Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be nice to have widespread media attention on this, they seem to enjoy reporting all of Elon's cool (sorry stupid) gimmicks that get released (games, fart apps, fireplaces). How about a story showing how Tesla actually treat customers these days and the lengths people are going through to get warranty items covered and the lengths Telsa is going to so they are denied.

If someone were to make an app that tweets a fart noise to Elon every time a warranty claim is denied I'm sure that would get some media attention. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you guys can't remember: the problem is not with the screen/LCD display panel. If you lookup the specs that part does not contain a touch panel. It is also rated for industrial use, and I don't know if that is a higher rating than automotive or not. The temperature specs are: Operating Temperature: -20 ~ 80 °C ; Storage Temperature: -40 ~ 85 °C which looks like they should be fine for use in a car.
Automotive spec covers more than just operating temperature, also how fast the temperature is changing, how many cycles it needs to withstand, etc. Btw, part of my work is with German manufacturers, and they require electronics to be functional at 90C ambient, but higher temperatures without damage (electronics allowed to have reduced functionality >90C ambient but not be damaged). In hot places, temperatures in parked cars can exceed 100C (at one place where I once lived a local newspaper used to report parked car temps, the highest I remember was 104C).

I
There is a lot we don't know, but it doesn't really matter if a supplier or Tesla is responsible for the actual costs, it is Tesla that warrantied the car to the purchaser so they have to make it right by repairing or replacing while you are under warranty. (Then Tesla can argue/sue a supplier if necessary to get them to cover the costs as appropriate.)
^THIS - it really doesn't matter who bare the cost, ultimately Tesla is responsible. Whether it's a Tesla mistake or some supplier, it shouldn't matter to the consumer. Stockholders probably care whose pockets the cost are coming out from. This said, given how hard Tesla is fighting this, I strongly suspect it's coming out of their pocket, otherwise they wouldn't care so much.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Btw, part of my work is with German manufacturers, and they require electronics to be functional at 90C ambient, but higher temperatures without damage (electronics allowed to have reduced functionality >90C ambient but not be damaged).

Out of curiosity are those electronics that are in the cabin of the car or in the engine compartment? If the ambient temperature in the car is 194 degrees Fahrenheit I don't think there is going to be a human in the car operating it. :eek:

In hot places, temperatures in parked cars can exceed 100C (at one place where I once lived a local newspaper used to report parked car temps, the highest I remember was 104C).

Where was that? I have a hard time believing that it got hotter than the boiling temperature of water inside a car from just being in the sun. (But maybe it is possible?)

Out of curiosity are those electronics that are in the cabin of the car or in the engine compartment? If the ambient temperature in the car is 194 degrees Fahrenheit I don't think there is going to be a human in the car operating it. :eek:

Where was that? I have a hard time believing that it got hotter than the boiling temperature of water inside a car from just being in the sun. (But maybe it is possible?)

It's doubtful, but it doesn't come far from that. I sell auto interior supplies, and our headliner adhesives are rated between 195-215 degrees Fahrenheit. Most headliner adhesives are rated for 195 degrees, so if it gets hotter than that the headliner may fall.

Keep in mind as soon as you open the door most of the heat escapes, and then once you start the car the A/C kicks on (or you roll the windows down) and the car cools off rapidly.

It's not uncommon for the internal temp to hit 170-180 degrees F on a hot summer day with the windows rolled up.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Would be nice to have widespread media attention on this, they seem to enjoy reporting all of Elon's cool (sorry stupid) gimmicks that get released (games, fart apps, fireplaces). How about a story showing how Tesla actually treat customers these days and the lengths people are going through to get warranty items covered and the lengths Telsa is going to so they are denied.
I was in touch with CNBC and NYT regarding the issue, referencing them to this and other threads, re: Tesla customer service. . Nothing yet... I would hope if more affected owners will reach out, they may get interested

If it covers parts of the navigational map, and impairs the visibility of parts of the screen, one could easily argue that it is no longer purely "cosmetic". To me anything covering parts of the map decreases functionality, making it no longer a cosmetic only issue.

