Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yakima Whisbar Rack on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yakima's fit guide says that the Whisbar rack is not compatible with the Model S. They are correct, however, with a very slight modification it will fit perfectly. The only incompatibility is that Yakima uses a 6mm threaded rod to connect the rack to the cars mounting point. Tesla's mounting point is 8mm. Simply replace the 6mm threaded rod and nut with a new 8mm and all is good. You do have to ream out the hole in the Yakima mount very slightly slightly. I used stainless steel threaded rod and wing nuts to prevent rust or oxidation. Hard to find at the local hardware store. In desperation I tried Amazon and found a 30cm piece. You need 4 pieces at 8 cm (3 inches) each. The Yakima parts are: Whisbar S28 Kit and Smart Foot K380w kit. Installation and on/off are very easy. I am using an Inno Cargo Box for skis and
P1070015.jpg
P1070017.jpg
P1070018.jpg
P1070022.jpg
P1070026.jpg
P1070027.jpg
P1070028.jpg
P1070029.jpg
Inno Bike racks.

I was visiting the Seattle area recently. The Bellevue Square Tesla Store had a Whisbar rack on their in-store Model S with two snow boards attached. It felt like the store was getting ready for a winter merchandising set (I'm a retail geek). Any way, I asked about it and the employee didn't have much to share... would be a great in-store revenue opportunity if the stores decided to stock Model S compatible racks.

Great, thanks for sharing. Can you test in similar condition the Wh/mi with and without the box? I am very interested in the results as I was planning on getting one but I need to see if I can expect to reach my destination ;)

I have driven the car with just the bars and noticed very little decrease. My plan is to zero out a trip meter and see how it does with bar and bikes. Box test will come later when the snow flies. I do know that the Inno box is very aerodynamic and had minimal effect on my Honda CRV. I will repost when I have some actual numbers rather than feelings.

I was visiting the Seattle area recently. The Bellevue Square Tesla Store had a Whisbar rack on their in-store Model S with two snow boards attached. It felt like the store was getting ready for a winter merchandising set (I'm a retail geek). Any way, I asked about it and the employee didn't have much to share... would be a great in-store revenue opportunity if the stores decided to stock Model S compatible racks.

Sweet!

Thanks for sharing these pictures and your experience fitting that rack.

It looks to me like the box when mounted on the rack angles upward, following the slope of the car's roof. If the box is slanted so the leading edge faces upward, do you worry about an upward wind force pulling up on the structural mounting point (potentially causing damage to the car), and does that lift affect range adversely (I'd imagine it sits more level on the CRV)? I know you'll be testing more, so I'm really interested in your experience.

That's excellent news, from both of the first two posters. Detlefo: how do you rate the noise level, from both just the bars and then with your apparatus? And did you have to alter (limit) your rear door's rise in order for it to just not hit the Inno box, as shown in that close-up?

More: when I went to REI last week, I think, but am not positive, I was told the appropriate Smart Feet for the Model S were "X" for the bow and "Y" for the stern - "Y" being higher and thus raising the rear bar so that each bar is level and thus avoiding that situation SteveW just raised.

Last edited:
I've had the bars on for a few days with and without bikes, about 200 miles. No box. I live in the foothills and all my drives include at least one to two thousand feet of climbing. My watts/mile has increased by about 8, but this includes a long rather spirited test drive. There is an increase in wind noise but at an acceptable level (for me that is, this is rather subjective). My Pano roof had real wind issues, finally fixed on the second go round. Wind noise from the bar plus bikes is less than the pano roof pre fix. The rear mount is taller than the front, but, you are right it would be better with an even taller mount to get the box more level. This is not an issue with the bike rack. I have not had to limit the rear door's rise, The photo with the door up is fully up and there is plenty of clearance. In any case I will be testing more and will post when I have more experience with the box.

I've been informed by a Whisbar engineer that the Model S version will be available Dec 1st.

I am in REI right now and thought I'd just check the forum before buying. Once again a great forum. Thanks for the input. Will wait a few weeks to see if Whispbar becomes available, else I'll be on amazon buying 8mm bits! THANKS ALL. Pm me please if you see Whispbar available!

- - - Updated - - -

I've been informed by a Whisbar engineer that the Model S version will be available Dec 1st.

I am in REI right now and thought I'd just check the forum before buying. Once again a great forum. Thanks for the input. Will wait a few weeks to see if Whispbar becomes available, else I'll be on amazon buying 8mm bits! THANKS ALL. Pm me please if you see Whispbar available!

So fast car = fast bikes, what's everyone riding? :)

Ah, a false assumption!
1993 Cannondale T700 touring bike (with some modifications). Has seen loaded touring duty and around town errand duty.
2010 Comotion Periscope tandem (2) for toting our girls around
1988 Giordano frame with classic :rolleyes: Sante components--actually, the frame itself is a great Italian build with beautiful lugs. Was fun to race citizen class on it.

I suppose the last one could be considered fast in its day but certainly not anymore. Besides, I can't power a fast, light bike the way I used to so it would be wasted on me now.