Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yakima Ridgeback 2 Bike Rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
9A321A8E-E5BC-4878-9708-B16979CFB1C2.jpeg

2B7F90BC-B7CB-4D5C-ADF1-4DEF05BEC092.jpeg

31B52778-6DD2-4DDC-B8AF-9FD970533196.jpeg

C4D8FF5D-BC4F-45BE-95D4-222C1830C73E.jpeg

8FF61E37-72B9-40FD-8785-322C5FA4086E.jpeg

B8A32645-E61E-472F-8DDF-4AB1E5114496.jpeg

F10C12FF-7EBF-43C5-AD54-FBB3AC4CAF9A.jpeg

0A88F264-CC07-4E0C-82ED-45619CF01EAF.jpeg

FFA3A692-6D2A-46F8-BA2C-61E6497845B4.jpeg

Attachments

• FFA9A389-2DB5-4E7F-B86A-36214E1FC1D1.jpeg
    FFA9A389-2DB5-4E7F-B86A-36214E1FC1D1.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 44
Found it at REI for $315.00 so I picked it up because from looking at others they were $449 - $800.00 so $315.00 for me was a good buy. Probably find it a lot cheaper elsewhere but they had it there so I took it.

The middle picture above this one is Bottle Openers on the ends of those bike poles. The straps grip the bike frame right and the U straps are easy to install and remove. Tomorrow I will take the bike for a ride to see if there are any rear sensor error codes. If so I have the 7 pin tow hitch adapter I can slap on to see if that will quiet any sensors.

Fred

Reactions: WeooooooHuh
Would love to hear your assessment of this rack after you've used it for a while.
Will keep updating since I will be riding a lot now. This is a 2 bike rack. Kinda heavy but I was able to muscle it into the 2” hitch slot. You turn the orange knob until it tightens up and you lock it with a key. Once locked the knob just free turns with no resistance. Overall this rack is solid, not flimsy at all.

The only issue, you have to remember NOT to hit the rear trunk button from the screen or the App, the rear trunk will hit the rack. So leave the car first then Tilt the rack back and then you are able to open the trunk.

Fred

The only issue I can noticed is the license plate not visible.
This might not be too much for a short drive on a back road with the bike attached.

But for your every day commute If you keep the bike carrier without a bike,
this could annoy some disgruntled CHP officer working on his quota...

Also the rear lights might a little bit obstructed when caring a bike,
however putting the bike slanted help a little bit.

I noticed the Thule XT carrier has a license holder and rear lights, but this is a big carrier.

Note: Last time I was in SD, I rode my bike in the canyon next to Sorrento Valley Blvd.

- Do you have any spots you can recommend for mountain bike?

The only issue I can noticed is the license plate not visible.
This might not be too much for a short drive on a back road with the bike attached.

But for your every day commute If you keep the bike carrier without a bike,
this could annoy some disgruntled CHP officer working on his quota...

Also the rear lights might a little bit obstructed when caring a bike,
however putting the bike slanted help a little bit.

I noticed the Thule XT carrier has a license holder and rear lights, but this is a big carrier.

Note: Last time I was in SD, I rode my bike in the canyon next to Sorrento Valley Blvd.

- Do you have any spots you can recommend for mountain bike?
Lots of cool places I’m sure but I’m more of a casual cruiser and stay on flat paved roads like on Silver Stand which is between Imperial Beach & Coronado Island. As far as Plates I have one on the front bumper as well, today with Corona you don’t see cops pulling people over as much.

Lots of cool places I’m sure but I’m more of a casual cruiser and stay on flat paved roads like on Silver Stand which is between Imperial Beach & Coronado Island. As far as Plates I have one on the front bumper as well, today with Corona you don’t see cops pulling people over as much.
The Silver Strand area between the Hotel del Coronado and the Imperial Beach pier is a great outdoor area
with few authentic Mexican restaurants.

But this is only accessible by car because of the Coronado bridge, unless you go all the way to Chula vista
but I would not recommend leaving your car there.

Also the Silver Strand area is less crowed than the Mission Beach and the Giant Dipper roller coaster area.

The Cabrillo National Monument at Point Loma is a great spot for the view, but I remember been a little upset
after all those curbs and climbs, and been passed by polluting trucks, to have to pay a fee to enter !!!
I think the city should give away the access as a reward for cyclists.

A nice ride is to go from Oceanside to San Clemente along the cost, but don't forget your ID to pass inside the Camp Pendleton.

This is the Saris rack, a lot of bikers prefer racks that don't use the frame as a hold point.... I used this on my Chevy Bolt as well and would recommend it if you want to avoid racks that use the frame, relying instead on holding the wheels/tires.

I've had the 4-bike version of that for years on my Subaru and now on my MY. Works OK and you can actually get the pin in.

I had a wheel based rack on my 2003 camry roof. Subaru was too tall and I wasn't about to stick a roof rack on the MY

Hanging by the frame doesn't bother me. Got expensive bike but not prima donnas.