Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Screen border, poor quality & workmanship, and poor customer service -- Arbitration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told recently by a service tech who came to my home about a Model X driver I was parked next to about the yellow around the edge of the screen. He says they know all about it. He said it's from the glue that is used to hold the touchscreen to the display. He says the fix is easy. They use an ultraviolet light for about 1 hour and it goes away. I could swear there was another thread on this problem with the solution

I was told recently by a service tech who came to my home about a Model X driver I was parked next to about the yellow around the edge of the screen. He says they know all about it. He said it's from the glue that is used to hold the touchscreen to the display. He says the fix is easy. They use an ultraviolet light for about 1 hour and it goes away. I could swear there was another thread on this problem with the solution

They didn't have that fix developed 1.5 years ago when the OP was going through this.

few issues noted by the judge in my case: one year ago Tesla said the fix was changing the monitor (warranty issue) then they said it was the “healing process” and changed their mind about replacing the monitor and said they will do a “goodwill” healing x1 ( ie no longer a warranty issue) and any repeat healing, if needed, I would have to pay. There is also the same yellowing around the instrument cluster, which they are still”working on a goodwill fix”. The judge thought this stance, by Tesla, was none sense and that this is clearly a warranty issue. The judge also awarded me a civil penalty judgment, In addition to everything else, for Tesla not upholding their customer service promise one of which was to replace the monitor.

Bought an expensive car. Company does not do everything I want and does not talk nice to me...they suck...

See posts like these with most any manufacturer.
Oh good grief. You are delusional or extremely lucky. Until this deer strike back in December, I have had nothing but good interactions with Tesla. It helped that as a Roadster owner I was on a first-name basis with the Burlingame SC Manager (he was a service writer at Menlo in the Roadster days) and then when I moved to OK we have a really great Ranger crew here.

I would read about long wait times for parts here on TMC with the same view that it wasn't affecting me, or that it was an isolated incident, they needed weird parts, etc. However, the multi-month wait for very standard parts (hood, bumper, front fender, headlight) is just inexcusable.

So I will say to you that it is just a matter of time before this happens to you.

Congrats on the battle... I wish I had the time and energy to start the fight. I had scheduled 4 service visits to fix my yellowing screen and all 4 were cancelled stating they did not have the tool available. I have been battling this issue for over a year now. I also have wind noise and the windows don't close correctly and had that repaired twice and both times it was not fixed and there is still a gap between the window and the weather stripping.

Amped, I'm having same issues, I fixed everything but battery. I joined the San Francisco lawsuit. They me throttled back to 60kw max.
Customer Service has gone to hell. My SC was wonderful in January 2017, but now, not close. The service guy stood right in front of me and lied to me about what my car came with. Tried to make mobile appointment, they refused. Insisted I had to go to SC to get it fixed. I fixed it. Their Karma is gone if u read a hundred post on here.

Funny you mention this, as I have had numerous trim issues with my Model 3 December 2019 build, one of which was a misaligned trunk The SC noted that they fixed the misalignment to the degree that it wasn't rubbing paint on closure, touched up that paint rub point and confirmed proper trunk closure. However, trunk was grossly misaligned in which the answer to my question as to why they didn't fix that was it was within Tesla tolerance specifications. Now I get that a warranty shouldn't necessarily have to fix cosmetic issues; however, when I got home it took me about 20m to adjust TWO bolts and trunk is perfect. Had to drive 6 hours roundtrip to SC and 7 hours in service for a 13 hour weekday (time off work) to fix this myself...

