Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer hauling bikes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to haul five bikes around. Before buying the Model X I put four bikes on a 1up rack and put one bike on a roof rack. Roof racks don't work well on the X so now I'm looking at trailers.

Yakima is the best trailer I've found so far (I'm open to other suggestions.) I liked the fact that it is aluminum, breaks down for storage in the garage, suspension, etc.

66" trailer
vs
78" trailer

There are two width options. Yakima says the 66" model can fit five bikes max and rates the 78" for seven bikes max. As the X is 79" wide the wider trailer might be easier to see while towing without using the backup camera. Thoughts from those that tow regarding differences in towing efficiency between the two, ease of towing, etc.? Thanks

I need to haul five bikes around. Before buying the Model X I put four bikes on a 1up rack and put one bike on a roof rack. Roof racks don't work well on the X so now I'm looking at trailers.

Yakima is the best trailer I've found so far (I'm open to other suggestions.) I liked the fact that it is aluminum, breaks down for storage in the garage, suspension, etc.

66" trailer
vs
78" trailer

There are two width options. Yakima says the 66" model can fit five bikes max and rates the 78" for seven bikes max. As the X is 79" wide the wider trailer might be easier to see while towing without using the backup camera. Thoughts from those that tow regarding differences in towing efficiency between the two, ease of towing, etc.? Thanks

My experience with towing prior to the X was none. So this is from that point of view - now having towed various trailers for a year and thousands of miles. I prefer a trailer that's roughly the same width as my X. It makes it easier to navigate. I know for a fact that (early on) it's still there and I didn't lose it. That if the X fits, I fit. And in general, it's following the same track/path as my X.

Depending on how far you tow, etc. Those yakima's seem to be very light duty and best suited for local. For efficiency, the 66" should be more efficient than the 78" but it wont be all that bad since it's still smaller than the X width.

For space conversation, take a look at Kendon trailers. More suited for motorcycles, but they fold up nice and compactly.
The other option is to pick up any lightweight, space saving trailer of your liking and then pick up a ProRac or something similiar. That would give you a ton more options too.

images
429692d1233708494-bike-rack-fit-trailer-trailer.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus and COrich
@Zippy_EV: I have been searching for the same information as you and have had little if any luck getting a straight answer on this. The trailer seems like it would be a great fit if it works on the highway. But I have not found anybody, yet, who actually uses one to give an answer. If you get some good information, please post a response to this thread. I will do likewise.

@Zippy_EV: I have been searching for the same information as you and have had little if any luck getting a straight answer on this. The trailer seems like it would be a great fit if it works on the highway. But I have not found anybody, yet, who actually uses one to give an answer. If you get some good information, please post a response to this thread. I will do likewise.

Curious if anyone has done this yet?

I'm considering the Yakima Rack and Roll 66" as OP suggested, using it mainly for a cargo box to pull behind a Model Y. Would like to go on trips at highway speed for 3 hours or so (200 miles). Seems like this would yield better efficiency than having the cargo box on the roof of the car or having a heavier trailer. The Yakima rack looks very lightweight and big enough to meet my needs (lightweight, my load probably less than 100 lbs, just some camping gear and maybe a road bike).

Thanks,
Nick

66" trailer
vs
78" trailer

how far are you planning on towing. that trailer is gonna be a parachute at highway speeds.

how far are you planning on towing. that trailer is gonna be a parachute at highway speeds.
From Reddit:

"Hooked up the Thule trailer today to do some yard work. Drove about 90 miles, including hwy. Watts / mile stayed right around 260 - it was like the trailer wasn’t even there"

I want to try this now to see for myself. Thinking of getting the Yakima 66" trailer that OP suggested and using my Thule cargo box on it. Should have much better aerodynamics than putting the cargo box on top of the car.

From Reddit:

"Hooked up the Thule trailer today to do some yard work. Drove about 90 miles, including hwy. Watts / mile stayed right around 260 - it was like the trailer wasn’t even there"

I want to try this now to see for myself. Thinking of getting the Yakima 66" trailer that OP suggested and using my Thule cargo box on it. Should have much better aerodynamics than putting the cargo box on top of the car.

i dont know much about the baseline watts for a Y. for the X, if you baby it you can get 350? but, normal driving I see 400.

you won't have much aerodynamic penalty around town, but once you hit the highway anything over 55 is going to result in a huge drag penalty. I have not towed a tiny trailer like the one you linked, but it might give you some data for different speeds:

- unloaded car trailer with avg speed 55mph 459 Wh/mi
- loaded car trailer with an avg speed of 51 mph 511 Wh/mi

curious what numbers you end up with

You can buy several of these for the price of the Yakima!

That does appear to be a lot cheaper ($450 vs $2500), and actually has a much higher capacity (1720 lbs vs 250 lbs), so for a lot of people that's probably better. However it appears to have a rated speed of only 45 mph (perhaps that's just a CYA for the manufacturer, and it would have no problem with highway speeds). The Yakima is rated for highway speeds, they don't list a specific speed just say drive at posted speed limit.

For my purposes I was hoping to travel 200+ miles without needing to stop to charge, so am a bit concerned about efficiency and aerodynamics. The Yakima is very lightweight and the gear I'd be hauling is also very lightweight, just bulky.

I use the Kendon trailer, it's cheaper, stores easier, holds more.