Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yeah ... body repair is pricey .. but this seems excessive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So - my minor blunder in a parking lot in december (ran into the back of someone) caused some damage. From 15 feet away, the only indication of any damage was a horizontal line (which was a split) on the front bumper, and the gap between the hood and the bumper in the front was slightly pinched.

To my untrained eye (but having had body repair with other vehicles in the past), it appeared to be a $3k job. Took it to an ins. appt'd shop (required) for first estimate - $2500 (front bumper replacement and hood ... hood had a very slight buckle to it)... which didn't take into consideration any damage under the bumper. I expected based on what might be going on and from some reading online - I'd likely be going to $5-8k .. .which I thought was a lot.

So, take it to a highly recommended and Tesla-certified shop. Nearly $14k!!! I get most of it (foam bumper, bumper bar, one of the headlight brackets, brackets for hood, etc., plus radar bracket, elec. recalibration, etc., painting/finishing/blending, some very minor front fender repair).

But what stood out was a $5300 surcharge for it being a Tesla vehicle. Not counting this markup - it would be around $8500.

But what stood out was a $5300 surcharge for it being a Tesla vehicle. Not counting this markup - it would be around $8500.
Could you expand on this a little more? Was this an actual line item? How was that $5300 listed on the estimate or is it just "baked in" and the estimator said Tesla's are 60% more (which 13.8k would be 60% more expensive than 8500)? Is this 60% more in labor rate? Parts? Paint?

It just indicated it was a "misc" line-item charge for repairing a Tesla ... not any addition to labor rate etc. All those things are itemized.

I wonder if that is them purchasing the necessary Model 3 "jigs" from Tesla and billing you because they don't have them yet. (Or sometimes they rent the jigs rather than purchase them, but that seems expensive.)

So, the estimate papers are from my insurance provider ... this charge is a line item for labor rate difference (their way to present it in their system I suppose).

So, the labor rate for Tesla repair is about twice that of normal labor rate.

This is a Tesla-certified shop. One that was highly recommended by my local Tesla Service Center.

Yes. The Tesla certified shop (the one that filled with exotic cars) was the one that quoted $4k to replace and repaint the trunk lid. The actual Tesla service center that also does body work (there are a few in SoCal) quoted $2k. My friend did not claim insurance... so $2k is better than $4k LOL.

So - my minor blunder in a parking lot in december (ran into the back of someone) caused some damage. From 15 feet away, the only indication of any damage was a horizontal line (which was a split) on the front bumper, and the gap between the hood and the bumper in the front was slightly pinched.

To my untrained eye (but having had body repair with other vehicles in the past), it appeared to be a $3k job. Took it to an ins. appt'd shop (required) for first estimate - $2500 (front bumper replacement and hood ... hood had a very slight buckle to it)... which didn't take into consideration any damage under the bumper. I expected based on what might be going on and from some reading online - I'd likely be going to $5-8k .. .which I thought was a lot.

So, take it to a highly recommended and Tesla-certified shop. Nearly $14k!!! I get most of it (foam bumper, bumper bar, one of the headlight brackets, brackets for hood, etc., plus radar bracket, elec. recalibration, etc., painting/finishing/blending, some very minor front fender repair).

The $5300 is the "we don't really want to mess with it" surcharge. I do something similar when asked to do work in high-rises. Not really interested in the work but if you REALLY want me I will do it.