Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea what you have bought, but I classify 90% of the vehicles out there as boring and in serious need of advertising to convince people to own them.
The ONLY thing the Tesla S and X have going for them over other 'boring' cars is the drivetrain and battery, those are the best there currently is. Other functions are either on par, half working, non existent or worse than what can be had in other vehicles, and lets not compare build quality and warranty issues.

I noticed your signature says you have a Model 3. I don't know if in the past you've owned a Model S or X? If you haven't lived with the day to day misery of a vehicle with the MCU1 system running the V9 firmware then you won't understand where this angst is coming from.

WhiteX, you've missed the point.

Tesla is of such a size and stature that suppliers are lining up to be a part of the NEXT BIG THING.* Elon needed to have his procurement buyers validating these suppliers, years ago, but it didn't happen, or there was some issue, or who knows.

While nice, aerospace grade (and costs) are NOT required for the center stack of the Model S or X, just automotive grade, to the higher standards required for equipment in the sun, in the center stack, perhaps in a black-on-black Model X, on a planet with ever increasing temperatures . . . .

*Why? Because ICE brands are dead men walking--they just pretend to not know it yet. Think Kodak, Nokia, Palm, etc.
ROFL laughing. You think just because Tesla ships tens of thousands of Model S/X per year companies are willing to dump their product below cost just to be in it, the more they sell, the more money they lose. It's the MoviePass business model - complete lunacy, check out how MoviePass is doing today.

Oh, and this has absolutely nothing to do with EV cs ICE. It's a about screens.

Oh, and this has absolutely nothing to do with EV cs ICE. It's a about screens.
Not only that, the price people are paying for replacement screens is absurd considering how bad the quality is, I'd say at least a 400% mark up. Look at the price of quality computer monitors at somewhere like Best Buy, I think my Samsung UHD PC screens cost me about $300 each...and they aren't yellowed after being on for 10hrs a day for two years.

I have no idea what you have bought, but I classify 90% of the vehicles out there as boring and in serious need of advertising to convince people to own them. I own one example called a Toyota.

At the moment, Tesla is advertising to me that my experience with Hyundai has been better, and a more worry free experience; I don’t drive the highway wondering what happens if I have an issue. For example, the wife clipped the edge of the garage 2 weeks ago and took out a side mirror. Took a week to order and receive the part, and a couple of hours to replace. Have no idea what that would have been like on the Tesla these days. So, if things don’t turn around in the next 6-10 mos, I’m strongly thinking about trying out a Hyundai Kona. I could buy it outright for less than the total of all my lease payments.

At the moment, Tesla is advertising to me that my experience with Hyundai has been better, and a more worry free experience; I don’t drive the highway wondering what happens if I have an issue. For example, the wife clipped the edge of the garage 2 weeks ago and took out a side mirror. Took a week to order and receive the part, and a couple of hours to replace. Have no idea what that would have been like on the Tesla these days. So, if things don’t turn around in the next 6-10 mos, I’m strongly thinking about trying out a Hyundai Kona. I could buy it outright for less than the total of all my lease payments.
I'll help you out on parts availability, at least on the 3. Just had $10k worth of rear-quarter panel and bumper replaced. Parts took 2.5 weeks which isn't that bad considering their history.

Reactions: P100D_Me
I'll help you out on parts availability, at least on the 3. Just had $10k worth of rear-quarter panel and bumper replaced. Parts took 2.5 weeks which isn't that bad considering their history.
Agree that is very positive. Thanks for sharing. I really want to stay with Tesla. I enjoy the heck out of driving it, but I also don't enjoy owning things that result in frequent worries. Classic case of cognitive dissonance..

And on a related note - I had a similar experience with my first S. Glad it’s fixed and you can enjoy it again.

Reactions: VT_EE and davidc18
As far as lemon law goes, I probably could... I've had a lot of other problems. (Though I'm running out of time, CO lemon law is only one year and its already August) -- Finding a lemon law lawyer that isn't shady is kind of difficult though. And I've been told that if you do that, you'll basically never be welcome at Tesla again.

So you have to look into your specific state:

In mine, you have to go through Arbitration anyway before filing a lemon law complaint. Once that is done if they didn't rule in your favor you ask the state to step in and make a ruling. Only if you are still unsatisfied with the response is it eligible to go to court.

In some states the lawyer fees end up getting paid entirely by the loser so in those states a lawyer can be had on contingency. I think with Lemon Laws the criteria are so clear cut so a few hundred dollars or free for a legal consult is worthwhile.

As far as never being welcome at Tesla again does that matter? If a car manufacturer, especially one that can't seem to make money right now, tells you to pound sand after all the problems you have had why would you want to go back?

My car has only been in service a couple times over the first year but their treatment of me and the number of visits means I'm unlikely to be a customer of theirs ever again anyway. I've never had to go through an arbitration process before and since Tesla basically forced me to I'm very vocal about my experience. I know I've cost Tesla at least 4 sales in my circle and maybe a couple more outside of that.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My car has only been in service a couple times over the first year but their treatment of me and the number of visits means I'm unlikely to be a customer of theirs ever again anyway. I've never had to go through an arbitration process before and since Tesla basically forced me to I'm very vocal about my experience. I know I've cost Tesla at least 4 sales in my circle and maybe a couple more outside of that.

I think this is really the true cost of Tesla's short-sightedness on customer experience lately. They have turned their biggest supporters into adversaries.

