Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yakima EXO System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there- This is my first point. have a Model Y delivering between May 29-June 18 and getting outfitted for summer travel.

Has anyone out there used the Yakima Exo system on a Y?

And have I read correctly that the total weight supported on the hitch is 160lbs? I can't tell if it's 120 plus 40 for the Tesla hitch rack, or 120 total.

In any case, while it would be super cool to use the two-shelf system, that would seem to be a weight problem.

Last, are there after market options to beef up the hitch weight capacity?

THANKS!

There’s some back-and-forth on the weight rating, but many suggest that it’s 160 total. That’s what is stated in the user manual. The 120 confusion comes from the fact that on the Tesla shop page for the Tesla-branded rack, the weight limit is specified as 120 for BOTH the X and Y, while the separate user manuals for each vehicle specify 120 and 160 respectively. Myself, I’m going with the user manual rating, which has been consistent across multiple versions of the manual.

I
Hey there- This is my first point. have a Model Y delivering between May 29-June 18 and getting outfitted for summer travel.

And have I read correctly that the total weight supported on the hitch is 160lbs? I can't tell if it's 120 plus 40 for the Tesla hitch rack, or 120 total.

In any case, while it would be super cool to use the two-shelf system, that would seem to be a weight problem.

THANKS!
There’s some back-and-forth on the weight rating, but many suggest that it’s 160 total. That’s what is stated in the user manual. The 120 confusion comes from the fact that on the Tesla shop page for the Tesla-branded rack, the weight limit is specified as 120 for BOTH the X and Y, while the separate user manuals for each vehicle specify 120 and 160 respectively. Myself, I’m going with the user manual rating, which has been consistent across multiple versions of the manual.
Thanks for that!

Is anyone using the EcoHitch? It claims a 350-lb capacity.

Is anyone using the EcoHitch? It claims a 350-lb capacity.
I think there should be an important distinction between towing tongue weight and equipment weight capacity.

Both the Eco Hitch and the OEM receivers are rated for 350/3500 lb tongue weight/trailer weight. These weights are always specific to towing with a ball mount.

The 160 lb rating is with respect to "hitch mounted accessories", indicating bike racks, cargo racks, etc. I don't think I have seen any hitch receiver manufacturer publish a value for this. If it were me, if the two assemblies are comparable between OEM and TorkLift (Ecohitch), I would suspect the ratings to be similar. My speculation for the lowered rating vs the tongue weight has to do with the height of the weight on the hitch mounted accessories which can create a large cyclical torque on the receiver and it's mounting points that may not occur due by regular towing.

Lastly, the manual states if there is a discrepancy between the hitch receiver labeling and the manual, the manual takes precedence.

I think there should be an important distinction between towing tongue weight and equipment weight capacity.

Both the Eco Hitch and the OEM receivers are rated for 350/3500 lb tongue weight/trailer weight. These weights are always specific to towing with a ball mount.

The 160 lb rating is with respect to "hitch mounted accessories", indicating bike racks, cargo racks, etc. I don't think I have seen any hitch receiver manufacturer publish a value for this. If it were me, if the two assemblies are comparable between OEM and TorkLift (Ecohitch), I would suspect the ratings to be similar. My speculation for the lowered rating vs the tongue weight has to do with the height of the weight on the hitch mounted accessories which can create a large cyclical torque on the receiver and it's mounting points that may not occur due by regular towing.

Lastly, the manual states if there is a discrepancy between the hitch receiver labeling and the manual, the manual takes precedence.
gotcha, THANKS!

THANKS!
Hey Shane:

Did you get the Yakima Exo? I’m contemplating getting it for my MY.
I spoke with my Tesla repair place, north of Boston on the other ocean, and he said the 160 vertical weight limit is for items that stick up and out of the shape of the car: surf boards/kayaks/ paddle boards. Most of the Exo attachments are hung behind the car are thus considered “tongue weight” and the Tesla can carry 350 pounds of tongue weight. This news was a relief since the Exo is pretty heavy already and I need to put some weight in the basket/container.

Reactions: Noflash