Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow border fix UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
A long rambling story not just about the above..
I knew they were expecting the gear for this fix 'cos they told me 2 mths ago when my S went in for the half-shaft upgrade. I asked to be put on the list but after a month of waiting nowt happened.

To save trying to ring Digbeth I made a service appt 'for the yellow screen fix when available' and made it for the first free appt in an 11.30 slot 'cos it's a 2-3 hr drive from here depending on traffic.

I really expected a phone call and oppotunity to discuss times etc but no, I got a message changing the slot to 9.15. Ho-hum rather then mess about I let that ride and duly turned up - after setting my alarm for 5am for brekky and ablutions.
I got there in just 3 hrs - the last hour of course was the last few miles of Birmingham rush hour....9.05am

The staff at Digbeth are lovely - a sweet bunch of receptionists and the mechanics I've met are all bright friendly chappies just constrained by silly systems so no complaints about them at all.

Having rocked up knowing the fix is a 3hr job I'd come prepared with snacks and entertainment. I was offered a courtesy car but that seemed daft with a 5 hr journey home and back but after sitting watching movies for an hour plus and my car still parked in the yard I made enquiries... it turned out they already had someone else plugged into the only fix machine and unknown timescales. So I ended up with the loaner. Simple call access and I could have arranged to turn up later and preferably at a time when they could get mine plugged in and done.

Loaner cars from Tesla can be fun. This is my second one - both have been pre-refresh 85D's with odd faults. This one had a mike button that needed pressing top left to actually get a contact and an interesting habit of suddenly failing to display one or other lane line when on well marked roads and naturally deciding to wander around with what it thought was there. I thought at first it was being really clever on the motorway when it gave some lorries a wide berth and a lot less clever when it tried to wipe the dust off itself on the next one - but manually driving no problem.

When I dropped mine off they did the usual walk around and scrawled 'too dirty to assess' on the paperwork.. which was fair enough. It'd been two weeks since it's last wash and buff and Welsh back-roads to my place are very Welsh. I also asked them to pop a couple of PSI into me rear tyre 'cos I knew it had a tiny leak despite the last puncture repair.

I got my car back today and again to be fair the screen fix is bloody good. I can just about see where the problems were but only with imagination. Tesla had also advised a new tyre for a mere £235 (or was it £285 they said?) but I passed on that and said I'd get local guys to look at it. Agian this is likely 'da rulz' 'cos mechanic seemed more in my corner when we chatted about the pinhole. Last thorn hole local garage did cost me £12 and the tyres only have 12K on them.

They had also done a lovely job of washing and inside cleaning - car was pristine- makes ya want to pop by every week if it wasn't quite so far 'cos it would have taken this geriatric a good couple of hours to have tarted it up that well - even vacuumed the boot out...

Reactions: Roy W.
A long rambling story not just about the above..
I knew they were expecting the gear for this fix 'cos they told me 2 mths ago when my S went in for the half-shaft upgrade. I asked to be put on the list but after a month of waiting nowt happened.

To save trying to ring Digbeth I made a service appt 'for the yellow screen fix when available' and made it for the first free appt in an 11.30 slot 'cos it's a 2-3 hr drive from here depending on traffic.

I really expected a phone call and oppotunity to discuss times etc but no, I got a message changing the slot to 9.15. Ho-hum rather then mess about I let that ride and duly turned up - after setting my alarm for 5am for brekky and ablutions.
I got there in just 3 hrs - the last hour of course was the last few miles of Birmingham rush hour....9.05am

The staff at Digbeth are lovely - a sweet bunch of receptionists and the mechanics I've met are all bright friendly chappies just constrained by silly systems so no complaints about them at all.

Having rocked up knowing the fix is a 3hr job I'd come prepared with snacks and entertainment. I was offered a courtesy car but that seemed daft with a 5 hr journey home and back but after sitting watching movies for an hour plus and my car still parked in the yard I made enquiries... it turned out they already had someone else plugged into the only fix machine and unknown timescales. So I ended up with the loaner. Simple call access and I could have arranged to turn up later and preferably at a time when they could get mine plugged in and done.

Loaner cars from Tesla can be fun. This is my second one - both have been pre-refresh 85D's with odd faults. This one had a mike button that needed pressing top left to actually get a contact and an interesting habit of suddenly failing to display one or other lane line when on well marked roads and naturally deciding to wander around with what it thought was there. I thought at first it was being really clever on the motorway when it gave some lorries a wide berth and a lot less clever when it tried to wipe the dust off itself on the next one - but manually driving no problem.

When I dropped mine off they did the usual walk around and scrawled 'too dirty to assess' on the paperwork.. which was fair enough. It'd been two weeks since it's last wash and buff and Welsh back-roads to my place are very Welsh. I also asked them to pop a couple of PSI into me rear tyre 'cos I knew it had a tiny leak despite the last puncture repair.

I got my car back today and again to be fair the screen fix is bloody good. I can just about see where the problems were but only with imagination. Tesla had also advised a new tyre for a mere £235 (or was it £285 they said?) but I passed on that and said I'd get local guys to look at it. Agian this is likely 'da rulz' 'cos mechanic seemed more in my corner when we chatted about the pinhole. Last thorn hole local garage did cost me £12 and the tyres only have 12K on them.

They had also done a lovely job of washing and inside cleaning - car was pristine- makes ya want to pop by every week if it wasn't quite so far 'cos it would have taken this geriatric a good couple of hours to have tarted it up that well - even vacuumed the boot out...
When my M3 went into Stockport last week it went in dirty and came out dirty. In fact the inside was dirtier than when I dropped it off :rolleyes: