Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen border issue and Australian consumer law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australian consumer law is quite strong and legally enforcible before any manufacturer warranty even needs to be opened. Particularly it says that all defects that present within a reasonable timeframe from purchase must be rectified within a reasonable timeframe from when they are presented to the manufacturer.

In the USA Tesla are claiming that the yellow border which forms around the screen of many model s and x cars made between 2016 to 2018 is cosmetic and not a defect for warranty purposes. I won't bore you with all the details, the issue is well discussed in the model S forum.

In my last email to Tesla I stated I am happy to work with them for them to have a reasonable timeframe to rectify this but I need a firm date on the matter. They haven't replied at all in over a week. I believe they are smart enough to know that just the act of stating something is not warrantable, when it is, can leave you with a heavy fine.

My question to other s and x owners are:
1. has anyone in Australia pushed this issue to a successful resolution in the last 6 months?

2. Has anyone needed to get consumer protection involved and what was your outcome?

3. Has anyone been told any of the crazy stories about software fixes or uv lights by an Australian service center?

Ps I am happy to let them fix it within a reasonable timeframe, even let them try uv lights and software but we are already 6 months on from the first request to repair.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
This is not an issue that Tesla should be carefree about, it appears as if it doesn't present as a problem in pre 2016 cars, that would make it even more frustrating for owners of 2016-2018 cars.
Well pre-2016 cars had the bubble and dripping goo problem. The yellow border screens were meant to be the fix for this. Obviously they didn't quite get it right!

The yellow tint around the display is a known issue, but Tesla has no long lasting repair. What would you expect them to do?
Tesla now have the new screen version and are installing into cars in the US, but are then asking owners to pay the bill, that's the whole problem here.

The yellow tint around the display is a known issue, but Tesla has no long lasting repair. What would you expect them to do?
The issue has been known for almost 3 years, they now have new screens that don't have this issue. The fix is to get the new parts in Australia and replace every screen with this problem. That is of course unpalatable and expensive for a company trying to cut costs, but I don't think I should put up with that defect indefinitely on a near new car just because they are trying to cut costs.

I'd happily pay money (diff between new MCU and old MCU replacement cost) to get the upgraded Intel fast MCU with screen fix, ie MCU2. That way I can stop annoying Tesla about my 3G to 4G upgrade etc., etc. @Model3owners onTwitter recently reminded Elon of this here:

Tesla Owners Online on Twitter
I already have mcu2, if I didn't I might be happy to consider paying for an upgrade too. I'll happily pay for a ccs2 upgrade and adapter when we have a few more chargers in wa. But as there is nothing that needs upgrading now and I'm less than 1 year into my 4 year warranty I'd just like my car to be free from manufacturing defects at no cost to me.

I already have mcu2, if I didn't I might be happy to consider paying for an upgrade too. I'll happily pay for a ccs2 upgrade and adapter when we have a few more chargers in wa. But as there is nothing that needs upgrading now and I'm less than 1 year into my 4 year warranty I'd just like my car to be free from manufacturing defects at no cost to me.
Have you asked the Perth ranger for assistance in resolving the issue?

• Funny
Reactions: Jays200
Have you asked the Perth ranger for assistance in resolving the issue?
Umm yes and it has had an appointment in which I was told a fix would be coming at a later date, and he dealt with my other issue only. Since then we've been asked to route all Service requests through the Queensland office and we have a specific "Perth service" email set up which goes to them. Its that center that would deal with parts ordering etc and he can't act without the parts in hand.