TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Yearly Maintenance + Lease Option + Selling Used

Discussion in 'Model S' started by firealarm, Jul 8, 2012.

1. firealarm

firealarm Member

I was at one of the Tesla showrooms and asked about the yearly maintenance. I was told it was going to be $600/year. I remember reading somewhere that it was included in the first 4 years or 50K. Does anyone have any confirmation of what the exact cost is?

I also asked about leasing and was told that it should be announced this year and would be done by Tesla. Any other information on this?

Lastly, based on the Tesla Roadster, in 5 or 6 years, what percentage of the price would you think the car would be worth? 30/40/50? My hope would be 40. Any guesstimates on this?

Thanks.

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I'll believe it when I see it in print.

If it is $600 per visit, I would love to think it would be included in the warranty, but I doubt it.

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

At $600 per year that wipes out any supposed advantage over an ICE vehicle. I really hope this is wrong!

4. Zorba

Zorba Member

For my Audi I pay €350 (every 30 000km/2 years), I'd hate to pay much more for the Model S...

5. kevincwelch

#5 kevincwelch, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    Not in my opinion.

The advantage that this car has over an ICE is that there are "zero" emissions.

Unless you are in the market to buy an $85,000 ICE, only then is there a financial incentive to buy the Tesla.

But you can look at it this way: If the average person drives 12,000 miles per year, you will probably change your oil four times. I typically spend about $40 per oil change. That is $160 per year. Currently I fill up my tank every three weeks. That is $65 per visit. That comes to about $1100 per year. In total that comes close to $1300 per year. Now since I have a Honda, I haven't had a dime of maintenance costs in five years, except for a battery.

If I had similar luck with my Tesla, I will be spending less than half the amount every year to maintain my tesla.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

6. Zorba

Zorba Member

If you are counting fuel you should count electricity as well.
    And 4 oil changes per year? My car didn't get that many oil changes in its 4 year on earth.

But maybe American cars use much more oil ;)

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I thought most ICEs only require oil changes about every 10,000 miles now so maybe once or twice a year.

8. kevincwelch

I do it every three months.

Either way, take out the oil changes. Still an advantage.

I bet the increase in electricity still offsets the cost of owning an ICE. Even if it is close, we arrive at my original retort. :D

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

9. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I have to agree with Zorba. I have also tried to figure out the cost advantage of a Model S versus a comparable ICE. At least here in Europe it is hard to see a financial advantage. Ok, zero emissions on the vehicle itself is great, but the electricity is produced mainly by burning coal, gas, oil and by using nuclear fuel - which isn't a very convincing concept.

Anyway, the costs seem quite high - if the 600$ (insert equivalent in EUR) per year turn out to be true.
    Take electricity: we pay around 0.25 EUR per Kilowatt, and all the German electricity suppliers have hinted that prices are about to climb much higher in the next few years due to the costs of the energy change to renewables that is supposed to be happening in the near future.

Now, take an 85kWh battery pack: times 0.25 EUR equates to 21.25 EUR per 300 miles or 7.1 EUR per 100 miles
    Compare that to 1.50 EUR per liter Diesel: times 50 liters (which gets me 525 miles) equates to 75 EUR per 525 miles or 14.3 EUR per 100 miles

In other words, at current electricity prices I would pay about twice as much for my current ICE in terms of "fuel" costs.

Insurance premiums and taxes are unknowns at the moment, but at least as far as insurances are concerned, these (at least here) tend to have an equation that goes: the more expensive the car, the higher the insurance premium. That doesn't bode well for the Model S.

Lastly, the service charge. I don't drive a lot, 10,000 miles per year at most, and I have to have a full service (including oil change) about once every three years at around 350 to 400 EUR. Now if the 600 $ (currently around 480 EUR) were correct, that would mean 1,440 EUR for the Model S versus 400 EUR max for my ICE.

Final equation:
    10,000 miles a year means 2,130 EUR electricity costs vs. 4,290 EUR Diesel => advantage Model S 2,160 EUR
    service charge 1,440 EUR for three years vs. 400 EUR => advantage ICE 1,040 EUR
    All in all, the Model S wins by 1,120 EUR but that excludes the comparison in terms of taxes and insurance, which might turn the tide towards an ICE. And it means that for every full charge I would get a full 300 miles which is also kind of an unknown at the moment.

