Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

yellow border - need advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a mobile service yesterday regarding door alignment, and had also indicated a yellowing screen. The techs said they are not replacing the screens but have now found a 'light' process for reversing the yellowing. It is still in development but they expect the be issuing a mobile device to reverse the yellowing without replacement. We'll see.

I'd put it in the same category as any other appearance fault, unsightly changes in seat covering, paintwork trim etc.

No it doesn't affect safety or general function but that doesn't make it an acceptable change in the appearance of the vehicle.

I have scoured the internet searching for engineering or scholarly articles describing the use of UV* light to remediate yellowing of the liquid optically clear adhesive in any computer displays. I have found zero corroborating technical information. As a result in my opinion, I would rate this fix in the same category as the rumor of a software fix**. Either Tesla has made a breakthrough in LCD screen repairs or… well… fill in the blank ___________________.

If there are any material engineers or scientists out there in TMC, please chime in. I am not an expert in this field of engineering and would love for my opinion to be wrong.

*UV lights are used to cure (NOT CURE) some adhesives. This information and process has nothing to do with a cure for what ails our displays any more than a dentist using UV light to whiten teeth. These are completely different chemical processes then what would be needed to reverse the chemical process behind yellowing.

**The yellow bands are partially reflective. This makes any rumored software fix impossible.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I have scoured the internet searching for engineering or scholarly articles describing the use of UV* light to remediate yellowing of the liquid optically clear adhesive in any computer displays. I have found zero corroborating technical information. As a result in my opinion, I would rate this fix in the same category as the rumor of a software fix**. Either Tesla has made a breakthrough in LCD screen repairs or… well… fill in the blank ___________________.

If there are any material engineers or scientists out there in TMC, please chime in. I am not an expert in this field of engineering and would love for my opinion to be wrong.

*UV lights are used to cure (NOT CURE) some adhesives. This information and process has nothing to do with a cure for what ails our displays any more than a dentist using UV light to whiten teeth. These are completely different chemical processes then what would be needed to reverse the chemical process behind yellowing.

**The yellow bands are partially reflective. This makes any rumored software fix impossible.

This is what many of us are thinking as well...

I am patient for a solution but I want a permanent solution that is as good as a clear screen and this is what the warranty should provide.

I had a mobile service yesterday regarding door alignment, and had also indicated a yellowing screen. The techs said they are not replacing the screens but have now found a 'light' process for reversing the yellowing. It is still in development but they expect the be issuing a mobile device to reverse the yellowing without replacement. We'll see.
That is just a line that Tesla corporate is giving the techs. I'm sure if you ask "when", there is no answer, other than the famous Tesla "soon". It wouldn't be the first time Tesla gave BS lines to service about solution to problems being in development, which never came. The most common one is "there is fix, it will come in the next over the air update", which by the way they tried for the yellow screens too for a while, but since there have been many updates since they first starting the software BS, they needed to change the line, now to "magic light". It seems to be something they say to keep the customer off their back for however long the customer has patience for, and maybe will just get used to it, or maybe will sell that car and not care anymore, or maybe just run out the warranty so the customer has no more recourse. Yellowing screens are not a new problem, Tesla has been "working on a solution" for a couple of years at least. Maybe Elon was just ignoring it just swapping screens (Elon style, short term solutions rule), but now when reviewing every 10 pages of expenses, he caught a glimpse of the line total how much that has been costing them, and in famous Elon "instant-solution" fashion, said "no more free screen replacements" and then "let's just tell customers it's not covered by the warranty. Wow, I am a genius, look how much money I just saved Tesla!".

