Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But Tesla adapts their 'cause' depending on the case. Ryan is dishonest and will lie to win, and he knows that, and has no problem with it. (Perhaps he is behind his unyellowed computer screen right now acting faux-offended, or perhaps he's kicking back with a beer laughing to himself about how many customers he screwed over. Congrats, Ryan. You're a wonderful human being. I wonder what car you drive. Bet it's not a Tesla.)

I bet it’s a BMW given what an ass this guy appears to be (apologies to any BMW owners on here. I’m sure your lovely people).

It might not matter to customers but I am starting to wonder if it matters to Investors. Tesla marks an awful lot of service as “goodwill”. By doing so are they defrauding investors? They report their warranty expenses in their quarterly reports. If they aren’t including the cost of the goodwill repairs or are purposely misclassifying them to make their accounting better that is a serious issue.
Mazda does the same thing. I had all the wheels on my Mazda 6 replaced because the paint was peeling off as well as an armrest where the padding delodged. Everything was “Goodwill”.

Hi all,

I was going to post an update on my instrument cluster over the weekend but it appears the thread has turned to that topic so I might as well post about it now.

TL;DR I got Tesla to replace the IC due to the yellow banding forming on it. Details, photos, and invoices below.

I had brought up the issue of the IC prior to my service appointment to fix the yellowing on the touchscreen. The service manager agreed that they would fix the IC as well while the car was in for service.

When I finally got the car back after Tesla had it for 15 days (see this post for details on that service appointment) there didn't appear to be any change to the IC. I am not sure what, if any, repair the service center attempted on the IC during the first service appointment. The initial invoice I was given stated that they replaced the IC. The next invoice stated that they did the UV treatment on the IC. I have asked several Tesla service people if they are aware of a UV treatment for the IC to which they have all told me that they have not heard of such a treatment being developed to for the IC yet. I am left to wonder if Tesla falsified the invoice from the first service visit. Ryan seemed pretty annoyed when I asked for proof that a UV treatment was actually performed on my IC and basically told me to not question him.

I made the service center manager aware of the issue when I picked up my car and emailed Ryan about it the next morning. I did not hear back from Ryan for several days so I contacted NCDS to inquire what my options were for moving forward. I fairly quickly received a reply from Ryan after NCDS got in contact with them. I told Ryan that I needed a commitment from him to fix the IC otherwise I would be forced to file another arbitration claim. Unsurprisingly I was told that I was being impatient and that "most people would give them a chance to look at the car". I sent images of the IC and the damage. Ryan insisted that the photos did not show any sort of yellowing and that Tesla needed a chance to inspect the vehicle themselves (at that point they had the car for over two weeks less than a week prior - they had plenty of time to inspect the screen). I went ahead and proceeded with filing another arbitration case over the IC and damage done to the chrome trim in my car during the first visit (an issue which is still not fully resolved). A bit after filing I was told by Ryan that it was "improper" to have an open arbitration case over non-warranty issues such as fixing damaged trim.

Ultimately, after some pushing a mobile tech came out to fix one of the three scratched pieces of trim (bezel around touchscreen, bezel around IC, scratch on dash pad chrome over air vent) and confirm that the yellowing on the IC existed. During that appointment the mobile tech actually replaced the IC for me (this likely only happened from insisting to the service center manager that they do so). For what its worth the mobile tech also had never heard of a UV treatment for the IC. Go figure.

In the end Tesla replaced my yellowing touch screen and my yellowing instrument cluster (not to mention spent a small fortune on Uber credits). I have still not been able to get the service center to make an appointment to fix the other two pieces of trim. However, Tesla has promised that they will do so. My followup NCDS case is still open and will remain so until all work has been completed.

My IC after I picked my car up from the yellow screen service appointment...
IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

The IC after is was removed by the mobile tech...(notice the band around the perimeter, most visible on right side)
20190813_103531.jpg

My invoice for the IC replacement (I had to call the service center to actually get this. I'm curious what the "Correction: NO LABOR PERFORMED" is about). And yeah, I know this is marked as "goodwill"...
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.04.37 PM.png

My invoices from the yellow screen replacement where they claim to have done something to the IC as well...

This was the final version. They refused to mark it as warranty. As such I never signed it.
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.08.48 PM.png

The first invoice I got said the replaced the IC...
Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 4.13.04 PM.png

Last edited:
My IC is also yellowing. I did mention this during the arbitration, but it made no difference. Ryan absolutely uses different tactics with different people, depending on the situation. With me he kept pushing on the "fact" that I didn't present the car for repair and didn't give them a reasonable opportunity for repair (blatant lie). He calmly kept insisting that the fix is available at my local SC (another lie).

We will all have problems selling these cars if the screens keep progressively getting yellow. And I think this UV fix is an absolute BS.

So I will ask again for the attorneys out there: how do we go class action on this ?

