Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YAUAT yet another usb audio thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
everything in my new model 3 (2018.24.1) works perfectly.....except I can play music from a usb flash drive. Bluetooth audio is fine, fm is fine. started with usb 3.1 drive with about 6 gb of mp3's formatted fat32. tried both front ports, rebooted, tried older usb 3.0 drive also fat32 with only 3 files at 3 different bit rates, also tried in both front ports. whatever i do - the flash drive is read in, all the songs/artists/albums are listed, correct album art is displayed by each song, but ANY song I try to play leads to a failure to load error. not one song has played. help?

Hot Damn! that worked ie after deleting the APE tags all the tracks will play. with mp3tag it is easy to remove the APE tag from each file and leave the ID3 tags intact. I am fairly compulsive about editing all the tags on my music files and happily I didn't have to reenter any tag information. thank you immensely. now if the player in the model 3 would play the tracks in random order....

Hot Damn! that worked ie after deleting the APE tags all the tracks will play. with mp3tag it is easy to remove the APE tag from each file and leave the ID3 tags intact. I am fairly compulsive about editing all the tags on my music files and happily I didn't have to reenter any tag information. thank you immensely. now if the player in the model 3 would play the tracks in random order....

Hmm, sounds like I need to update my version of MP3Tag. The one I had was an all or nothing with the tag removal which added many more steps to get the information back in. Still, glad you got it working again. I sent an E-mail to the service center on this, but I'm sure it wont' get anywhere. Hopefully their programmers figure this out and get it working like they have in the S/X already!

Hmm, sounds like I need to update my version of MP3Tag. The one I had was an all or nothing with the tag removal which added many more steps to get the information back in. Still, glad you got it working again. I sent an E-mail to the service center on this, but I'm sure it wont' get anywhere. Hopefully their programmers figure this out and get it working like they have in the S/X already!
I just found this thread a few days ago. I believe that all I had to do was go to Setting (or maybe Preferences?) and put a check next to APE for 'Remove' and leave the others selected. Then I think it's just Ctrl-X to remove the tags.

My problem is that no matter what I try, I just cannot get FLAC files to play reliably. I've even gone as far as to delete the rest of my music, just to make sure some other file is not causing hiccups.

Without fail, I start the FLAC file and it restarts the songs / stops playback / skips to the next song within the first 2 minutes. I've tried different USB drives, and different FLAC files. I'm at a loss.

My problem is that no matter what I try, I just cannot get FLAC files to play reliably. I've even gone as far as to delete the rest of my music, just to make sure some other file is not causing hiccups.

Without fail, I start the FLAC file and it restarts the songs / stops playback / skips to the next song within the first 2 minutes. I've tried different USB drives, and different FLAC files. I'm at a loss.

Odd. Are you encoding them yourself? I wonder if the model 3 is different than the model S. I have had a few files with issues, but 95%+ of them I've used haven't had any issues in my Model S.

Odd. Are you encoding them yourself? I wonder if the model 3 is different than the model S. I have had a few files with issues, but 95%+ of them I've used haven't had any issues in my Model S.

Most are encoded by me, I’ve tried downloaded from other sources too. I’m at a loss. I’d love to just chalk it up to Model 3 growing pains, but at this point it seems like I’m the only one having this issue.

I haven't had a problem with flacs misbehaving like that, at least in my brief periods trying the incredibly bad USB audio system. I would check what sample rate and bitrate your flacs are encoded at - higher numbers will skip like you report.

I haven't had a problem with flacs misbehaving like that, at least in my brief periods trying the incredibly bad USB audio system. I would check what sample rate and bitrate your flacs are encoded at - higher numbers will skip like you report.
I did some more extensive testing over the weekend, and came to the same conclusion that the bitrate is what's causing this... I haven't found the exact cutoff, but I have no problem playing files with average kbps of 500-700, but anything above 900 (possibly lower) fails consistently.

This makes little sense to me, as I've found threads where people talk about playing files with much higher bitrates without incident. Given that these were older discussions, I'm assuming they pertain to Model S / X. So it could just be that the Model 3 USB player is poorly written (can't possibly be an issue of computational power).

Of course, we already know it needs A LOT of work...

I ordered a Model 3 AWD about 2 weeks ago, so currently in the looooong waiting period. I had assumed going in to it that with the way Tesla is otherwise so ahead of the curve, they would have all the latest of everything with audio connectivity - choices of online streaming services, USB connectivity to any DAP available along with a direct AUX port, etc. I have been reading stuff on line about the audio system and find out that they choices for music sources are somewhat limited, at best. I am sort of an audiophile (high end home system with 3,000, LPs, etc) and it looks like USB flash drive is the way to go with WAV or FLAC. What I was wondering, is it better to have my files of music on multiple smaller flash drives (32 GB or less) that you could just switch out OR have one large stick (say 256 GB). Is there problems with slower loading / start up times with the larger drive?

I ordered a Model 3 AWD about 2 weeks ago, so currently in the looooong waiting period. I had assumed going in to it that with the way Tesla is otherwise so ahead of the curve, they would have all the latest of everything with audio connectivity - choices of online streaming services, USB connectivity to any DAP available along with a direct AUX port, etc. I have been reading stuff on line about the audio system and find out that they choices for music sources are somewhat limited, at best. I am sort of an audiophile (high end home system with 3,000, LPs, etc) and it looks like USB flash drive is the way to go with WAV or FLAC. What I was wondering, is it better to have my files of music on multiple smaller flash drives (32 GB or less) that you could just switch out OR have one large stick (say 256 GB). Is there problems with slower loading / start up times with the larger drive?
I have a single 256GB stick with a little over 8,000 songs (98% FLAC). Usually it works well - it even plays 96kHz 24 but 5 channel FLACs (it mixes it down to stereo or plays just the L and R channels, I can’t remember which). Some songs won’t play (probably the tag issue mentioned earlier), but most do.

Sometimes when the car starts up, all 8000 songs are ready to play. Other times it takes a minute or two to load the songs into its database. UI is terrible but sound quality is so good...

I have a single 256GB stick with a little over 8,000 songs (98% FLAC). Usually it works well - it even plays 96kHz 24 but 5 channel FLACs (it mixes it down to stereo or plays just the L and R channels, I can’t remember which). Some songs won’t play (probably the tag issue mentioned earlier), but most do.

Sometimes when the car starts up, all 8000 songs are ready to play. Other times it takes a minute or two to load the songs into its database. UI is terrible but sound quality is so good...
Have you had any issues with high bitrate (~700-800 kbps+) FLAC files? In my Model 3, they crash and either restart the song or skip to the next one.

What I was wondering, is it better to have my files of music on multiple smaller flash drives (32 GB or less) that you could just switch out OR have one large stick (say 256 GB). Is there problems with slower loading / start up times with the larger drive?

I've heard that you can use one of those cheap non-powered usb hubs and attach multiple flash drives. Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but maybe food for thought...

Personally I think that we need to wait until the USB system gets updated before actually using it - it's pretty useless in its current form. And bug tesla relentlessly about it until it's updated.

Have you had any issues with high bitrate (~700-800 kbps+) FLAC files? In my Model 3, they crash and either restart the song or skip to the next one.
I've consistently experienced skipping or "Loading Error" problems with high bitrate FLACs. However, in my case every one of the problem FLACs was over 1000 kbps. I have had no problems with playing any in the 700-900 kbps range. But this is on a Model S, so maybe the Model 3 is devoting less CPU to the music player?

Last edited:
Reactions: flashflooder