Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y vs Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No need to read too much into this comparison. The presenters simply took two cars they had access to, and ran them head to head down the drag strip. The results speak for them selves, and seeing the Tesla trounce the overly hyped Porsche still says something.

In another race the results might be different, but in this case the Tesla was far superior.

Padding the purchase price with $15k in additional options is a good estimate. BMW/Mercedes/Porsche dealers literally don't or won't order any base models.

The price comparison is a fraud. To deck out the base Taycan with Tesla standard features, you need to add about $15,000 worth of options. See the build page for base Taycan. The difference would be even greater if the options on the Model Y in this "race" were to be revealed and matched. It's typical of German cars to make base model prices unrealistic once you look at options.

I also wonder how much dealer crap do you need to pay? IME most dealers find a way to add 3-5k of crap dealer fees to a new car. I would expect Porsche to be on the high side, but have never bought one so don't know for sure.

Gotta laser etch that VIN on those windows for $700 guys...... :(

• Disagree
Reactions: mk677
I also wonder how much dealer crap do you need to pay? IME most dealers find a way to add 3-5k of crap dealer fees to a new car. I would expect Porsche to be on the high side, but have never bought one so don't know for sure.

Totally depends on dealer.

I had a VW dealer treat me like royalty. None of that crap, no shenanigans.

I had a BMW dealer try to up sell me out the yin yang.

I had a Porsche dealer be completely fine. No attempt at upsell at all.

This is not brand specific. It's dealer specific.

Dealer network dependent, but Porsche takes its dealer quality *very* seriously and I'd expect doesn't have much patience for crap like that. I've never encountered a Porsche dealer with that attitude. For luxury brands, IME all of the VWAG labels are pretty good about this. Lexus is more of a mixed bag currently, and BMW is awful.

Reactions: Ron_M3 and mk677
Dealer network dependent, but Porsche takes its dealer quality *very* seriously and I'd expect doesn't have much patience for crap like that. I've never encountered a Porsche dealer with that attitude. For luxury brands, IME all of the VWAG labels are pretty good about this. Lexus is more of a mixed bag currently, and BMW is awful.

Haha, I've heard some good stories on Rennlist. And most are dealers out of LA.

not that it matters with TEsla, but when Ive purchased new cars before (rare, as I typically go 2-3 yrs old used), one of these processes has always worked well for me
1)Using a carbuying service at Sams or Costco
2)My deciding exactly what car/options I want, then calling the sales manager for multiple local dealerships of that brand. i give them my full name, phone number, email address and Let them know Im serious about buying within the next 48 hrs, have my own financing arranged, that Im simply looking to see which dealer would like my business, and that Im going to go with the best price with the invoice/dealer sheet emailed to me. Typically 4 out of 5 will work with you and simply do that/send you their documented final price offer. Usually 1 or 2 will fall under the "we dont operate that way, we want you to come in". Those get ruled out.

not that it matters with TEsla, but when Ive purchased new cars before (rare, as I typically go 2-3 yrs old used), one of these processes has always worked well for me
1)Using a carbuying service at Sams or Costco
2)My deciding exactly what car/options I want, then calling the sales manager for multiple local dealerships of that brand. i give them my full name, phone number, email address and Let them know Im serious about buying within the next 48 hrs, have my own financing arranged, that Im simply looking to see which dealer would like my business, and that Im going to go with the best price with the invoice/dealer sheet emailed to me. Typically 4 out of 5 will work with you and simply do that/send you their documented final price offer. Usually 1 or 2 will fall under the "we dont operate that way, we want you to come in". Those get ruled out.

then you go in. Then you find out they added a $300 doc fee and a $700 window etch. So then you go home. Then they call back and offer to waive the doc fee.

been there, done that, never again. If I have to talk to a dealer I won’t buy that car.

Reactions: mark95476
then you go in. Then you find out they added a $300 doc fee and a $700 window etch. So then you go home. Then they call back and offer to waive the doc fee.

been there, done that, never again. If I have to talk to a dealer I won’t buy that car.
What?
You don’t enjoying being asked to shake the sales managers hand and get the best deal which is only available to you at that very moment.

I also prefer car buying service.

• Funny
Reactions: MrTuna
Porsche refers to it as a "Cross Turismo" which is basically the same as a Y. A glorified hatchback.
They can call it whatever they want. It's a sedan and a Model S competitor (if there is indeed any direct Tesla competition). I can't imagine people cross shopping a Y and a Taycan, either from price or functionality.

Who knows, I haven't seen one in person. I don't know what makes something go from a car to a crossover to a SUV.

Either way.. I think if you are looking for a premium BEV, you at least consider both the Y and the Porsche. And likely an S and X and 3 as well. So few options, at this point you can basically look at them all.