This is the firm that handled dieselgate for my Audi: Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP.

Maybe I should reach out to them. What do you all think?

Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP | Class Action Attorneys | Hagens Berman | National Class Action Litigation Firm based in Seattle, WA

It pains me to post this site, but it appears that only a class action lawsuit will be the only thing that gets Elon's attention?

Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP | Class Action Attorneys | Hagens Berman | National Class Action Litigation Firm based in Seattle, WA

Just pathetic customer service, unreal actually.
I've actually contacted that firm. I have the email address for an initial investigator there if you want it. Please PM me for it. The more of us that reach out, the better.

Reactions: Matias
Hi all,

I was going to post an update on my instrument cluster over the weekend but it appears the thread has turned to that topic so I might as well post about it now.

TL;DR I got Tesla to replace the IC due to the yellow banding forming on it. Details, photos, and invoices below.

I had brought up the issue of the IC prior to my service appointment to fix the yellowing on the touchscreen. The service manager agreed that they would fix the IC as well while the car was in for service.

When I finally got the car back after Tesla had it for 15 days (see this post for details on that service appointment) there didn't appear to be any change to the IC. I am not sure what, if any, repair the service center attempted on the IC during the first service appointment. The initial invoice I was given stated that they replaced the IC. The next invoice stated that they did the UV treatment on the IC. I have asked several Tesla service people if they are aware of a UV treatment for the IC to which they have all told me that they have not heard of such a treatment being developed to for the IC yet. I am left to wonder if Tesla falsified the invoice from the first service visit. Ryan seemed pretty annoyed when I asked for proof that a UV treatment was actually performed on my IC and basically told me to not question him.

I made the service center manager aware of the issue when I picked up my car and emailed Ryan about it the next morning. I did not hear back from Ryan for several days so I contacted NCDS to inquire what my options were for moving forward. I fairly quickly received a reply from Ryan after NCDS got in contact with them. I told Ryan that I needed a commitment from him to fix the IC otherwise I would be forced to file another arbitration claim. Unsurprisingly I was told that I was being impatient and that "most people would give them a chance to look at the car". I sent images of the IC and the damage. Ryan insisted that the photos did not show any sort of yellowing and that Tesla needed a chance to inspect the vehicle themselves (at that point they had the car for over two weeks less than a week prior - they had plenty of time to inspect the screen). I went ahead and proceeded with filing another arbitration case over the IC and damage done to the chrome trim in my car during the first visit (an issue which is still not fully resolved). A bit after filing I was told by Ryan that it was "improper" to have an open arbitration case over non-warranty issues such as fixing damaged trim.

Ultimately, after some pushing a mobile tech came out to fix one of the three scratched pieces of trim (bezel around touchscreen, bezel around IC, scratch on dash pad chrome over air vent) and confirm that the yellowing on the IC existed. During that appointment the mobile tech actually replaced the IC for me (this likely only happened from insisting to the service center manager that they do so). For what its worth the mobile tech also had never heard of a UV treatment for the IC. Go figure.

In the end Tesla replaced my yellowing touch screen and my yellowing instrument cluster (not to mention spent a small fortune on Uber credits). I have still not been able to get the service center to make an appointment to fix the other two pieces of trim. However, Tesla has promised that they will do so. My followup NCDS case is still open and will remain so until all work has been completed.

My IC after I picked my car up from the yellow screen service appointment...
View attachment 442713
View attachment 442709

The IC after is was removed by the mobile tech...(notice the band around the perimeter, most visible on right side)
View attachment 442708

My invoice for the IC replacement (I had to call the service center to actually get this. I'm curious what the "Correction: NO LABOR PERFORMED" is about). And yeah, I know this is marked as "goodwill"...
View attachment 442717

My invoices from the yellow screen replacement where they claim to have done something to the IC as well...

This was the final version. They refused to mark it as warranty. As such I never signed it.
View attachment 442719

The first invoice I got said the replaced the IC...
View attachment 442722

Dear god, could they have handled this repair for a defective display in a manner that was more costly to them and miserable for all involved? What did they gain from all this nonsense?

The sad lesson from this situation is it seems the best way to get them to fix the defective display is to keep filing arbitration filings but how is this any way to run a company or treat customers?

This Ryan seems like such an outstanding guy.

This is pretty important. I hope you got their reason in writing. This really undermines Tesla's claim that the yellow screen has no material impact on the value of the vehicle.
No I didn't. They asked if the car has any visible dents or defects, showed them the picture of the screen, they didn't bother even giving me the value, told me to come back when it's fixed.

When dealing with Tesla service centers I would suggest only emailing them for a record of proof. Also take pictures and video before and after the service center visit. I took extensive pics when I dropped my car off at a service center. The rep asked what I was doing and I told her I expect to get my car back in the same condition as when I dropped it off.