Attachments

• Trunk 2 after SC.jpeg
    Trunk 2 after SC.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Trunk after SC.jpeg
    Trunk after SC.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Trunk after I fixed.jpeg
    Trunk after I fixed.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Trunk2 after I fixed.jpeg
    Trunk2 after I fixed.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 116
In 3 years, I've had some warranty issues with my 2016 Model S and were handled fine by the SC in Charlotte. I've also had discussions about suspension noise and the extremely fast thread wearing of the tires, both considered "normal". SC has been patient with my requests to review these issues even if not always agreeing with my complaint. Also had to replace fender due to rear-ending - took about 1.5 months to get the parts in. I know others that have fared worse, but I consider my experience good enough to get a new Model S next month.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I own a 2016 Model S and have had decent, if not, positive experiences with my service team in Santa Clara, CA. No qualms there. But, I am quite surprised at how so many people tout the technology in Tesla vehicles as “superb,” “forward-looking” and “advanced,” etc. Quite personally, I feel the technology is quite a ways behind what you can find in other luxury vehicles at a similar or lower price. For instance, the vehicle is incapable of linking an iPhone’s contact database with the vehicle’s search database. For a large number of my contacts, when I ask the the car to call them, the car returns a search result that isn’t in my contacts list. It botches the name and makes me scroll through a list, which pretty much defeats the purpose of using the voice command in the first place. It’s far quicker to open my phone case and ask Siri to dial. She gets it right 100% of the time! Another qualm I have is with the navigation system. If I’m driving in an area with poor LTE coverage, map refresh and redraw comes to a grinding halt, leaving me with a map that is in pieces, incomplete until LTE coverage improves. An easy solution would have been to incorporate offline map download. Why the heck did they think relying on a constant LTE connection to download maps in a piecemeal fashion would be ok? No other luxury car manufacturer designs their system like this. Huge oversight! Superb, forward-looking and advanced it is not! To top it off, the system is incapable of letting you select between multiple route options before beginning a trip. Tesla’s answer to this is letting you set a time savings threshold that allows the vehicle to automatically switch to a faster route. Archaic!! And, don’t get me started on the lack of processing power in my vehicle. It can’t even capture video while the car is parked and in Sentry Mode. Come on! Even my iPhone or some cheap dashcam made in China could do that. To think I paid close to $120K for a vehicle that has less processing power than my iPhone is laughable. I expected better from Tesla for the price. I had no idea these limitations existed prior to the purchase. Having come from a BMW 550i X-drive, I expected the Model S to at least be on par with BMWs and Mercedes, but realized later that the only advancement was the battery technology and over-the air-updates. <<smh>>

Yellow screen/bar on the edge of screen...I have been keep on asking for the repair at my service center and they said its getting ready since last summer(2018) and till now NO Solution..

Wind noise, creeking noise, ...i really feel very bad every day, every time I drive, it resembles as if some car back from accident..They should really improve Build quality..

Window glass accumulates lots of dust, dirt even after 2 or 3 days after wash...causing much noise when up and down...My other Car, Corolla, ana Economy car is much much bettter in this regard and also the cabin noise in Corolla is much lower.

Oh good grief. You are delusional or extremely lucky. Until this deer strike back in December, I have had nothing but good interactions with Tesla. It helped that as a Roadster owner I was on a first-name basis with the Burlingame SC Manager (he was a service writer at Menlo in the Roadster days) and then when I moved to OK we have a really great Ranger crew here.

I would read about long wait times for parts here on TMC with the same view that it wasn't affecting me, or that it was an isolated incident, they needed weird parts, etc. However, the multi-month wait for very standard parts (hood, bumper, front fender, headlight) is just inexcusable.

So I will say to you that it is just a matter of time before this happens to you.
This is what stinks about this site, you're either all in or all out...there is no in-between. The truth is that Tesla actually WAS better years ago, when they first started out and it made you feel better knowing that just because they were new and were charging X dollars you felt like you were a part of something special and they'd go above and beyond to do the right thing as thanks for being there in the beginning.

Now? Model S and X owners (the ones that got in early, spent more money and basically helped get Tesla up and running tbh) are at the back of the line for updates, fixes, refreshes, and service it seems. It's almost like they don't even believe in these models anymore, but like afterthoughts...sigh.

My car was purchased through the website and the arbitration took about 1.5 years since they did not want to settle with me. The car had about 20K on it at the time the judgement was issued. It had 5 miles when it was purchased.
People should consider opting out of arbitration after they sign a purchase contract with Tesla. You have to do it in writing within 30 days of signing the purchase agreement. Look at the fine print.

I purchased a brand new Tesla model S in 2018 through one of my best experiences with car sales. No-haggle, accommodating salesperson, and an effortless process.

However, immediately after pick up, everything changed. I soon realized that Tesla pays little attention to the workmanship of their products. The car's technology is impressive, but the actual quality of the vehicle leaves a lot to be desired.