View attachment 441441

There was a previous thread where a user was reporting that the yellowing impaired their ability to use some of the controls along the bottom of the screen. That is probably an extreme example but it is not purely cosmetic.

See: Yellow bands of death can disable some touchscreen controls

In the cabin. The issues is the temp is 90C in the cabin, driver comes, car is "aired out" so not 90C air but the electronics are still hot, and if you the electronics to start A/C and don't want to wait for them to cool off via convection.

Athens, Greece - late 80's. When you first open the doors you have to stand back or the hot air actually hurts. I also know a person who got a major burn when they got into a car which was baking in the sun (after airing it out), rolled down the window and stuck his hand out, touching the hot metal skin of the door. Athens News used to report car temp, and I remember the record high was 104C. I think they just left a thermometer in the car baking in the sun.

There are lots of defects that are “cosmetic “ - orange peel paint, scratches on delivery etc etc. None affects the performance or drivability but a manufacturer should remedy them under warranty.

“Cosmetic “ - that’s a red herring. Especially on a $160,000 plus car.

ROFL laughing. You think just because Tesla ships tens of thousands of Model S/X per year companies are willing to dump their product below cost just to be in it, the more they sell, the more money they lose. It's the MoviePass business model - complete lunacy, check out how MoviePass is doing today.

Oh, and this has absolutely nothing to do with EV cs ICE. It's a about screens.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I reject your assumption that other suppliers will not queue up to be a Tesla vendor--the prestige of Tesla is impressive.

Tesla has botched their handling of the yellow screen issue, but it CAN be addressed if they start acting like the Tesla we use to know.

This is stated as if it were a fact. Can you please substantiate this claim? @whitex made a similar claim, but went silent when asked to substantiate it.
Agree. I hadn't seen the MCU model number before, but a quick google search turns up the spec sheet. Environmental conditions are called out. (Note that the max 80 deg while using the screen is celcius, which translates to 176 deg fahrenheit ...storage upper limit is higher yet.)
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 7.17.02 PM.png

So back to google to find how hot a parked car can get in the summer. Lots of articles, most are in the 110-125 deg (F) range - but the worst case I could find stated is 172F. How hot can the interior of a car get – and how quickly? : HeatKills

So it appears that the screen specs were appropriate for the anticipated environment.

But wait! Reliability. Everyone is throwing around 'automotive grade'. Soooo, oh hey google. What exactly is automotive grade?

Turns out, there is such a thing (not a surprise). It has to do with reliability of critical components. What is the difference between Automotive Grade (GCM) and standard grade (GRM) capacitors? | Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

But it doesn't mean 'every single thing in a vehicle is supposed to be automotive grade'. Here's a helpful chart (left column requires automotive grade, right column does not):

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 7.23.21 PM.png

So, draw your own conclusions. I'm sure we don't all agree on this, but thought maybe we could all operate from the same set of facts instead of speculating. :)

...Elon took a gamble on a non-automotive spec part, then the parts started failing, the manufacturer said "part used beyond spec, not covered"
...Tesla asked Innolux to change the adhesive to eliminate what happened to the first gen MCU, now the yellowing border arose. Tesla once again informed Innolux and was told to pound sand....
@whitex and @Gixx1300R have both made claims, represented as fact, that the manufacturer of the display told Tesla that it would not cover warranty claims on the display screen. I have repeatedly asked them for substantiation of the claim that the manufacturer took such a position with Tesla.

Neither one of them has provided anything to substantiate their claims. This suggests that their claims are not, in fact, true. Misrepresenting a false statement as if it was a fact is considered by most people to be a lie. Therefore, these would appear to be lies told to discredit Tesla and bolster their personal, hostile positions against the company.

By the way, one of the stories I was given by a service tech is that heat actually makes the screen not go yellow. Apparently Tesla's in places like AZ don't see the yellowing.

I disagree, I am in Phoenix, AZ, and my screen on my 10/2018 Model S received the yellow border within 2 weeks of purchasing the new "inventory" car. Currently in document only arbitration.