It might not matter to customers but I am starting to wonder if it matters to Investors. Tesla marks an awful lot of service as “goodwill”. By doing so are they defrauding investors? They report their warranty expenses in their quarterly reports. If they aren’t including the cost of the goodwill repairs or are purposely misclassifying them to make their accounting better that is a serious issue.
The only reason why it would matter to a customer is because warranty repairs are explicitly warrantied, good-will repairs are not. Should you ever want to go to arbitration if your screen fails again, you weaken your position.

When dealing with Tesla service centers I would suggest only emailing them for a record of proof. Also take pictures and video before and after the service center visit. I took extensive pics when I dropped my car off at a service center. The rep asked what I was doing and I told her I expect to get my car back in the same condition as when I dropped it off.

I feel self conscious doing this but I do the same thing.

First I make a 4K video going around the car once in one direction and again going around the other direction to document the condition of the car and paint from two different angles. Then I take 8 high resolution photos all around the car for even more detail. All photos are taken right outside the SC and they are instatly uploaded to Google Drive to establish a time stamp.Keeps everyone honest about the condition of the car. Our Mercedes dealer actually used to do this as a rule for all cars arriving for service and I think it's a good policy for everyone.

I carefully go around the car and inspect the paint and wheels when I get the car back, as I expect the car back in the same condition.

The only reason why it would matter to a customer is because warranty repairs are explicitly warrantied, good-will repairs are not. Should you ever want to go to arbitration if your screen fails again, you weaken your position.

Not if he didn't sign it.

He can further follow up with an email that he considers the repair to be a warranty repair regardless of how they classify the repair internally. This way you explicitly disclaim any future claim that you accepted the repair as good will.

Reactions: Matias
A quick update, so I finally found some time, was about to file for arbitration but decided to email the SC first and apparently the fix is available, so scheduled the car in 2 weeks. If they fix it, great. If not, I will file then.

PS> On a bright side, the soonest appointment was only a week away! Last time I booked the wait was a month long. Definitely a positive change good to see. Who knows, there may be a new MS in my future after all, let's see how things develop with Tesla.

An update to my issue. Like many here, I filed a case with NCDS and it was accepted. Ryan reached out to me yesterday and we have spent the better part of today working towards a mutually agreeable solution. Like many of you, I was concerned that the UV fix may not fully remove the discoloration and that I was not confident that Tesla would follow up in that case to replace the screen under warranty. To that end I pursued the following terms with Ryan and he has accepted these, pending my termination of the Arbitration case.

1) Repairs shall be completed within 30 days
2) A "successful" repair is defined as elimination of any visible screen discoloration in the affected areas
3) Tesla guarantees they will replace the screen under warranty should the repair fail to meet the mutually agreed “successful” repair standard per #2

I am satisfied that these terms are reasonable and should Tesla fail to live up to them, I will obviously re-file with NCDS and given the details of the thread, I would have a very strong case. Ryan assures me that they would wish to avoid any further arbitration and as long as I have acted in good faith, he would rather work with me and just replace the screen if I am unhappy with the repair than have me re-file.

I suggest anyone wishing to resolve this follow a similar approach and suggest these terms to Ryan to fast track the discussion.

I hope this is of help to you all.

An update to my issue. Like many here, I filed a case with NCDS and it was accepted. Ryan reached out to me yesterday and we have spent the better part of today working towards a mutually agreeable solution. Like many of you, I was concerned that the UV fix may not fully remove the discoloration and that I was not confident that Tesla would follow up in that case to replace the screen under warranty. To that end I pursued the following terms with Ryan and he has accepted these, pending my termination of the Arbitration case.

1) Repairs shall be completed within 30 days
2) A "successful" repair is defined as elimination of any visible screen discoloration in the affected areas
3) Tesla guarantees they will replace the screen under warranty should the repair fail to meet the mutually agreed “successful” repair standard per #2

I am satisfied that these terms are reasonable and should Tesla fail to live up to them, I will obviously re-file with NCDS and given the details of the thread, I would have a very strong case. Ryan assures me that they would wish to avoid any further arbitration and as long as I have acted in good faith, he would rather work with me and just replace the screen if I am unhappy with the repair than have me re-file.

I suggest anyone wishing to resolve this follow a similar approach and suggest these terms to Ryan to fast track the discussion.

I hope this is of help to you all.
Look closely at your IC, as a lot seem to have that also. If the IC is impacted make sure he agrees to that as well.

Reactions: jwlsh
Ryan assures me that they would wish to avoid any further arbitration and as long as I have acted in good faith, he would rather work with me and just replace the screen if I am unhappy with the repair than have me re-file.

I'm curious why he seems so eager to avoid arbitration. Maybe his performance is evaluated on his win/loss rate or on the cost? It almost seems as if he cares more about it not going through arbitration than he does about denying the repair.