I won't bother you with all the details, and will only share a few of my issues: car was misaligned at pick up (I had to turn the steering wheel about 10-20 degrees to the left to make the car go straight)----Tesla sales department asked that I make a service appointment as I had already signed the contract and nothing else they could do. My Bluetooth started echoing (on the receiver's end), my air suspension made a funny vibration noise at random hours even when the car was parked at 4 am, and my screen started turning yellow (The yellowing of the screen borders is the same issue as with 1000s of other Model S/X owners).

When I brought these issues to Tesla's attention through many service appointments, emails, videos, etc., I was confronted with an arrogance that I found disturbing. The attitude I got from the service department was basically: The car is "drivable"; these are mostly aesthetic issues (yellow screen) and stop complaining, or they would say: "it will get fixed with a future firmware upgrade," but could not tell me when.

It seems like Tesla has gotten the hard part, bringing new technology to the automotive industry, right but is completely inept when it comes to customer service/retention and making a high-quality automobile.

Tesla was relentless in trying to say the defects effecting my car were not covered by warranty calling the suspension noise "Louder than normal" rather than abnormal. Saying the yellow screen could be "healed" at some future date, "free of charge for the first attempt, through a "goodwill" something or other. They even admitted, after it was leaked, that the yellow screen was due to a defective glue curing process they used during manufacturing. When I asked to have my yellow bordered screen replaced, they asked for $1700.

I was bewildered by the disreputable attitude portrayed by Tesla. Tesla is a young company with high potentials; only if they change their current customer service culture.

Unfortunately, for me, I had no choice but to file a legal claim against them and go through the arbitration process. Tesla decided to fight me all the way with having two expert witnesses and two attorneys present during the two-day arbitration.

Even during the arbitration, Tesla's arrogance was apparent through their attorney and their arguments. I prevailed. The judge found the yellow screen, the noise, the Bluetooth issue, and a couple of other issues were indeed nonconformity and held Tesla liable for not fixing these defects within 30 days and not upholding their pledge for customer service.

Something that could have cost Tesla much less, even if they had given me a brand new replacement car, ended up costing them significantly more.

Do not let Tesla tell you the Yellow screen or other issues are not covered under warranty. Make sure you document all your conversations with them and speak to an expert.

If you are finding yourself in the same situation of having to fight Tesla, I highly recommend getting an attorney and going through arbitration/trial. If you want the contact info for my attorney, whom I thought was excellent, PM me.

I am sorry you had this experience with your SC. Call the company directly and tweet Elon. No one wants you to have this experience. I purchased a new 17 MS75D and had a handful of issues (including the ones you list) and my SC was gracious and helpful to correct, even if it took too long for some parts. I have purchased 15 new cars from several manufactures' and my Tesla is the only one that has been mechanically problem free with no rattles, creaks or noises in the bunch after two years and close to 30k miles.

With all things considered I pretty much level with Tesla's customer service. It's not Tesla's fault really, it's the reality of starting new company in Automotive sector, starting from scratch, trying to save every $ to survive. Hiring cheapest managers and CS reps as the consequence. Cheap managers make expensive (for Tesla) decisions. Hopefully they will be gone soon as Tesla grows and finally is profitable till the end of EV era.

However it will hurt them, especially when competition catches up. Unless they pull of a miracle in AP evolution or battery design.

Personally I have hard time recommending Tesla. I always fall back to something like "you have to keep an eye on it, it will bug out unexpectedly (software mostly), it's not trustworthy, quality and finish is questionable, use at your own risk, but there are definitely some positives". There is a lot to learn. About car itself and it's operation, about software, about chargers and conditions and mileage management, etc, etc. About questionable service.

Although you have to keep in mind that competition is not there and there is a reason for it. Automotive industry got lazy in last decades, they failed to keep up. And all the new comers have NOTHING real yet. Even Porsche failed to avoid battery fire. Every new comer will face same issues as Tesla.

Every new comer will face same issues as Tesla.

In fact, ICE manufacturers have a harder task to not just dump their investment in fossil technologies. 5 years is nothing for a start up business even in a relatively static and established market. Given how different the M3 & MY are in scale from anything Tesla did in the first several years, and the technical challenge of FSD, as well as starting up from scratch without dealers, what they have done already is mind blowing.