Reactions: am_dmd
That is just a line that Tesla corporate is giving the techs. I'm sure if you ask "when", there is no answer, other than the famous Tesla "soon". It wouldn't be the first time Tesla gave BS lines to service about solution to problems being in development, which never came. The most common one is "there is fix, it will come in the next over the air update", which by the way they tried for the yellow screens too for a while, but since there have been many updates since they first starting the software BS, they needed to change the line, now to "magic light". It seems to be something they say to keep the customer off their back for however long the customer has patience for, and maybe will just get used to it, or maybe will sell that car and not care anymore, or maybe just run out the warranty so the customer has no more recourse. Yellowing screens are not a new problem, Tesla has been "working on a solution" for a couple of years at least. Maybe Elon was just ignoring it just swapping screens (Elon style, short term solutions rule), but now when reviewing every 10 pages of expenses, he caught a glimpse of the line total how much that has been costing them, and in famous Elon "instant-solution" fashion, said "no more free screen replacements" and then "let's just tell customers it's not covered by the warranty. Wow, I am a genius, look how much money I just saved Tesla!".

It seems this time they really want to get this right and the good news is they are no longer telling people the BS about fixing this with a software update or some UV contraption that seems unlikely to solve the issue.

Let's hope we start seeing clear screen replacements (IMHO the only viable solution to the defective yellow screens) within the next couple of months.

It seems this time they really want to get this right and the good news is they are no longer telling people the BS about fixing this with a software update or some UV contraption that seems unlikely to solve the issue.
I'm sorry, did I miss something? We heard from members they are still telling people tales of magic firmware or healing UV light even this week. Did I miss an official announcement or something? What are you basing your "they really want to get this right" on? Them telling customers it's not covered under warranty and telling them they have a fix but at customer's expense? What am I missing here?

A firmware fix is impossible for a hardware issue that physically discolors the screen. Even f they mess with the colors with software, you still have a defective screen that should be replaced under warranty.

I know that. That’s why I told the technician that it doesn’t make any sense. He said there’s nothing he can do since they’ve been told to stop all replacements.

Let's hope we start seeing clear screen replacements (IMHO the only viable solution to the defective yellow screens) within the next couple of months.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but they just told me some BS about a firmware update to fix my screen and that they’ve been told to stop all replacement.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but they just told me some BS about a firmware update to fix my screen and that they’ve been told to stop all replacement.

The firmware update is confirmed BS unless they've figured out a way to reorganize atoms with software. :rolleyes:

This is a hardware issue to do with defective screens that should be replaced under warranty.

Went a second time tin ask when they can replace my screen. Appointment scheduled for 6/19. They texted me today saying: “Hi, we are reaching out from Tesla. We wanted to let you know that the touchscreen yellowing will be resolved in the near future. We have a tool that is being released across the US to correct this. Unfortunately, it has not yet reached the East Coast. That being said, once released they will contact you to removed the yellowing. If there are no other issues at this time I can go ahead and cancel your appointment, please let me know. Thank you!”

Went a second time tin ask when they can replace my screen. Appointment scheduled for 6/19. They texted me today saying: “Hi, we are reaching out from Tesla. We wanted to let you know that the touchscreen yellowing will be resolved in the near future. We have a tool that is being released across the US to correct this. Unfortunately, it has not yet reached the East Coast. That being said, once released they will contact you to removed the yellowing. If there are no other issues at this time I can go ahead and cancel your appointment, please let me know. Thank you!”

That response implies the tool is available now on the west coast - LOL.

The stories they tell...

• Funny
Reactions: Ken7 and am_dmd
A firmware fix is impossible for a hardware issue that physically discolors the screen. Even f they mess with the colors with software, you still have a defective screen that should be replaced under warranty.
The firmware can’t fix existing yellow the screens but can prevent it from happening as often for undamaged screens What is the firmware update? More aggressive cabin over heat protection. The yellowing screen is caused by exposure to heat.

Except its clearly defective. They can't give substandard parts known to have a defect and not replace it even out of warranty. Tesla should stick this on their supplier and so they aren't harmed by replacing out defective screens.
Teslas unfortunately at fault here. The screen they purchased is not rated to the temperatures it is experiencing. The entire problem is caused by high heat.