TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Yellow haze around touchscreen. Tesla reply

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Twelve0one, May 13, 2019.

1. Twelve0one

Twelve0one Member

so I scheduled an appointment to get the yellow haze around my model x touch screen repaired. Which is apparently a known issue. I received a text telling me I had to wait 2-3 months for them to replace it. They told me I could get it replaced immediately if I paid the cost as it would not be covered on my warranty. ??? Huh??

“Good afternoon, I apologize about the inconvenience but the timeline given for repairs is because Tesla approved this repair last week and will be ordering the specialized tools needed to address this concern. If you wish to have it addressed sooner replacing the touchscreen is an option but will not be covered under warranty since we have not been able to address it with our approved method. Total cost for a screen replacement is $1,346.75 including taxes. Please advise on how you would like to proceed.” -tesla service center

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

They have a redesign in the works. If the install one they have now you will be back. Personally, I’d wait so the dash only needs to be opened up once.

• Like x 1
  3. Hilbe

Hilbe Member

The new part is out. I have my X at the SC today. They didn’t have any available (backorder?) so I’ll check back in a month or two.

• Like x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

#4 MP3Mike, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Their new plan is that they are going to repair your existing display once the new tools are in. If you don't want to wait until then you can pay to have the display replaced.

5. Hilbe

Hilbe Member

I’m telling you the new part is now available, but backordered. Everyone with yellow screens are trying to get them done.

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

And Tesla has told people that they are no longer replacing the screens under warranty. They are waiting for new equipment to come in which they will use to repair your existing screen with the yellow borders.

They have new screens in stock and will replace it if you want to pay for it instead of waiting for them to repair your existing one.

7. gnumeric

gnumeric Member

Check out the thread in the Model S forum for more info.

8. Chunky Jr.

Chunky Jr. Member

I just had a mobile service done at my house to replace the 12v and fix the recent recall issue with steering. They also updated the firmware to the latest. Immediately after this service, my touch screen had a yellow band around the border. I don't think it is a coincidence. Not sure if the firmware did something, or the inside of front of car being exposed to direct sunlight, or what.

BTW - I have had my MCU replaced 3 times for various issues. I do not want to get a fourth, so hoping it is a software issue.

9. stevemc

stevemc Member

Here's an article that explains what happening with Tesla's screen. It explains that there were no 17" screens built for Auto use and that Tesla used an industrial grade monitor. It seems that this monitor cannot stand up to the high temps that are found in an Auto.

Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1