Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow 110 Charging Cable Repair Possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just a plug. Put whatever you want on it.

I moved the GFI thing onto another cable as an extension cord, for use when I either need the distance, or if the outlet is grounding-suspect. The yellow cable, by itself, has a regular plug on it so I don't get stranded with a flaky GFI situation. (I know, GFI outlet chaining is not supposed to be a problem, but if I'm using the granny cable, I'm probably not in a "normal" situation.)

Two years ago, I was able to get a replacement GFI plug from the OEM, North Shore Safety, Ltd. for about $ 25.

Part number is PGFP-A11 (which you should be able to read off your flaky charger themselves). I think when I spoke to North Shore, they told me the product is estimated to have a 5 year service life, so make sense that Roadster owners (who I'd presume handle everything related to their Roadster with kid gloves) get about double the expected service life before they have issues.

NSSLTD.COM
[email protected]

The charging port connector (I am not an engineer) seems to be heavily over designed, so hopefully we won't have any issues for many decades to come with it, and if we do at that point, it would be something trivial to obtain with a 3D printer in the future.

While is reassuring that many people have had good results on using a generic GFI plug, I think their is some benefit in going OEM, especially, since the cost is pretty low. Their could be some nuisance difference, and given how small the Roadster community is, it could make it easier to trouble shoot future problems. Even if the generic GFI plug is superior to the OEM, the fact that most Roadster owners (on TMC or not) will have the charging cable with the OEM GFI plug, it is worth the trouble to order it from North Shore rather than get it at Home Depot.

Last edited:
Reactions: candersoh
Two years ago, I was able to get a replacement GFI plug from the OEM, North Shore Safety, Ltd. for about $ 25.

Part number is PGFP-A11 (which you should be able to read off your flaky charger themselves). I think when I spoke to North Shore, they told me the product is estimated to have a 5 year service life, so make sense that Roadster owners (who I'd presume handle everything related to their Roadster with kid gloves) get about double the expected service life before they have issues.

NSSLTD.COM
[email protected]

The charging port connector (I am not an engineer) seems to be heavily over designed, so hopefully it will we won't have any issues for many decades to come, and by then, it would be something that would be trivial to obtain with a 3D printer in the future.
thanks for that...here's a link.
15 Amp Plug GFCI

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
Anyone know the level of difficulty to reaffix the Amphemol connector to the cable? Mine has quite a bit of "play" and I suspect something's come loose.

The level of difficulty is somewhat subjective. I would describe it as mildly difficult. It helps to know a few things about how it goes together. The wires are crimped into the contacts which are difficult to remove (except for Ground) so don't count on being able to re-attach the wires.

Where is the "play" in your connector?

• Helpful
Reactions: Roadster
While is reassuring that many people have had good results on using a generic GFI plug, I think their is some benefit in going OEM, especially, since the cost is pretty low. Their could be some nuisance difference, and given how small the Roadster community is, it could make it easier to trouble shoot future problems. Even if the generic GFI plug is superior to the OEM, the fact that most Roadster owners (on TMC or not) will have the charging cable with the OEM GFI plug, it is worth the trouble to order it from North Shore rather than get it at Home Depot.

The OEM GFI plug is NOT the same as a generic one, and it's NOT the same as the unit linked above from the same manufacturer. The OEM GFI is set to trip at 20 mA. The unit that candersoh linked will trip at 4 - 6 mA which is too sensitive for reliable use with a Roadster. It may work some of the time but it will be very unreliable.

Most people replace the GFCI plug with a regular non-GFI plug. If you insist on replacing it with another GFCI, then call North Shore Safety and ask for the original plug they made for charging a Roadster.

The OEM GFI plug is NOT the same as a generic one, and it's NOT the same as the unit linked above from the same manufacturer. The OEM GFI is set to trip at 20 mA. The unit that candersoh linked will trip at 4 - 6 mA which is too sensitive for reliable use with a Roadster. It may work some of the time but it will be very unreliable.

Most people replace the GFCI plug with a regular non-GFI plug. If you insist on replacing it with another GFCI, then call North Shore Safety and ask for the original plug they made for charging a Roadster.
thanks Henry! that's an important point. I have reached out to North Shore and I'm awaiting a response!

Thx Henry. I'm game for attempting to fix things but if anyone has photos of the connections, it would be great to see them. The "play" is where the cable passes through to the plastic cinch collar. Everything appears to be snugged in tightly but the cable easily rotates almost 180 deg :eek: with no effort. It was like this when I received it and I suspect one or more of the wires have come loose from their crimped connections over time which is causing the charging to be spotty.

Thx Henry. I'm game for attempting to fix things but if anyone has photos of the connections, it would be great to see them. The "play" is where the cable passes through to the plastic cinch collar. Everything appears to be snugged in tightly but the cable easily rotates almost 180 deg :eek: with no effort. It was like this when I received it and I suspect one or more of the wires have come loose from their crimped connections over time which is causing the charging to be spotty.

or you can send your multiple yellow chargers to gruber and fix it for you.

Reactions: Bunnak
@jason.tv probably not worth the cost/effort to ship an SMC for repairs but I'll certainly try to save the first one and keep the replacement in the trunk.

@DeedWest thx for help last night. I just checked and mine is cinched down tightly and still has that crazy amount of play you saw in the video. It's on there much tighter than the two you showed me so I'll need to try loosening mine with a couple adjustable wrenches.

@hcsharp would love to see an example of the crimping technique you mentioned. Will PM you.

@TEG pls feel free to relocate posts #601-605 to this thread on SMC repairs thx. [DONE]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what I did. It was two years ago, so memory is a bit fuzzy, but I do not believe they had exact GFCI plug on the website, but they were able to sell me an exact replacement. I seem to recall that (indirectly) was in contact with a person at North Shore that recalled supplying the GFCI plug for the Roadster program.

For those of you brave and industrious enough to take on the disassembly and repair of the Amphenol end of the SMC, here's a compilation of information to illustrate what's involved. Special thx to @hcsharp and @slcasner for the addl. recon here! Member @dwegmull (inactive since 2014) should also be credited for the documentation and photos:

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

Taking apart a Roadster charging plug

Opening a Tesla Roadster plug - Google Docs

MC120 Tear Down

IMAG0203.jpg
IMAG0204.jpg
IMAG0205.jpg
IMAG0206.jpg