I got my Model S a few years ago before anyone else in my immediate circle (friends, family, and co-workers). I would often talk about how much I loved the car but how I was even more impressed back then with Tesla itself. Service was amazing, if you had even the slightest of problems they would make sure you were taken care of. Buying the car was a breeze by not having to go through dealers. Tesla hadn't just innovated on the car but the entire experience, and it was magical.

But, this goes both ways. All those same people (some of which have bought Teslas themselves) know about the yellow screen issue on my car. They also know how disappointed I am with Tesla service lately and how concerned I am about this trend of Tesla trying to get out of warranty repairs. I don't know if this has caused anyone to think twice about buying a Tesla but I know if someone in my circle went from being a superfan to being cautious I would take note.

Tesla acts like they have already won. Opinion in the SF bay area is certainly in their favor but I think they still have a steep uphill battle in the rest of the country to get people to give up their ICE cars.

I am on the same page. Love the drive but this "minor" issues are major... Can't imagine outside of warranty. I can't recommend to friends anymore... Right now I would not buy again but I am also puzzled because I can't see myself going back to an ICE either... I cannot believe the 3rd party parts issues and the warranty crap they can drive on customers.

Reactions: kavyboy and vexige
While I'm talking about going to Arbitration I really have no idea how to do it. Does Tesla have to set it up? If me, where do I go?

p.s. another few days and no promised return call about anything. Anyone want to give me odds ref getting a return call?

The first post in this thread does a pretty good job of walking you though the process and even gives Tesla's response and their talking points (in that arbitration case at least). There are a number of people on this forum who have now gone through arbitration over this issue and can provide guidance if you need.

Essentially to get the ball rolling you file a claim on the NCDS website. NCDS will assign someone to administer the case and send it to Tesla for a response. A lawyer from Tesla will give a mostly boilerplate reply. Eventually a hearing date will be set and you need to provide evidence prior to the hearing to the administrator. They will send a copy of all evidence to you, the arbitrator, and Tesla's lawyer. It is important to note that if you send them photos of the issue they only print them in black and white so you might want to mail in photos yourself or provide a link to an album online somewhere. There will be a roughly 30min hearing via a conference call where you state your case and Tesla states theirs. You do have a chance for rebuttal once the Tesla lawyer says whatever nonsense he feels like saying this time.

I am on the same page. Love the drive but this "minor" issues are major... Can't imagine outside of warranty. I can't recommend to friends anymore... Right now I would not buy again but I am also puzzled because I can't see myself going back to an ICE either... I cannot believe the 3rd party parts issues and the warranty crap they can drive on customers.

I’m hoping there are decent options from competitors in a couple years when I’m ready to replace my S. Audi GT , etc

Reactions: Downtown
We recently scheduled an appointment with mobile service to have our yellow touchscreen replaced. We've waited nearly a year, all the while being told that "a fix is coming" and that we "need to be patient." Very frustrating.

Tesla texted today saying the tooling for the fix wasn't available yet. They cancelled the appointment. I ended up on the phone w/someone from mobile service and these are the "answers" they provided to my questions:

When is tooling available?
Don't know.

What causes the displays to yellow?
Don't know, maybe combination of heat + sunlight.

Are new S/X still being built with defective displays?
Don't know.

Can you replace our display?
Yes, but you have to pay and we can't guarantee the new display won't have the same problem.

Does the UV fix work 100% of the time?
Don't know.

Is the UV fix considered a warranty repair or goodwill?
Goodwill.

So that's where we're at now. Normally I'd proceed with arbitration but if they're just going to put another defective display in that's not going to get us anywhere. It was incredibly frustrating how little information the guy provided, but even more frustrating was his attitude. No apology, no sense that he was truly concerned about what was happening. Just a sense that I was bothering him and that he was being gracious even being willing to talk with me and offer an unverified fix at an undetermined future date.

So that's where we're at now. Normally I'd proceed with arbitration but if they're just going to put another defective display in that's not going to get us anywhere. It was incredibly frustrating how little information the guy provided, but even more frustrating was his attitude. No apology, no sense that he was truly concerned about what was happening. Just a sense that I was bothering him and that he was being gracious even being willing to talk with me and offer an unverified fix at an undetermined future date.

Not to minimize your experience but that is pretty average for Tesla's response to this issue I'm afraid.

I see the "why bother" argument come up quite a bit around the yellow screen issue. My thoughts on this is that the crux Tesla's strategy with this issue is banking on their owner's apathy. They know that they can push people around, keep telling them that "a fix is coming" and so on and that 99% of people will be good little soldiers and wait it out. They know that most people don't like to be confrontational or to rock the boat and will just fall in line.

Going to arbitration on this issue will probably not permanently solve the yellow screen issue in your car (either from the UV treatment or a screen replacement). That is unfortunate. However, going to arbitration does send a signal to Tesla that you, the customer, will not stand for this type of treatment. I hope customer pushback on this issue will help Tesla get back to their former selves where they put the customer first. I hope it helps them become a better company. I am not confident anyone on the other end is listening though.

I for one am no longer excited about a future where Tesla is the leading automotive company. Tesla makes great cars but lately they have been acting like the rules don't apply to them. If they behave this way now with the market share they currently have, I can't imagine how poorly they will behave if they were the market leader. If you think Tesla doesn't care about you now, just wait until they get even bigger.

As I see it from this side of the pond the only solution the customer has is to use local rules (arbitration of otherwise) to keep inisisting on repairs/replacements throughout the warranty period (unless you purchased after a time when the screen was explicilty stated not to be warranted). If enough folk do that then tesla unlimately has to concede the point or find a screen alternative that holds good.
This is not the customers fault and however sympathetic one might be to Tesla it is their problem to resolve.