Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow edge screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vngovn

Feb 1, 2019
US
Hi All,
I just saw the yellow edge on my screen's Tesla-S. Can someone help me how can it happen and how to fix it?
Has anyone experienced with this issue?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• file-7.jpeg
    file-7.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 369
Yep the Yellow Border/Ring. Known issue and been discussed at length in the Model S forum. Search for “yellow”. Threads on Model X forum as well. Tesla has replaced a number of screens and entire MCUs but last I read have stopped until they have a more permanent solution. Seems like most cases fell within a certain production period. Believe due to some adhesive issue around the edges. Best we know is it’s just cosmetic and at least not due to a leaking adhesive delamination issue. Had the border on our 3/2017 build MS, had replaced, have it again. What build date is your car?

Last edited:
Reactions: outdoors
...just saw...

You are late to the party!

Very common defect.

Tesla has a 17" screen problem.

Older ones got the glue leak which creates a vacuum to let the air in and forms bubbles.

Luckily, you got a newer screen that has no bubble problem, but it still has a glue problem.

According to @swegman who got the explanation from Tesla: The new screens have glue that interacts with air so you've got yellow around the edges.

Tesla used to gladly to replace you with a new one and of course, the air would interact with your glue again so you'll be back to square one in no time.

Thus, Tesla has persuaded owners to leave it alone as it will have a software fix coming soon because after all, the problem is at the edges.

Good luck to the quality control department!

@BridgeMojo,

Did they flat out refuse or did they ask you to wait? Did they give any further explanation?

Thanks!

The letter from Customer Support didn't flat out deny that they would fix it later, but also didn't promise to.

"That yellow band you are describing is part of known problem we are addressing. Below are points to keep in mind. A resolution will not be possible at the time of your appointment in February.

* Tesla has reviewed these complaints and determined this is a cosmetic anomaly which has no impact on performance or reliability of the touchscreen.
* A design modification is in testing phase to avoid the creation of this anomaly and is slated for introduction around spring of 2019.

If you have further questions ..." etc.

....Tesla has reviewed these complaints and determined this is a cosmetic anomaly which has no impact on performance or reliability of the touchscreen...

That can be said of a big giant scratch on the brand new car that's only "cosmetic."

It's a screen and I would not buy a TV with "cosmetic anomaly" on its screen!

Tesla really needs to fix this kind of "cosmetic anomaly"!

My Dec ‘17 S75D has started showing the yellow boarder too. It’s pretty faint. I will mention it when I go in for 25k mile service in a few weeks.

Additionally, a tech savvy buddy told me to run the screen in Night Mode for a few weeks. He said it helped his 2015 Model S screen yellow edges.

My Dec ‘17 S75D has started showing the yellow boarder too. It’s pretty faint. I will mention it when I go in for 25k mile service in a few weeks.

Additionally, a tech savvy buddy told me to run the screen in Night Mode for a few weeks. He said it helped his 2015 Model S screen yellow edges.

It gradually gets worse over time. Seeing as it's a hardware issue, difficult to comprehend that running in night mode would make any difference.

BTW, seems to be a common problem as Tesla told me last fall that they could replace the screen but I'd just have the same issue with the new screen....6 months on and I'm still waiting on them having a replacement screen which won't discolor.

Reactions: sdoorex and Buster1
Thanks for the update! I will schedule an appointment as well.

Alas, they just bounced my appointment a couple of days ago. They will replace the screen, but on my dime. They think they will have an in-warranty solution in a month or so (this is what my SC dude told me on the phone, the post below indicates "after September"). Someone from Norway posted elsewhere about their discussion on the topic. Apparently, the in-warranty solution will involve doctoring existing screens.

State of Service : teslamotors

Also, check this out: Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I've always thought class actions I got wrapped up in were frivolous, but I'll be the first to lead the way on this if their solution is to decrease the visible scree size. Talk about a crappy hack that takes away from the appearance and functionality of the car.

Mine (Nov 2018 S100D) dramatically worsened in the past week. Used to include about 1/3 of passenger side only, now its 70% of each side but not bottom or top. Doesn't interfere yet, just cosmetic. I hate how much this is likely to cost Tesla, but I hope they figure out a way to rid us of the yellow border.