushier than the 3 with the longer wheelbase being the primary contributing factor. Also keep in mind the tires on your ES350 may play a big role as well depending on tire make/type, sidewall height, etc. If your ES had oem 17" tires, the sidewalls are slightly taller on those compared to oem 19" model Y tires so that also makes a difference.

Are you getting used to the Y's ride or still feel it's not to your comfort needs?

My wife is driving the Y. I drive my 2007 ES350 even when she does not need it. I loved winter tires on ES as they felt cushier but louder. Yes, ES tires are stock size with taller sidewalls. Can I lower tire pressures on Y to get an idea of potential improvement?

Last edited:
My wife is driving the Y. I drive my 2007 ES350 even when she does not need it. I loved winter tires on ES as they felt cushier but louder. Yes, ES tires are stock size with taller sidewalls. Can I lower tire pressures on Y to get an idea of potential improvement?
Lowering pressure always helps to soften the ride at the expense of efficiency. On my 3 I used to run it at 42psi and the last time a Tesla ranger did some unrelated servicing he recommended 45psi. There was a noticeable difference in a firmer ride going up 3psi so I'm sure if you reduced the Y's tires by 3psi or so there should be a noticeably softer ride.

How much can I lower PSI safely on my 19 in Y wheels?
According to Tire pressure . com They recommend 42.
I don't know how much lower you may want to go. To me its a heavy car and I don't know how much I'd trust anything to low.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
I know its an old thread but I was so surprised by the handling and ride comfort differences after comparing 3 and Y for a week that I just had to share this experience. Not what I expected!

Have driven Y LR 7 on standard 19" wheels as mostly my daily for about a year and 22k miles. Have hade 3 LR on standard 18" as a loaner for a week now.

These are my My 3 vs Y observations as it relates to this thread:

Handling:

3 wins hands down, no contest. Flat and balanced through fast corners. When the tires start to slide, it feels like you are still in full control and can modulate things as you please. Tires feel like they are allowed to do their best job, straight and compliant, even through bouncy corners. The 3 seems to effectively dampen any mid corner bumps, at least on the roads where I have driven.
The Y on the other hand feels like it is running up on the outer edges of the outside tires in tight fast corners if there are undulations. Looking at my tires seem to confirm this, since the outer edges are pretty worn out. Y self reinforces bump initiated back and forth pitching, causing the front and rear axles to take turns in giving up and gaining grip through turns, creating little side jumps, one axle at a time. Not confidence inspiring. The Y does however stay planted with very good lateral grip through smooth curves, as long as you keep the go pedal input constant. It comes into its own on flat on ramps and clover leaves.

Interior: Y has a more room than 3 in all directions, obviously

Noise: Y has less road noise than 3, but 3 has a little less boom noise when the rear wheels hit potholes.

Ride Comfort: On smooth roads it feels like the Y is a little better. It's like a cloud on the highway. Over higher/deeper bumps the 3 is instead better. We have a lot of brick streets around here with a constant stream of seriously big bumps. The 3, while making crashing and booming sounds, stays pretty level over those. The Y on the other hand gets into a self reinforcing pitching bounce that is so unbearable that you almost have to slow down to a standstill. Additionally, Y seems to have much more roll stiffness than the 3, creating a strong side to side rocking motion over potholes or if you try to cheat a speed bump by taking it with one side only. Not to mention if you make the mistake of taking one of those yellow parking lot sausages on a slight diagonal -you are in for some serious head toss! Almost no head toss in the 3 under those same conditions.

That said, I am happy with the car. Super practical and still drives a lot better than any ICE Suv.

To sum it up, I no longer think of 3 and Y as two bodies on the same skateboard. They are much more different than that. For anyone trying to decide between them, I would recommend test driving both to compare.

PS. Here is a hypothesis for how the two cars turned out so different: Tesla designed the suspension with the 3 and got it optimal for that car. They later designed the Y and reused the parts for maximum commonality (albeit with some pieces beefed up?). The higher COG and bigger wheels may not match the geometry and measurements that were optimized for the 3. Some Y variants may get more unbalanced than others. Imagine for example if the camber is a mean between the desired values for Performance and LR and if the variant geometries only differ in spring length, the LR with the extra ride height would get less than desired camber, further exacerbating the longer wheel radius leverage compared to a M3, if that’s where the original geometry came from. If the 7 seater just has stiffer springs but common dampers from 5 seater, it can contribute even more to the bounciness. Just guessing, but that’s what it feels like on my car. My hypothesis as a layman. Am I right? Out of curiosity I would like to hear if there are any knowledgeable people out there who can chime in or correct the hypothesis.

Reactions: skiwhmts and tm1v2
This is an old thread, but it seems like the OP's Lexus ES350 and a Tesla Model 3 have different suspension tuning goals.

The Lexus ES350 emphasizes ride comfort, but is not sporty. The Tesla Model 3 is sportier in handling, but the firmer suspension makes road bumps more noticeable.

My wife's arthritic hips give her trouble getting and out of my M3. (Difficult to swing foot past the A Pillar. Would a Y (or even an S0 bet better in this regard?
did you turn on Easy Entry? I.e. the pseudo profile where you can raise the seat to the highest possible position which it will switch to for entry and exit.
Obviously not like a car a foot higher but it helps.