I would still opt for the Model S because I love the idea of not having to visit a gas station ever again. All I'm saying is I don't expect to save any money in the process.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Buy the Model S because of the car, its powertrain, and the fact you never see a gas station. You'll likely save good money in the process but probably don't plan on saving thousands of dollars a year and use that as your primary justification for buying the car.

11. Zorba

Zorba Member

You are absolutely right, dsm363. But I still find it pity that maintenance would be more expensive when the job is so much easier :)

12. Odd that Tesla would charge the same amount for maintenance on the roadster as they would on the Model S. The Roadster actually requires a fairly involved process of removing the PEM and blowing out the fans, where as for the Model S, I would assume most of the "maintenance" would be inspections and firmware updates. Hopefully Tesla does not make the maintenance required reminder as annoying and ostentatious as it is on the roadster (on the model s).

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yes, the "money saved on oil changes and maintenance" has been touted officially by Tesla several times before as a key differentiator from ICEs all other factors apart.

We all knew that an annual maintenance visit was on the cards (even for those who are far away from a Tesla service center and likely have to pay ranger fees for that) but, the hope was that it was going to be less than the Roadster's $600 given that the Model S has wider adoption and may indeed not need 'intrusive' service.

My recent ICEs (BMW, Mini), that have indeed required only one oil change visit per year if driven less than ~14,000 miles, have cost much less than $600 in annual maintenance even when taken to dealership service centers.

14. kevincwelch

Like I said, buy it for its ecological impact (or lack thereof).

15. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

My RAV4-EV has needed a shock absorber, a strut, three wheel bearings, a capacitor and a light bulb in 10 years. What in the world could possibly justify $600/yr? I would hope that the Roadster's complex maintenance described above would be a "lesson learned" that would not apply to Model S, so I'm hoping for a lower annual cost.

16. kevincwelch

Just another thing that Tesla needs to specify in writing. Production time is nigh, so I would like to see this information released ASAP. Additionally, it would be an even greater injury if somehow the battery warranty is tied to this yearly maintenance.

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Show me any auto-manufacturers warranty that isn't tied to maintenance. Failure to maintain is usually an exclusion clause.

18. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I think it is an issue that is worthy of bombarding Tesla reps with emails about. I've made it clear I'm not interested in having an annual checkup where I have to pay Ranger fees. They can jolly well check on my car wirelessly. Aren't there laws that state a company cannot void warranty based on where one does regular maintenance? It is to keep dealerships from forcing you to go with their service departments instead of getting cheaper and better oil changes/tire rotations & repair. I realize this is slightly different in that there aren't independent Tesla service engineers anywhere, but for those of us that are far away from a Tesla store due to no fault of our own (we just live in cheap and ignorant populations) it is crazy to add the Ranger fees on top of what is forced on us. [/rant]

19. Only Tesla Service can "maintain" a Tesla...There are thousands of independent auto shops that can do oil/filter etc changes for ANY car. Tesla can set any price they want and consumers are forced to pay it, to preserve their warranty. Tesla maintenance is a monopoly. Tesla really needs to include maintenance in the price of the Model S....It is kinda lame to buy a car then have to pay 600 or whatever a year to have it maintained by Tesla....Where is the maintenance advantage that Tesla has touted for the past 4 years? I can understand with the Roadster (air cooled pem) but not with the Model S.

20. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF –> '13 RAV4 EV

What's this talk of $600/year maintenance for an electric car?! That sounds nuts. On my LEAF, it's essentialy a battery check, brake fluid and tire rotation for under $100. (And I don't even pay that because I bought a cheaper prepaid plan.) My old, under $40K Audi A3 had some 4-5 years of free maintenance, though I understand Audi no longer offers that. And I don't think I pay $600/year to maintain my gas RAV4 even through Toyota dealerships, of course it mostly just sits in the garage now that I have the LEAF.