Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Dashed Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View media item 120617Before you freak out, this is what the classic Tesla dashboard looks like. But my question/concern is that the yellow dashed line that limits power has been coming on at higher and higher remaining miles. It used to come on around 50 miles of range left. Now it is over 100, about 110. And it comes on regardless of battery temperature and stays on until the batteries are recharged. Is this normal to get reduced power for such a wide swath of SOC?

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
R

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 168
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
View media item 120617Before you freak out, this is what the classic Tesla dashboard looks like. But my question/concern is that the yellow dashed line that limits power has been coming on at higher and higher remaining miles. It used to come on around 50 miles of range left. Now it is over 100, about 110. And it comes on regardless of battery temperature and stays on until the batteries are recharged. Is this normal to get reduced power for such a wide swath of SOC?
I too notice this exact thing on my 2013 85. Your limiting spot is the exact same where mine was when I had ~115 miles. The temperature wasn't abnormally cold either (~55 F). I expected the limit to drop by the time I got home but it didn't. Did not have this severe of limiting prior to this summers software updates. I think this is part of the batterygate/chargegate (and what now seems to be even more power limiting with these latest updates). Guess we can call it powergate?

I too notice this exact thing on my 2013 85. Your limiting spot is the exact same where mine was when I had ~115 miles. The temperature wasn't abnormally cold either (~55 F). I expected the limit to drop by the time I got home but it didn't. Did not have this severe of limiting prior to this summers software updates. I think this is part of the batterygate/chargegate (and what now seems to be even more power limiting with these latest updates). Guess we can call it powergate?
Yes, it seems to have popped up recently with the latest updates. But it sure seems overly protective to be limiting power with over 40% battery charge left.

• Helpful
Reactions: hpartsch
There is a similar thread posted elsewhere, can't bother to look, but I posted that I too have seen this over the summer and it's a slightly new behavior.

Classic 2013 early VIN (~6000) Tesla S85 (non P) with original "A" battery pack (the one with a 90 kW supercharger limit).
Typically saw the yellow line in colder (5C or below) weather, or when at lower states of charge (less than 30% SOC).

DELTA from previous behavior : Now I see the yellow line under 100% acceleration at any SOC or temperature since mid 2019.

The power level still feels "sufficient" (my wife's term), and I feel there is nothing otherwise out of the ordinary except for a yellow dashed line indicator when I "hammer it" (ala Bjorn Nyland)

I have a 2012 with 240k miles...
I had same experience as OP - dashed lines coming at higher and higher SOC even with normal temps. Was coming on at 30% SOC.
Had very minor issue and Tesla asked to replace the HV battery - and this issue is gone. This all was prior to 'batterygate'.. My conclusion is that as the battery degrades, the capacity and range decrease, and also the power (and supercharging rate) decreases - this was my explanation for the dashed lines and reduced power.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Power limited only at 80+ mph

I've had this for years. It started out only at high speed but now it is all of the time and limits me more than 100 kW. In my case, it is a battery module that failed, probably due to a coolant pump that had failed tesla wasn't able to identify (it didn't trigger errors or logs, and took years for them to find). Unfortunately, since the battery failure is only causing me to lose horsepower and not range tesla says they won't fix the failure.