TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Yacht Floor Phone Charging Stand Install with Pics

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MrJones390, Oct 14, 2015.

1. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

#1 MrJones390, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    A lot of people have questions about the best way to mount and charge their phone in model S. Here is my solution which involves semi-permanently installing a charging dock on the yacht floor with no drilling.

IMG_0855.jpg

(*Note: Blue lighting is another mod described in a separate thread. Please ask if you are interested!)

First I removed the yacht floor and cut small pieces out of the silicone base to run a Lightning cable.

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

Next, I thread the cable into 12 South's HiRise charging stand using only the front podium which houses the connector. I wrapped this piece in 3M carbon fiber vinyl to match the Yacht Floor.

IMG_0699.jpg

I used a very small about of Gorilla epoxy to mount the stand to the floor. Here is a top view:

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Here is the finished product installed.

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

I keep this little bag with car essentials here, partially blocking the cable from view.

IMG_0850.jpg

With phone:

IMG_0852.jpg

More shots:

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

While it's not the ideal location for viewing apps like Waze (air vent mount is preferred), it's nice to be able to dock and charge my phone with one hand.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think; I'd be happy to show anyone in the Los Angeles area how to do this along with any of the other mods I've done.

Thanks for taking a look!

(*If a moderator could take out the duplicate "Attached Images" section below I would appreciate it. Not sure why this is here.)

Attached Files:

2. Jool

Jool Member

Nice work! But aren't you worried about the connector snapping during acceleration and braking? I think adding more support around the base and back of the phone would make it a lot sturdier.

3. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

Thanks! The connector, stand and phone are all very secure -- I tested it during many launches :biggrin: doesn't budge

Even Apple's new stands do not have any support:

Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 7.54.40 PM.png

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very nice job!

5. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Ditto.....

6. Firewired

Firewired Member

Great idea. Why not change to an alternative brand black lightening cable to it would be that much less visible in the rear?

7. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

This is a good idea and one that I considered, but didn't want to buy a new black cable with 5 white ones sitting around. I may wrap the cable in black and use cable organizers to hold it to the car.

Note: when sitting normally in the front seats, you can't really see the cable.

8. jlucero

jlucero Member

DUDE, that looks very slick!

9. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Nice mod! Noted if for sale on Ebay. Did it not work out?

10. MrJones390

MrJones390 Space Boat

Good catch! Just testing the waters to see if I can turn a profit on it, maybe make another one or buy the EVAnnex CCI.