TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

YASFOW - Yet Another Stress Fracture of Windshield

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by thedaysbetween, Oct 4, 2014.

1. thedaysbetween

I recently went out and noticed a crack on the lower passenger side of the windshield.

Screen Shot 2014-10-04 at 9.06.55 AM.png

Jonathan at the Rockville Service Center handled this impeccably. I really respect Tesla service.

2. Vger

Vger Active Member

Was "yet another" another for your car, or just in general?

Glad Tesla handled this well. Mine was handled easily early on, but others had to fight for warranty coverage.

3. thedaysbetween

I was not clear. This was my first stress fracture. I was referring to the incidents of other owners. Tesla handled my incidence under warranty.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Wow, I thought this issue was corrected long ago...haven't seen it much recently.

I believe it's in part related to how the windshield tapers down in thickness toward the edges.

5. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I had exactly the same thing happen to my car a few months ago. It looked exactly as it does in your picture, and pictures that so many others have posted, so I thought it was no doubt a stress fracture. It clearly emanated from a far corner of the windshield. Mine did not receive warranty coverage, however, because there as apparently a pin sized impact point that was invisible to the naked eye. They determined this by the famous ballpoint pen test.

6. Rahine

Rahine Member

How much did it cost to replace your windshield? I may need to have mine replaced because of a scratch that can be felt with your fingernail. It appears a small rock got caught between wiper and windshield. :(

7. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

~1200 IIRC. Insurance should cover it.

8. Rahine

Rahine Member

Thanks

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I was told when they replaced mine a few months back that while they consider this issue "fixed" due to the additional beveling they added to reduce the spontaneous cracking, that there's still a lot of stress applied in that area. This makes it more susceptible to even stone chips and other sorts of user-caused damaged than other parts of the windshield.

Glad they took care of it. It's an expensive replacement, as noted above.