Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yeah, I Bought A Digital License Plate.....sigh.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your spending upwards of $1000 for PPF, the digital plate makes sense. It exempts you from having to run a front plate AND in the future could enable you to not install the 4 hideous pink stickers on the front and back of your car. Of course I already have my hideous stickers and front plate installed since I use the stickers daily, but it's temping to get the rear e-plate just to not need to install the front one.

And that is without mentioning the tracking unit and other advantages like not having to install yearly stickers.

I don't understand why people think the OP made a bad choice, unless it's due to the experience he is sharing with us.

Reactions: RobsJester
I complained that I had to pay around $200 in Florida. Once.

Just got back from a Cali trip this spring... beautiful place. Proof politicians can ruin anything, though... just can’t imagine how living there makes any financial sense at all, unless you’re a movie star of course :)

It makes sense when 21 year old college grads can fairly easily get $300k+/year working at Facebook.

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
If your spending upwards of $1000 for PPF, the digital plate makes sense. It exempts you from having to run a front plate

Unless something changed, this isn't true? Hoping I'm wrong, of course.

____

On topic (since half the thread is off topic): I've been in limbo about getting one of these. The Essential just got lowered to $350 + $200 install a week or two ago. Hope this gets resolved for you soon! Please post any updates.

I was told by the Digital License Plate installer that the front license plate would still be required per CA law....

I was also told the delay for the HOV decal and digital license plate implementation was due to the fact multiple government agencies are involved in the approval process.

I'm still on the fence in getting one also, but after the OP's experience...I'm concerned..

Recently I noticed the price drop it is now down to $500 and I guess another $200-300 for installation. Only question is how is the build quality has it improved or gotten worst with the price drop LOL.

I really want to get it just for the Cool factor LOL anyhow but at the same time I am worried about the installation in terms of is it safe to do so .. Or would tesla software warn of some weird voltage draw.. and also how cleanly the installer usually install those..

Yeah, I am also in CA I wish this was also done in front But I think only reason they probably do not do is because it will get really hard beating from the small rocks on the bayarea roads and dont know how long the screen will last..

So kind of like findmyiPhone - Step 1 after theft = turn off phone.

I hope apple in future can use serial number of individual parts to activate withing the OS. So that way if even someone say steal an iPhone for parts.. All those parts can be rendered useless by blacklisting those serial number of individual parts..

So take say for screen and install it on the other iPhone and screen should not work because it is blacklisted.

I hope apple in future can use serial number of individual parts to activate withing the OS. So that way if even someone say steal an iPhone for parts.. All those parts can be rendered useless by blacklisting those serial number of individual parts..

So take say for screen and install it on the other iPhone and screen should not work because it is blacklisted.

Step 2 after theft = jailbreak the iPhone

(or more likely sell then JB becomes Step 3.)

At least that’s what NYPD informed me after mine was stolen.

This digital license plate actually seems like it will be a good idea at some point, they accomplish several things through it - but it’s not baked yet. Plus the cost seems prohibitively high ATM.

I really want to get it just for the Cool factor LOL anyhow but at the same time I am worried about the installation in terms of is it safe to do so .. Or would tesla software warn of some weird voltage draw.. and also how cleanly the installer usually install those..

The one Cadillac dealership near me, who no longer sells and installs the Digital License plate, used to have an information video online. They showed the install process of drilling a hole in the trunk lid area behind the license plate to pass wires through and then tapping into one of the wiring harnesses in the trunk lid. The video showed the digital license plate install on a Tesla Model S.

They also mentioned in the future, companies could pay the car owner to display advertisements on the digital license plate when the car was parked.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I LOVE tech toys but paying more for a license plate than an iPhone????:eek: Don't worry I didn't need your "not recommended" to keep me from buying. :D

Today I went to the DMV today and spent $60 on an EV tag (yearly subscription but do get to use HOV lanes) and felt like I was getting ripped off. Your post has changed my mind on that.;)

View attachment 420693

Now why can't they have a nice HOV plate here in Kalifornication in lieu of the stickers that f-up your paint and look gaudy.

Reactions: MXWing and erik_k
Well in California they went the sticker route for HOV lane use (cheaper than printing a different kind of license plate for alternative fuel vehicles due to the volume of cars in California). As auto technology has improved they've been able to invalidate stickers for less efficient vehicles with not as stringent air quality and make room in the HOV lanes for cleaner more efficient ones. They sure could have designed something nicer to put on your car IMO. They also want the police to see your lane usage privileges from different angles of the car as they patrol the lanes of traffic so displaying something on the rear and/or front doesn't cut it. Big fines if you are found in the HOV lanes illegally, so revenue source as well.

It won't matter soon as they are building out Pay-to-Use Timed express lanes and try to get people switched over to a transponder. So you could effectively be tracked by that or your digital plate in the future.
I wish the bolded was entirely true. However my 2014 MS 85 all-electric vehicle has a white carpool sticker that got invalidated on Jan 1st of this year, while someone who buys a 2019 Mitsubishi Outlander plug in, which gets about 22 miles all-electric before it switches to gas and is clearly a dirtier, less efficient vehicle than mine, gets a completely valid carpool lane sticker that doesn't expire until 2023.

I honestly can not see why I would want to pay one cent for such a thing! It brings no value to me and is only of value to the state in the small savings on tags... I'll happily stick with my Amateur Radio plate!

I purchased a Digital License plate from Reviver in July 2018 for a total cost of $1150 including installation and a 3 year service subscription. 9 months later, the plate screen became detached from the license plate frame making it not road worthy. On April 24th I returned the faulty plate to the Reviver offices in Foster City, CA and in May 2019 I registered for a "free" RPlate upgrade. As of this date not only have I not received a replacement for the defective plate, I was charged $6.99 for their monthly service for a plate that isn't even on my car and despite the fact that I purchased the 3 year service plan.

This entire experience has been a FIASCO from beginning to end. I would not recommend purchasing this product.View attachment 420692

This is not a joke; you actually bought this?

This may shock some people who aren't familiar with California vehicle registration/license fees. But went to the State's calculator (lots of factors depending where exactly you live and type of vehicle, etc) and I plugged in a new 2018 electric vehicle for Santa Clara County (no city) and this is what it would run.

Current Registration: 55.00
Current California Highway Patrol: 25.00
Current Vehicle License Fee: 404.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
Current Abandoned Vehicle Fee: 1.00
Current Air Quality Management District: 6.00
Current County Transportation Projects Fee: 10.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: 3.00
Current Vehicle Theft/DUI 2: 2.00
Current Transportation Improvement Fee: 175.00
Use/Sales Tax: 5,580.00
Reflectorized License Plate Fee: 1.00
Total Registration Fees: $684.00

This may shock those of you in California but there are many states that charge way more than California to register a car. In Colorado, we have to pay $$$$ for the first five years before the registration really drops. The initial registration for a new Model S 100D can cost over $2000 and over the next few years, it gradually decreases based on a set formula. This year, being the 3rd registration year, I only have to pay ~$1400.

I'm probably guaranteeing I'll get a ticket if I say this, but yesterday we sold our 1991 Twin Turbo Nissan 300ZX. We drove that car for 28 years with no front plate and no tickets. We drove a BMW 335i for 12 years with no front plate and no ticket. The buyer didn't care that we couldn't find the front plate. I took the MS picture in Fremont when we picked up the car, and by the end of the day, that "ZERO" paper and bracket were gone. So far so good. Teslas are very popular here, and most don't have a front plate.

hell with that plate, and i saw an audi with one the other day in newport beach... and I was like wtf is that.. anyways, in respects to california HOV stickers.. those ungodly ugly horrific bold stickers on the bumpers of EVs kill my soul each time I see it. I have them... but they are in my glovebox for safe keeping in the event i REALLY need them... but surely there has to be a better way because it's super super super ugly to have 4-5 bright PURPLE stickers on my black M3