Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow/amber rear turn indicators?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does that even make sense?
See my post here, for how I got that perspective:

The premium cars moved away from amber tinted turn signals first, while the regular cars followed later. So I always had the impression that amber tinted turn signals are a sign of a cheaper older car. Now you can go look at a modern car and practically none of them have an amber tinted turn signal (at most they have a clear signal with an amber bulb).

This is however, speaking only to the US market. I don't know about the perspective of the European market.

I tend to disagree somewhat with the above. I had the observation that US upscale brands (like Cadillac for instance) tend to push red blinkers, but I find plenty of examples of high end European and Asian vehicles which continue to use amber blinkers.

Also, I can find plenty of examples of low end makes (including older ones) that have used red blinkers in the USA for years. Personally, I don't associate red blinkers with luxury. On the contrary, I associate them with cheapness.

See my post here, for how I got that perspective:

The premium cars moved away from amber tinted turn signals first, while the regular cars followed later. So I always had the impression that amber tinted turn signals are a sign of a cheaper older car. Now you can go look at a modern car and practically none of them have an amber tinted turn signal (at most they have a clear signal with an amber bulb).

This is however, speaking only to the US market. I don't know about the perspective of the European market.

An amber light with clear glass is an amber light, as far as this discussion is concerned the difference is meaningless since they both look yellow when the turn signal is on. I haven't noticed a move from amber turn signals to red turn signals, just a move from bulbs and colored glass to colored LEDs. I've always felt most high end cars have amber turn signals and cheap American cars have red turn signals.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I think I am not alone in my opinion.

Why do the majority of American cars have red indicator/signal lights as opposed to orange like European/Asian cars etc.? • r/answers
...American car manufacturers prefer red... ...I would guess it's just to save money on wiring, bulbs, and lenses...
...It's always been my assumption that the nicer, higher package models have the amber turn signals due to the added cost of a more lights and wiring. Cheaper cars just have the brake light flash as the turn signal. But this is just my loose association I've made with cars I've owned. Likely there is no rhyme or reason, and it's just a personal aesthetic thing by the designers...

Why are there many red turn signals on cars in America?! (vehicle, red light) - Automotive -Sports cars, sedans, coupes, SUVs, trucks, motorcycles, tickets, dealers, repairs, gasoline, drivers... - City-Data Forum
...Why are there many cars that have red lights on turn signals here in the USA? Well, in Europe all cars have yellow turn signals, and never red.
Red is hard too know because it's same color as the back lights. Yellow is easier too see. I would never ever buy a car with red turn signals

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Americ...linking-rear-brake-lights-for-turn-indicators
...Older US cars had only 1 bulb one each side for tail lights. The bulb had 2 elements in it. The dimmer element was the tail light and was on with the headlights. The brighter element was a combination brake light and turn signal. When the brakes were applied both bright tail lights came on. When the turn signal was on one of the brighter elements flashed while the other brake light was steady if the brakes were on. Amber turn signal lamps with multiple bulbs are more recent...

Amber Rear Turn Signals Are Safer Than Red, But Few Use Them

I would also guess/assume that Tesla has internally already had this debate among engineering/design and already made up their mind for whatever reason.

Well, I guess it gives the impression of Model 3 being more of an "American" car, which is something that Tesla may want to do these days.

I prefer the European/Asian designs, and don't really shop for Ford(Lincoln)/GM(Cadillac) products.

Last edited:
For people not willing to read the link - in the US we can't have turn signals like that, because each individual "element" must be a minimum of 2200mm^2. Each section that lights up individually must have that minimum size. So the above turn signal on the Lexus doesn't qualify, since each light in the small strip of lights along the bottom is too small.
The Mustangs get away with it because each element is individually large enough:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-the-signal-taillights-of-American-cars-in-red-rather-than-orange
main-qimg-115a8a6de68ba2133818a959e1414968

An amber light with clear glass is an amber light, as far as this discussion is concerned the difference is meaningless since they both look yellow when the turn signal is on. I haven't noticed a move from amber turn signals to red turn signals, just a move from bulbs and colored glass to colored LEDs. I've always felt most high end cars have amber turn signals and cheap American cars have red turn signals.
We are talking about something different then. I only care how it looks when the signal is off, given that is when it is visible to me. It's also the state that the car typically is. It seems me be there is a clear trend against amber tinted taillights. I know people have even done "amber delete" modifications.

