Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow dashed line at 320kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that 320 kW is ~428 HP. The S85 is advertised with 373 HP peak at the battery, or ~280kW.

So, I'm reasonably certain what you're seeing is just the software showing the yellow line with less of a margin triggering its display than it used to, like I mentioned at the end of my previous post, and that the car's behavior is completely normal.

But, keep us apprised of what you come up with... I'm pretty sure the end result will be that everything is normal.

Since you apparently know more about this than I, can I ask you why you think this might be happening on my car but apparently nobody else's? Why it happens at various different temperatures and states of charge? Why if it's completely normal it would show any limitation at all? Why Tesla's techs would be surprised about it? Why they would need to escalate the problem up to Fremont?

And I'm not being facetious. I'm genuinely curious as to what you think. It's the inconsistency that bugs me.

Since you apparently know more about this than I, can I ask you why you think this might be happening on my car but apparently nobody else's? Why it happens at various different temperatures and states of charge? Why if it's completely normal it would show any limitation at all? Why Tesla's techs would be surprised about it? Why they would need to escalate the problem up to Fremont?

And I'm not being facetious. I'm genuinely curious as to what you think. It's the inconsistency that bugs me.

Well, let me clarify a bit.

I think the fact that the car is limiting power where it is on the S85 is completely normal. The fact that it's telling you about it in the form of the yellow dashed line so early on is not.

If I were to assume that this wasn't just a software glitch of some kind that caused the line to show prematurely, the only other explanation I can come up with would be that your pack is sagging in voltage lower than normal under load due to degradation or some other issue causing more voltage drop than expected, but I have no way to check this without some power-train CAN logs or similar data.

A few things come to mind:

1. The peak output I've observed on my S85 is 326 kW. You will really only see this when the pack is very warm (after SpC, for instance). I do not recall seeing a limiter appear given sufficient SOC and that these are brief punches.

2. I do see a dashed limiter occasionally on my S85 if I hold maximum throttle for several seconds. I believe this is due to the motor heating up.

Hello

If you charge at 100% you see the dashed line at - 50kW during régen. Battery being full you cannot charge it anymore with 50kW. Seems logic.

Similarly I have seen the dashed line on an empty battery after many launch demos, BMS is not allowing to draw more current to avoid too low voltage in internal cells.

This is just a BMS limit to avoid harming the battery

Hello

If you charge at 100% you see the dashed line at - 50kW during régen. Battery being full you cannot charge it anymore with 50kW. Seems logic.

Similarly I have seen the dashed line on an empty battery after many launch demos, BMS is not allowing to draw more current to avoid too low voltage in internal cells.

This is just a BMS limit to avoid harming the battery

I appreciate the input but I don't think you're fully following the topic. I know how/ when the regen lines appears. I also am aware that under certain conditions power will be limited and a line while appear under power. My point of contention is that it's happening all the time. So I know why the car is doing it. The question is what's happening every single time that's making it limit power.

Oh okay, I didn't understand that it was all the time. This is for sure not normal, I have seen it power limiting only once when showing friends a lot of accelerations on an empty battery