Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow border on screen... again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this on my 2018 MX. I made an appointment at the service center via the app. Got a text from TESLA telling me they are aware of the problem and working on a fix. I asked when it would be available and he replied he didn’t have a date. They then cancelled my appointment.

So I then made anouther one at the service Center via the app. I got anouther text message saying pretty much the same thing, I replied that the fix is to replace the screen, and that Cancelling the SC appointment is just unnaceptable. This time the apointment wasn’t cancelled.

I just came from the SC to make a revision. One of the things is the yellow borders (Model X June 2018). They just told me that previous fix didn't work because they were indeed the same screens and some customers had the same problem reproduced after changing the screen.

They told me that this summer we should have a permanent fix and that they will change it without cost.

So I then made anouther one at the service Center via the app. I got anouther text message saying pretty much the same thing, I replied that the fix is to replace the screen, and that Cancelling the SC appointment is just unnaceptable. This time the apointment wasn’t cancelled.

You understand that, if you're so insistent that they replace it now, you're going to have the same issue in the future, and that they're currently working on a screen that shouldn't have this problem. I don't get why wouldn't you just wait like the rest of us? It doesn't affect usability, it's purely aesthetic.

Reactions: dragonxt
You understand that, if you're so insistent that they replace it now, you're going to have the same issue in the future, and that they're currently working on a screen that shouldn't have this problem. I don't get why wouldn't you just wait like the rest of us? It doesn't affect usability, it's purely aesthetic.

So TESLA called me on the phone and said there will be a replacement part ready at the end of next month. Was much better to hear from a real person and not just a random text. In any case, I am fine with that.

I suppose the initial—somewhat gruff—text/appointment cancellation just rubbed me the wrong way.

• Informative
Reactions: dgatwood and NigelM
So TESLA called me on the phone and said there will be a replacement part ready at the end of next month. Was much better to hear from a real person and not just a random text. In any case, I am fine with that.

I suppose the initial—somewhat gruff—text/appointment cancellation just rubbed me the wrong way.

We will see if he is telling the truth.

Reactions: Davetp
I happened across this thread months ago and kept it in the back of my mind. Over the past two weeks it was like a switch was flipped and my late 2017 X started showing it very noticeable. I haven't contacted my SC about it but based on the experiences here I can hold off until they have a fix ready. It's not the most sightly issue but it's all part of the adventure of owning a Tesla to me. Plus, if there is any chance to get a faster MCU by waiting, I'm all for it. I see the way they respond in Model 3's and I would love to have a similar experience in mine.

Attachments

• Yellow MCU.jpg
    Yellow MCU.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 150
I happened across this thread months ago and kept it in the back of my mind. Over the past two weeks it was like a switch was flipped and my late 2017 X started showing it very noticeable. I haven't contacted my SC about it but based on the experiences here I can hold off until they have a fix ready. It's not the most sightly issue but it's all part of the adventure of owning a Tesla to me. Plus, if there is any chance to get a faster MCU by waiting, I'm all for it. I see the way they respond in Model 3's and I would love to have a similar experience in mine.

I agree. Why can’t I upgrade the damn thing yet? Elon promised that too, but that never came to fruition.

Looks like mine

I was informed that Tesla (at least my local Service Center) had a list and was keeping count. It would undoubtedly help Tesla to know how many cars need the unit replaced so I'd encourage you to at least make your SC aware.

That's a good idea, I just sent the below message to my local service center and will report back if I hear any news from them.

I was advised to send a quick note that my 2017 Model X ([VIN redacted]) is experiencing the issue where a yellow border had appeared around the perimeter of main screen. My understanding is that a fix is in the works and not available at this time but it's worth reporting for tracking and to potentially get on a waiting/contact list.

At this time it doesn't significantly impact any use of the vehicle so I have no immediate need for correction. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is any additional information I can provide or if there is another way I should report this.

I received a reply back from my service center today, much quicker than I had expected with how busy they generally are. There isn't any news in it but it confirms that it's not a bad idea to send a note directly to your service center.
Thank you, Brandon! I’ve got this noted.
Maddy | Service Manager

I also see that over on the Model S boards there is a thread noting that New screens now available