TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

yellow charging ring w new update

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Msolomi, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Msolomi

Msolomi Member

Turns up before it goes to blue, and then green per the service center here. I noticed it today and called. Anyone else noticed this?

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I noticed also... Doesn't seem to add anything, so sort of weird to see

3. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

I've had the yellow ring when I haven't put the connector in properly. Usually have to remove it, and re-insert it.
    Had it happen yesterday actually.
    -
    -with the info you posted, next time it happens, I'll leave it and see if it self corrects.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Since the last firmware update (and maybe the one prior, 6.0) I've noticed that the ring momentary goes yellow when I plug the car in.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm seeing it too. It looks orange to my eye, but only for a split second.

6. skboston

skboston Member

It seems 6.17.xx brings the new yellow color when you first plug the car in. I just noticed it as well when I plugged the car in just now (updated yesterday to the latest update ), haven't seen it when 6.0 came last month.

7. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I've had this off and on since I got my car with 5.14. I got 6.0 today and haven't seen it yet. I'm not convinced it's a change just with 6.0.

8. skboston

skboston Member

It's just my observation, it's the first time I see the yellow light for a brief second before it goes to Blue-->Green and I always wait until my car starts the charging process.
    If there is someone visiting the SC soon, please ask if you don't forget, it will satisfy our curiosity.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've seen it. Went orange momentarily.

10. huntjo

huntjo Member

Seen it. It's brief. Must be from the most recent 6.0 update. Hasn't messed up the charging thus far.

11. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

I noticed it today too. I just made sure it started charging normally. All was good.

12. swegman

swegman Member

I had it starting with 5.14, but it would stay yellow/orange for several seconds before turning green (sometimes it never turned green). Was updated to 6 and now it is yellow/orange only for a fraction of a second when plugging in the charger. SC verified issue but had no solution. Reported it to engineering but never got a reply.

13. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Same here.

14. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

Mine does the same thing --- a very brief yellow before it turns blue and then green. Have never seen this before until we received 6.0 (1.67.42) earlier this week.

15. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

I'm seeing the orange flash recently as well--I figured my UMC was getting sticky and not making a good connection right off the bat. Sounds normal based on this thread.

16. Msolomi

Msolomi Member

The service center here in ATLANTA said it was normal and they tested it on all cars w latest update and all flashed yellowish orange before blue and green. They were notaware of it until I asked them about it when I got my car back on Tuesday.

17. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

I've tested it myself and the orange color alerts the user that the cable isn't plugged in properly. If you just push your cable in but not all the way, it'll sit orange until you push it in far enough to get it to latch then start the charging process.

I like it and think it's a good way to let new owners especially know they haven't properly plugged in. Also a good reminder to existing owners from time to time.

I think it's cool Tesla had the foresight to give the port the ability to even generate an orange color. Shows they were thinking ahead.

18. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

Now the orange flashes momentarily every time, regardless of the adequacy of the connection.

19. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Yeah but it's so quick it's not a bother, really. I just see it as the system going through a quick cycle of checks before enabling the charge. If it stays yellow/orange then you know the cable isn't connected properly.

20. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Oh thank goodness! After one of the many 6ish updates I started seeing the orange flash and was a little concerned that maybe after a year and a half things were wearing out. Glad to know that's not the case!

Yellow is what it flashes or stays when the connector isn't pushed in all the way. Orange is the new green! At least for half a second.