Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just stumbled upon this thread.. My 2018 S developed the yellow ring near the beginning of the year, they cancelled one appointment to address it (COVID staff shortages) then got around to the UV treatment a month before the warranty ran out. Didn't work (though improved it some), tried it again, didn't change anything, now they're back to "your warranty has expired and we wouldn't replace the screen anyway because it's cosmetic".

Guess we'll see if arbitration gets anywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Just stumbled upon this thread.. My 2018 S developed the yellow ring near the beginning of the year, they cancelled one appointment to address it (COVID staff shortages) then got around to the UV treatment a month before the warranty ran out. Didn't work (though improved it some), tried it again, didn't change anything, now they're back to "your warranty has expired and we wouldn't replace the screen anyway because it's cosmetic".

Guess we'll see if arbitration gets anywhere.
Welp.. NCDS says they only arbitrate if the warranty is still active when they get the request. If you file it with Tesla under warranty and they run the clock out trying the UV fix before they deny it as a warranty issue, NCDS won't touch it.

Guess I'll try putting it in the garage with a UV lamp overnight and figure out what to do from there.

Welp.. NCDS says they only arbitrate if the warranty is still active when they get the request. If you file it with Tesla under warranty and they run the clock out trying the UV fix before they deny it as a warranty issue, NCDS won't touch it.

Guess I'll try putting it in the garage with a UV lamp overnight and figure out what to do from there.
Well, that's BS. I thought he whole point of arbitration was to adjudicate such issues!

Just do it yourself, any cheap UV box for fingernails works, probably two overnight treatments.

Yeah, Tesla should take care of it, but I did it myself and saved many hours over service center visits. Take the bottom off the UV box so the UV hits the screen and tape it to one corner of the screen overnight. I have yet to see this fail although some screens took a while to develop.

That is weird, NCDS took my case when I was outside of warranty after Tesla tried to drag feet. But I also lost my case with valid arguments and documentation so I guess one might say they didn't really "take my case"

Advice, there are a number of these yellowing threads. I have a 2019, still under warranty with the in-dash screen is beginning to yellow. I opened a support ticket via the app. they scheduled the repair $0. They like most attempted the UV light treatment. When that half measure failed, they asked me to pay the $1700 to replace the screen saying there is a internal confidential memo saying not to replace under warranty.
1. i believe they are still obligated. if it wasn't covered, why schedule a $0 repair visit?
2. you can change the terms of the warranty. state consumer laws say the consumer has the right to review all warrant language prior to purchasing. Changing the terms via a document that won't even share seems to violate the law, not just the warranty contract.
3. classified as cosmetic issue. a mfg defect that devalues the car by $1700 isn't cosmetic. they say the yellowing could eventually effect the screens use, but obviously hoping its out of warranty entirely. in the past with Ford, if an issue was documented during the warranty period and later failed, the mfg was responsible for the repair based again on state consumer laws.

thoughts?

Going through the NCDS process only takes a bit of your time and is binding to Tesla but not to you if you are still under warranty. I'd strongly suggest the in-person option. I did it and won - although many others did and failed. IMHO, it costs little to try and has no risk to you. Had I failed, I expect I would have tried small claims court. I had documentation of all communication on the topic along with pictures to show.

Tesla lawyers were on the phone with me and the arbitrator there in person - they just scheduled a conference room at a local hotel. Tesla lawyers asked me if I drove my car in sunlight which obviously I (and every other owner) does - I asked them if there were written owner's manual verbiage indicating whether that was in advisable or not (of course there is not). Like you, they then tried the UV treatment which failed and replaced the screen. Hearing time was only about 15 minutes.

Your points made above would only add to the validity of your case.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Going through the NCDS process only takes a bit of your time and is binding to Tesla but not to you if you are still under warranty. I'd strongly suggest the in-person option. I did it and won - although many others did and failed. IMHO, it costs little to try and has no risk to you. Had I failed, I expect I would have tried small claims court. I had documentation of all communication on the topic along with pictures to show.

Tesla lawyers were on the phone with me and the arbitrator there in person - they just scheduled a conference room at a local hotel. Tesla lawyers asked me if I drove my car in sunlight which obviously I (and every other owner) does - I asked them if there were written owner's manual verbiage indicating whether that was in advisable or not (of course there is not). Like you, they then tried the UV treatment which failed and replaced the screen. Hearing time was only about 15 minutes.

Your points made above would only add to the validity of your case.
thank you for the information! i will file with NCDS next

Reactions: KArnold