Reactions: SilverGS
So far my Model 3 (3 months) is doing ok, only minor issues. My biggest gripe is the fact that never, ever does anyone at Tesla answer the phone, especially in service. Their phone system bounces me around and winds up spiting me out to start over. When I did get a mobile service tech to the house, he was great, knowledgeable, smart, helpful. It was just getting there that was the problem.

I purchased a brand new Tesla model S in 2018 through one of my best experiences with car sales. No-haggle, accommodating salesperson, and an effortless process.

However, immediately after pick up, everything changed. I soon realized that Tesla pays little attention to the workmanship of their products. The car's technology is impressive, but the actual quality of the vehicle leaves a lot to be desired.

I won't bother you with all the details, and will only share a few of my issues: car was misaligned at pick up (I had to turn the steering wheel about 10-20 degrees to the left to make the car go straight)----Tesla sales department asked that I make a service appointment as I had already signed the contract and nothing else they could do. My Bluetooth started echoing (on the receiver's end), my air suspension made a funny vibration noise at random hours even when the car was parked at 4 am, and my screen started turning yellow (The yellowing of the screen borders is the same issue as with 1000s of other Model S/X owners).

When I brought these issues to Tesla's attention through many service appointments, emails, videos, etc., I was confronted with an arrogance that I found disturbing. The attitude I got from the service department was basically: The car is "drivable"; these are mostly aesthetic issues (yellow screen) and stop complaining, or they would say: "it will get fixed with a future firmware upgrade," but could not tell me when.

It seems like Tesla has gotten the hard part, bringing new technology to the automotive industry, right but is completely inept when it comes to customer service/retention and making a high-quality automobile.

Tesla was relentless in trying to say the defects effecting my car were not covered by warranty calling the suspension noise "Louder than normal" rather than abnormal. Saying the yellow screen could be "healed" at some future date, "free of charge for the first attempt, through a "goodwill" something or other. They even admitted, after it was leaked, that the yellow screen was due to a defective glue curing process they used during manufacturing. When I asked to have my yellow bordered screen replaced, they asked for $1700.

I was bewildered by the disreputable attitude portrayed by Tesla. Tesla is a young company with high potentials; only if they change their current customer service culture.

Unfortunately, for me, I had no choice but to file a legal claim against them and go through the arbitration process. Tesla decided to fight me all the way with having two expert witnesses and two attorneys present during the two-day arbitration.

Even during the arbitration, Tesla's arrogance was apparent through their attorney and their arguments. I prevailed. The judge found the yellow screen, the noise, the Bluetooth issue, and a couple of other issues were indeed nonconformity and held Tesla liable for not fixing these defects within 30 days and not upholding their pledge for customer service.

Something that could have cost Tesla much less, even if they had given me a brand new replacement car, ended up costing them significantly more.

Do not let Tesla tell you the Yellow screen or other issues are not covered under warranty. Make sure you document all your conversations with them and speak to an expert.

If you are finding yourself in the same situation of having to fight Tesla, I highly recommend getting an attorney and going through arbitration/trial. If you want the contact info for my attorney, whom I thought was excellent, PM me.

a lot of people are asking about the judgment: Tesla was ordered to pay the car off and return my down payment and refund all the payments and daily interest I had paid on the car, they were ordered to pay me back my registration fee, I was asked to pay Tesla $450 for the time the car was not a nonconformity ( 2weeks). Tesla was ordered to pay me a civil penalty. Tesla was asked to pay all my attorney fees. Tesla was asked to add all my reward and pay me a 10% annual interest on the total sum from 9/2018 till they made their final payment to me.....

Funny you mention this, as I have had numerous trim issues with my Model 3 December 2019 build, one of which was a misaligned trunk The SC noted that they fixed the misalignment to the degree that it wasn't rubbing paint on closure, touched up that paint rub point and confirmed proper trunk closure
The glaring problem here is the total lack of QA (or care) at the Tesla factory that cars are allowed to leave built to that specification and think it is acceptable. Maybe the culture there is 'well we made it, the service centre will fix up any problems'.
Can you ever imagine a company like Lexus letting a vehicle out of the factory with panels aligned like that?
I purchased my Model-S second hand but the owner told me that he had it back getting things lined up properly several times, and this is when they were really, really expensive cars before the price slash.

Reactions: tyler2323