Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yellow border - need advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I call Tesla for a replacement, will they put a new MCU2 unit (I'm willing to pay the price difference) or will they just swap the screen and leave my old MCU1?

It’s a screen swap, that’s it. And they won’t even do that for you right now because they’re waiting on a revised part that will be released “this summer”.

So you’ve really got no choice but to wait a bit. Maybe you’ll wait long enough to hear info about the long-promised MCU2 upgrade path but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. It’s a significant change that involves not only a different MCU but different instrument cluster as well.

Call to report it so the concern is on file. Better, email with a photo. They have new screens in the works so they are avoiding replacing anything right now.

I have not found any reference to replacing the entire MCU being replaced. When mine was replaced a while back it was screen only.

What everyone else has said.

I was told they will have a permanent solution later this year so you should just wait for that.

Might not hurt to report now and be on the queue so they will contact you when the part is available.

I have not found any reference to replacing the entire MCU being replaced.

Mine was done about a year ago and they did replace the entire MCU, but that was due to parts availability, not necessity. At first they ordered just the screen but after waiting 6 weeks for one to materialize from perpetual backorder they just replaced the entire thing.

Might not hurt to report now and be on the queue so they will contact you when the part is available.
FWIW, my SC is not maintaining a queue or list of who has called. I asked them to let me know when the part was in and they declined. Seems simple and cheap to do as well in the interest of customer service. They just said to call back this summer. But there is value in having that email dialog though.

Don’t wait!!! call to schedule an appointment. They’ll tell you they CANT do it yet because a fix is coming end of summer...but you’re put on the waiting list, and they replace the screens in order of when you were added to the list. If you wait, you’ll just delay it.
They add a note to your file which puts you in the queue

Thank you everyone for your informative posts.
I've just reported it to my SC, as expected they told me there is no part available for replacement, and to call them back in July.

The yellow discolouration is just barely visible, and I noticed it only because someone else was reporting it here on the forum. Holding for a few months is not a problem.

My Dec ‘17 S75D has started showing the yellow boarder too. It’s pretty faint. I will mention it when I go in for 25k mile service in a few weeks.

Additionally, a tech savvy buddy told me to run the screen in Night Mode for a few weeks. He said it helped his 2015 Model S screen yellow edges.

Mine is super pronounced. The tech said it was one of the worst he'd seen (that was back in November). Its kept getting worse. I am having some issues seeing the edges of the screen (which is unfortunate). Night mode provides a different discoloration but it is less noticeable.

Definitely interested in a fix and a shame they refuse to fix it in the interim even when its really bad.

Mine is super pronounced. The tech said it was one of the worst he'd seen (that was back in November). Its kept getting worse. I am having some issues seeing the edges of the screen (which is unfortunate). Night mode provides a different discoloration but it is less noticeable.

Definitely interested in a fix and a shame they refuse to fix it in the interim even when its really bad.
I would have gladly waited if I had known a new screen was coming out. Mine will be out of warranty before it yellows again...

I would have gladly waited if I had known a new screen was coming out. Mine will be out of warranty before it yellows again...

Except its clearly defective. They can't give substandard parts known to have a defect and not replace it even out of warranty. Tesla should stick this on their supplier and so they aren't harmed by replacing out defective screens.

• Funny
Reactions: Mark_T
So now my 4 month old Model S is starting to show this problem. Is it true that service centers are no longer replacing these and saying it'll be addressed in a firmware update?? (that's ridiculous. I can see the defect when the sun hits the screen, its in the layer above the active LCD layer... This isn't even about pixels, it's about the adhesive layer above the screen between the glass and the screen...)

Last edited: