Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YASFOW - Yet Another Stress Fracture of Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went out and noticed a crack on the lower passenger side of the windshield.

Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 9.06.55 AM.png

Jonathan at the Rockville Service Center handled this impeccably. I really respect Tesla service.

I had exactly the same thing happen to my car a few months ago. It looked exactly as it does in your picture, and pictures that so many others have posted, so I thought it was no doubt a stress fracture. It clearly emanated from a far corner of the windshield. Mine did not receive warranty coverage, however, because there as apparently a pin sized impact point that was invisible to the naked eye. They determined this by the famous ballpoint pen test.

I had exactly the same thing happen to my car a few months ago. It looked exactly as it does in your picture, and pictures that so many others have posted, so I thought it was no doubt a stress fracture. It clearly emanated from a far corner of the windshield. Mine did not receive warranty coverage, however, because there as apparently a pin sized impact point that was invisible to the naked eye. They determined this by the famous ballpoint pen test.

How much did it cost to replace your windshield? I may need to have mine replaced because of a scratch that can be felt with your fingernail. It appears a small rock got caught between wiper and windshield. :(

I was told when they replaced mine a few months back that while they consider this issue "fixed" due to the additional beveling they added to reduce the spontaneous cracking, that there's still a lot of stress applied in that area. This makes it more susceptible to even stone chips and other sorts of user-caused damaged than other parts of the windshield.

Glad they took care of it. It's an expensive replacement, as noted above.