Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

y vs X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model X 2017. Have order in for Y. Anyone have any thoughts who have experience with both models. I would get another X if there were a lot of negatives to Y when comparing. Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

What matters to you? Your question is sort of open ended, hard to answer. How many people do you want to seat? Kids or adults? Daily commuter or long hauls? Cargo space, carry much? Towing? Road noise? Ride quality coming from the air suspension you have now? There are many questions like that, narrow down what is important to you. What would be a deal breaker for you, a reason to not get the Y and to stay with the X? Or why would you want to get rid of the X, are looking for in the Y? That might help you find useful responses...

Reactions: petergy
What matters to you? Your question is sort of open ended, hard to answer. How many people do you want to seat? Kids or adults? Daily commuter or long hauls? Cargo space, carry much? Towing? Road noise? Ride quality coming from the air suspension you have now? There are many questions like that, narrow down what is important to you. What would be a deal breaker for you, a reason to not get the Y and to stay with the X? Or why would you want to get rid of the X, are looking for in the Y? That might help you find useful responses...
My lease is ending on my X in September. There are several reasons I ordered the Y. First I am always people to duck when getting in the back of the car since the golf wing doors often ca not go up all the way because they sense something above either garage door or trees. Also spoiler on hatch keep hatch door from also going fully up so easy to bang your head. I thought the Y being a little smaller would make garage easier with our second car. I am giving up center dash, ability to open and close all doors from screen and self closing driver door when step on brake as well as doors opening by themselves from outside vehicle.

My biggest reservation about the Y vs the X is too many controls on the screen. I think the four stalks on the X gives the driver ready access to controls needed quickly without taking eyes off the road such as speed of wipers. I also like the dedicated Autopilot control on the X. On a lesser basis I would miss the driver's gauges of the X.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I have a 2018 model X (75D, air suspension), and just test-drove a Model Y (and immediately scheduled delivery for my 11/2019 MY reservation).
I LOVE the Model X for the super smooth, quiet, freeway cruising. I (and my grandkids in their carseats) love the falcon wing doors.
BUT. it has always felt to me like I was driving a bus. Huge steering wheel, sitting way too high, a pain in urban driving (Berkeley hills has lots of narrow twisty streets).
Of course, YMMV, but the MY hits all my grin buttons. wonderful feel and handling, surprisingly good ride, much quieter than I expected on the freeway, feels like a car, not a bus, in urban traffic, lots of room for kiddie seats in back seat. Only complaint is that horrible view out back window.
Only thing that comes even close to the MY, IMHO, is the Audi S4 I had back around 2015.

hope that helps some.

I have a 2018 model X (75D, air suspension), and just test-drove a Model Y (and immediately scheduled delivery for my 11/2019 MY reservation).
I LOVE the Model X for the super smooth, quiet, freeway cruising. I (and my grandkids in their carseats) love the falcon wing doors.
BUT. it has always felt to me like I was driving a bus. Huge steering wheel, sitting way too high, a pain in urban driving (Berkeley hills has lots of narrow twisty streets).
Of course, YMMV, but the MY hits all my grin buttons. wonderful feel and handling, surprisingly good ride, much quieter than I expected on the freeway, feels like a car, not a bus, in urban traffic, lots of room for kiddie seats in back seat. Only complaint is that horrible view out back window.
Only thing that comes even close to the MY, IMHO, is the Audi S4 I had back around 2015.

hope that helps some.
Thanks for your thoughts. Everyone seems to be talking about rear view limitations. With my X I always drive with rear cameras on. Is Y rear camera ok?

Rear camera on MY I test drove seems to offer a better, clearer, more comprehensive view than my MX rear cam. Just a quick impression, might have been colored by how limited the MY rear window view is, but I was very comfortable relying on it.

Rear camera on MY I test drove seems to offer a better, clearer, more comprehensive view than my MX rear cam. Just a quick impression, might have been colored by how limited the MY rear window view is, but I was very comfortable relying on it.

I have a 2017 XP100D on 20" wheels and a brand new MY LR on 19" wheels. The view in the mirror out the rear window isn't notably worse on the Y compared to the X. The rear camera on the Y was a pleasant surprise (compared to the M3 LR I owned briefly it's much, much better, and roughly comparable to the rear camera in the X) and the latest software update gives me the option of seeing the left and right wing cameras on the same display with the rear camera. Nice.

So far, I have no complaints about the Y and only one minor punch list item for the SC to fix when the trim part comes in. It drives like a Tesla, maybe not quite as nimble as the 3 but better than the rather ponderous X. Acceleration is remarkably good for a non-performance model, which was a pleasant surprise coming from the X with Ludicrous mode.

I had a 2016 75D Model X and took delivery of an AWD Model Y in late May. I’m in the middle of a big trip from Boulder, CO to Indianapolis, IN. We did the entire drive in one day over the weekend (~1100 miles), which was essentially impossible in our 75D X. Having so much more range was great (stopping every 2.5-3 hours instead of every 90 minutes). I also don’t particularly like big vehicles so the size of the Y has been a great change.

Our X was in the 30,XXX VIN range and had far more QC problems than the Y. I will say on the highway, I personally haven’t noticed a big difference in noise between the two and think I honestly enjoyed this trip in the Y more (we’ve done the trip in the X before as well). The biggest difference that is taking some adjustments is the stiffness of the ride. The lack of air suspension is definitely noticeable, but not a big deal to me, just something I’ve noticed.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I wouldn't buy an X as it's just too big and impractical for daily use. I guess the same reason as why you see way more M3s than MSs.
Again there’s a big price difference between the S and 3.

IMHO I think the 3 is kinda ugly and the S as pretty sexy. Also the model S drives very nice.

I drive a model X daily. It’s not really as big as everyone says it is when driving or parking.

Model X has a low center of gravity and I drive it like a sports car. In Texas there’s way bigger cars on the road and those drivers don’t have issues driving nor parking their vehicles.

I just downsized from a 2016 X 90D to the Model Y. Absolutely love the Y. I never really got along with the falcon wing doors as they would collide with the front doors. We always had to have a carefully orchestrated exit protocol. Because the the X was a 6 seater, the storage in back was somewhat constrained. The Y seems like it is bigger. The back seat on the Y is also really spacious - much more so than a model 3 and comparable to the X. The Y drives very much like the Model 3, but the seating is a bit higher which is better overall for me. Bottom line - I have absolutely no regrets moving from the X to the Y. I think the only reason to consider the X is if you need to seat more than 5.

I just downsized from a 2016 X 90D to the Model Y. Absolutely love the Y. I never really got along with the falcon wing doors as they would collide with the front doors. We always had to have a carefully orchestrated exit protocol. Because the the X was a 6 seater, the storage in back was somewhat constrained. The Y seems like it is bigger. The back seat on the Y is also really spacious - much more so than a model 3 and comparable to the X. The Y drives very much like the Model 3, but the seating is a bit higher which is better overall for me. Bottom line - I have absolutely no regrets moving from the X to the Y. I think the only reason to consider the X is if you need to seat more than 5.

I'm considering the same thing. I just got back from a test drive of a MY Performance and was very impressed. I will miss the zoomed in nav behind the steering wheel but I was surprised how quickly I was starting to adjust to the central screen of the Y. My X is a 6 seater and I have 3 grown/ing boys. When we all go in the X, one is in the third row and there really isn't any leg room there. I think my three boys would be more comfortable in the back of the Y. I'd heard people say the ride of the Y wasn't as smooth as the X because its missing the air suspension but it really felt solid.

I need to figure out the financial terms but if I can get what I want out of my X, I'm going to do it.