Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yeah, I Bought A Digital License Plate.....sigh.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one of these plates for my plaid. Rationale for buying it is as follows:

1. My car is black with a black interior. I don’t mind the CA 1960 retro plate, but I’ve had one for a long time already. Plus, the ubiquity has resulted in them becoming a little played out, IMO. It’s a shame the DMV didn’t get enough votes to bring back the blue/yellow and others colors too—so we could have some variety. Regardless, I’d prefer something different this time, and RPlate is the only way to get black/monochrome, which would obviously go alright with a black car. I think it’s a very nice match. And seeing how much us enthusiasts pay to make our cars look good ($$$$ for PPF, ceramic coating, tints, wraps etc.), I think a few hundreds dollars for a different, nicer plate is absolutely justifiable. The plate area is one of the foremost points of visual interest on any car, and the options are very limited for making yours personal, and fitting it in with your colors. Honestly I think these plates makes a lot of sense—even totally ignoring the functionality—and I’m surprised so many here are settling for the basic, Civic-pusher take on the matter.

2. I’ll never use a front plate. Just won’t. Therefore, I think this plate will be useful, or possibly even pay for itself and/or save money, if it gets me out of a ticket or two in its lifetime. Of course, ignorance of the law isn’t a valid excuse and it’s quite possible to get a front plate ticket with one of these things. But as far as I can tell, having one of these plates gives you the best possible plausible deniability in going without a front plate. It’s a new thing, cops and users alike would receive more than ample forgiveness, for being unaware of exactly how they’re treated from the legal perspective. The relationship + discrepancies between what’s displayed on the RPlate and what’s displayed on the original, physical plates you presumably have is understandably going to change, as you modify the plate number, color, messages and etc.. Additionally, it’s a fancy, upscale piece of equipment and one might even assume that no front plate req. is one of the perks of having it (and it seems some people make that assumption and/or raise this question on discussion posts about it.). The fact that the Rplate doesn’t come with anything for the front and/or even address this question prominently all goes to supports this. Isn’t the idea of using this electronic plate plus a generic physical plate simultaneously sort of awkward, and perhaps defeating the appeal of the thing? I think the chance of cops either letting you go with a warning, or not stopping you in the first place is very high, with these things.

3. Anonymity when driving out of state. I’ve been lucky apparently, but one of my best friends who drives OOS frequently has had bad experiences with getting undue attention, simply for having a California plate. Being pulled over by police, having his car searched and/or attempted to be searched for drugs. I have heard tales along these lines from others, and trust that there isn’t more to his stories. But in the interest of avoiding situations like these—including social stigma FWIW, I can see the appeal to having a plate that doesn’t instantly identify me as a Californian. However, this point may be a double edged sword, in how it might draw more unwanted attention, by the simple nature of being a visually distinct plate. I can’t predict the outcome of this factor though, and figure it may be hit-or-miss in either direction.

In short, I don’t expect this plate to guarantee me a molestation-free driving experience. It may very well draw more unwanted attention to me—especially out of state. However, I’m only out of state occasionally. And the way I see it, this plate probably offers me the best chance out there, of getting away with no front plate for as long as possible. I don’t see an alternative scenario which gives me a better chance. And I believe it looks nice, on top of the other functionality/convenience.

Just my 2¢!

Cali registration costs sound ridiculous and a digital plate might make sense. Besides that I see this as another way to customize your car which you don't need to explain to anyone. It's not like during a high speed chase you can duck into an alley and have the plate change into something else like a bond movie right.

I doubt this buys you any plausible deniability for not running a front plate if an officer wants to stop you. 😂 Even if it's not a fix-it ticket, paying the ticket is gonna cost less than a digital plate.

Bought one last year. I do not recommend it. Reviver has a lot of BS in their advertisements, how you can customize it and all. Customization - almost impossible. I had a custom message and it took them almost a year to approve the message. The renewal is a total fiasco! Instead of spending 10 minutes to put the new sticker on, I had to make pictures of my renewal and the sticker, and send them to me. Then they had to push the new image back to the plate. Already sounds ridiculous. On top of that, the update they pushed now does not work. They sent me instructions to reset the plate, they did not work either. Now they have to perform some kind of the OTA reset, which requires removing the license plate from the car (UGH!). If that does not work, they said they would have to send me a new plate. I already spent more than 2 hours on something that would've taken me 10 minutes otherwise. Very frustrated,

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I have had for 2 years. It is great. I can renew tags with credit card for no extra fee(like the DMV charges). It's instant,. no lost or waiting for tags(DMV still sends). 1st year took FOREVER to get my customs approved or denied. last 6 months are great...TONS of stuff, and EASY to change. I did NOT have to push new image, soon as I paid tags thru Reviver, BAM updated on phone sync.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Its funny but you also have people buying garage door openers to retro their teslas for 350 dollars, when you can easily stick a remote behind the screen and press the button once or twice.

You are paying for the bleeding edge here. One day digital LP's may be the norm. Because it is cool to have them update automaticaly, or use them to convey messages when roads are closed ahead etc. If there is a traffic jam itd be cool if they'd flash caution or something. Just dont force citizens to subscribe to them, include the cost in tags or something.

Its funny but you also have people buying garage door openers to retro their teslas for 350 dollars, when you can easily stick a remote behind the screen and press the button once or twice.

You are paying for the bleeding edge here. One day digital LP's may be the norm. Because it is cool to have them update automaticaly, or use them to convey messages when roads are closed ahead etc. If there is a traffic jam itd be cool if they'd flash caution or something. Just dont force citizens to subscribe to them, include the cost in tags or something.
My Tesla opener works WAY better than our garage openers(we have 3 of 3 different brands and they aren't as good) Get what ya pay for. Also has the auto close and open from distances(which I dont use)

Reactions: evannole
My Tesla opener works WAY better than our garage openers(we have 3 of 3 different brands and they aren't as good) Get what ya pay for. Also has the auto close and open from distances(which I dont use)
Agree - and I do use the auto close/open feature. It's great, especially with MyQ. (With our particular garage door, it was always kind of finicky with Homelink, as sometimes it would fire too soon and not actually trigger the door, and if you adjusted the distance to be closer, then you'd be waiting longer than you'd like for the garage to be open. Since MyQ does not rely on an on-board transmitter, it's much better in that regard.)

I also would rather not leave a transmitter, which could be stolen, in my car.

Reactions: whisperingshad