Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Dashed Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They tell me it's not a warranty problem because the range is fine. They don't really have a prepared statement for failed batteries that are power related, but they just won't fix my car. They admit it's a dead battery, and then they tell me it's fine and I just shouldn't have bought Performance.

Power limited only at 80+ mph
it is a battery module that failed, probably due to a coolant pump that had failed tesla wasn't able to identify (it didn't trigger errors or logs, and took years for them to find)

FYI that indeed I saw no errors on our 2013 Model S, and Tesla didn't identify the coolant pump failure until the service center spent yesterday chasing down an issue with cold weather battery preconditioning. All this to say, the Tesla diagnostics on the coolant pump for older cars seems to be lacking.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I have a 2012 with 240k miles...
I had same experience as OP - dashed lines coming at higher and higher SOC even with normal temps. Was coming on at 30% SOC.
Had very minor issue and Tesla asked to replace the HV battery - and this issue is gone. This all was prior to 'batterygate'.. My conclusion is that as the battery degrades, the capacity and range decrease, and also the power (and supercharging rate) decreases - this was my explanation for the dashed lines and reduced power.

So, I need to give an update.. This thread was tagged in my inbox due to my prior post. About a year after I posted the above, I queried my battery with ScanMyTesla app. Found out I had a bad module, and received a new battery under warranty. TL/DR: it was a busted module

FYI that indeed I saw no errors on our 2013 Model S, and Tesla didn't identify the coolant pump failure until the service center spent yesterday chasing down an issue with cold weather battery preconditioning. All this to say, the Tesla diagnostics on the coolant pump for older cars seems to be lacking.
By coincidence, my battery coolant heater and a coolant pump were replaced on my 2015 Model S 70D just yesterday. I also had no warnings, but had trouble charging in cold weather all this winter, and had noticed the regen limits seemed to stay in place longer than I remembered. The SC said the pump was "failing," not necessarily inoperable. That makes me wonder if my battery suffered any damage....probably i will never know. Not having a "P," I have not observed any performance limits.

Reactions: SmartElectric