Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Road Paint on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife drove through a roadwork area and there must have been paint that was not dry. A few days later I put the car through a touchless car wash because of all the dirt on the car. When I got home I noticed yellow paint on one side of the car that had been hidden by the dirt. I did not know what to do, so I had some Bug and Tar remover that I had used on the car before for bug removal and it seemed to work to loosen off the yellow paint. I had to use a plastic scraper to get the paint off. I did not think of taking a photo before hand, but here are two that show how much paint is in the wheel wells. Don't know how to get all that out. Any comments?

Edited: Sorry I cannot seem to get the picture to upload.

Last edited:
If you get it within a few weeks this will usually come off with just a clay bar. A plastic scraper was a really risky move. Hopefully that turned out OK.

The wheel wells, being fabric, are a bigger problem. There you might actually want to try that scraper. Maybe someone has a better solution.

I have to admit I was a bit worried about getting it off asap since it was on for a few days. I first could see that a speck would come off with my fingernail but there was quite a bit so I was glad the Bug remover did make it a lot easier. And I was careful with the scraper. But Gizmotoy is right about the wheel wells. Won't come out of there at all. Wondering if spraying painting over it might be better but for now I think I will see if it wears out or at least dirties up with time and driving. At least no one can see the yellow underneath the car unless they are practically laying down on the ground;).

My wife drove through a roadwork area and there must have been paint that was not dry. A few days later I put the car through a touchless car wash because of all the dirt on the car. When I got home I noticed yellow paint on one side of the car that had been hidden by the dirt. I did not know what to do, so I had some Bug and Tar remover that I had used on the car before for bug removal and it seemed to work to loosen off the yellow paint. I had to use a plastic scraper to get the paint off. I did not think of taking a photo before hand, but here are two that show how much paint is in the wheel wells. Don't know how to get all that out. Any comments?

Edited: Sorry I cannot seem to get the picture to upload.
Go to local DuPont auto paint store. Buy 1 gallon of 3812S enamel reducer. Wear rubber gloves and use rags to dissolve the paint from the wheel well liners. Will also clean spray paint off of the car finish without harming it.