Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow border on screen... again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a thread in the S forum about screen yellowing, supposedly affecting a range of order S VINs and some Xs. My screen was replaced last September, but now less than 11 months later it has a yellow border again.

ASY,MCU SUB-ASSY SHP OGS DISP AND PKG (1087293-00-A)

Anyone had their yellow ring return? My X is garaged, has cabin overheat protection enabled and is usually in covered parking when I'm out. It seems unlikely that it's heat related damage, so perhaps I just got a replacement screen from the same bad batch?

I had my screen on dec 2016 x replaced 2 months ago, Yesterday yellow line returned and luckily for me it’s out of warranty now!! Crossed over 50k mark a month ago, hopefully they goodwill this issue since the part is so new.
Most states have a separate warranty on work performed, so I would first assume they will stand by the recent work despite crossing the generic new car warranty timeframe. I am sure tesla will do the right thing.

I wonder if these cars with recurrent yellowing is not the LCD rather a failing video rendering chip that powers the screen. Knowing enough about these cars to know nothing, maybe someone knows if the video processing chips are contained in the screen unit or whether that chip is on a different board somewhere in the car?

I wonder if these cars with recurrent yellowing is not the LCD rather a failing video rendering chip that powers the screen. Knowing enough about these cars to know nothing, maybe someone knows if the video processing chips are contained in the screen unit or whether that chip is on a different board somewhere in the car?
It's not the chip (part of Tegra SoC), it's the screen.

Also my car has got it too last week or so (and here, I thought it was a long solved issue).

It's not the chip (part of Tegra SoC), it's the screen.

Also my car has got it too last week or so (and here, I thought it was a long solved issue).
I wonder if it has anything to do with the switch to the darker interior trim. The silver metal trim holds a ton of heat and is extremely hot to the touch when the car's been sitting for a while. Of course, I'm making two assumptions... that the new darker trim is not metal and that it's heat damaging the 17" display.

In either case, I'm getting a new screen today, although it sounds like the firmware isn't taking.

I asked if it was possible to just pay the difference for an MCU 2 swap, but was told they weren't available.

• Informative
Reactions: MTOman
My Dec2016MS screen was replaced in the Fall for the first time with a yellow border. The car is garage kept and rarely in the sun without AC running. The SC replaced it with a refurbished screen which you can tell from the work order. Am waiting to see if it yellows again.

our X is in now to replace the screen for yellow border. do you know if they replaced yours with new or refurb?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the switch to the darker interior trim. The silver metal trim holds a ton of heat and is extremely hot to the touch when the car's been sitting for a while. Of course, I'm making two assumptions... that the new darker trim is not metal and that it's heat damaging the 17" display.

In either case, I'm getting a new screen today, although it sounds like the firmware isn't taking.

I asked if it was possible to just pay the difference for an MCU 2 swap, but was told they weren't available.

I had mine replaced last month for yellow border. The service technician told me it was the new mcu and it does feel faster than the old one... the part number i got for model X was 1098010-88-d. I couldn’t find any other posts with that part number so not sure if it is mcu2.

Edit: ignore my post. this is the old mcu

Last edited:
I had mine replaced last month for yellow border. The service technician told me it was the new mcu and it does feel faster than the old one... the part number i got for model X was 1098010-88-d. I couldn’t find any other posts with that part number so not sure if it is mcu2.

you can type in teslamcu.xyz on the web browser in the car and it'll tell you!

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ramiel and Terthen