I don't really care what color it is when it is on, since I can't see it anyways.

We are talking about something different then. I only care how it looks when the signal is off, given that is when it is visible to me. It's also the state that the car typically is. It seems me be there is a clear trend against amber tinted taillights. I know people have even done "amber delete" modifications.

I don't really care what color it is when it is on, since I can't see it anyways.

This thread is about what the turn indicator looks like when you are turning.

This thread is about what the turn indicator looks like when you are turning.
I don't think another thread is worthwhile on this issue. My post was actually carved out of another and moved to this thread, and I was responding in context to that.

Also, the study done on the 5.3% safety improvement of amber bulbs was done before LEDs became common, and also when a significant amount of cars still used amber tinted signals (as opposed to clear signals with amber bulb).

There are different designs for amber signals:
1) Dedicated amber tinted signal (like the style I am talking about, and still required in some countries).
2) Dedicated clear signal with amber bulb/leds
3) Shared clear signal (red when braking, amber when turning)
4) Dynamic sequential signals (similar to the one above where it flashes in a sequence in the direction of turning)

For Model 3, the only possible option it appears is #3. It's unclear much of a safety improvement this option would be versus one that just flashes red when turning.

For people not willing to read the link - in the US we can't have turn signals like that, because each individual "element" must be a minimum of 2200mm^2. Each section that lights up individually must have that minimum size. So the above turn signal on the Lexus doesn't qualify, since each light in the small strip of lights along the bottom is too small.

I don't think that's true as I am seeing newer Audi's with sequential rear turn signal, and its individual element is even smaller than the Lexus.

Also, the study done on the 5.3% safety improvement of amber bulbs was done before LEDs became common, and also when a significant amount of cars still used amber tinted signals (as opposed to clear signals with amber bulb).

It's unclear much of a safety improvement this option would be versus one that just flashes red when turning.

More study may be needed, but I know from my own perception that amber turn signals register more strongly and quickly than red ones.

Clear signals with amber bulbs are no less visible IMO than amber lens covers.

I don't think that's true as I am seeing newer Audi's with sequential rear turn signal, and its individual element is even smaller than the Lexus.

I think it was mentioned here that it appears a way around that is to make sure that multiple of the smaller LEDs are always on at the same time.

So instead of
.....o
....o.
...o..
..o...
.o....
o.....

you have
...ooo
..ooo.
.ooo..
ooo...

Also from the video I posted above, it looks like they can have one big blinker section (to meet the requirement) and an animated other segment going at the same time.

Reactions: Zaphod
As I understand it, it saves money to have one global design... A "world car" with the same hardware for all markets.
So, I am surprised that they went with red to start in North America as they will have to change it when they start selling model 3 in other markets.

I heard that Model X went with amber/yellow blinkers to keep it consistent with what is required in other global markets.

I think Tesla is proud of the fact that they are making "world cars" with the same design for everyone and they are accepted / appreciated all over.
Many other manufacturers resort to having different stylists in different local markets, trying to make more localized designs that appeal to regional tastes.

I am sure it will be all LED... Just a question if they use red or yellow LEDs for blinkers.

The Model X appears to have "dual mode" LEDs (can light up red for braking or yellow for turn signalling.)

I wonder if all Model 3 will have dual mode LEDs, or if they only do that for outside of North America (e.g.: Europe).
If they all have dual-mode, then they could just pick which flash type they want in software.

If the RC red indicators are single-mode, then they are North America cars only, and they will have to do something different for overseas cars.