Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ugh just noticed the yellow ring for the second time on my one year old X. already had it replaced once.

now i have to read through this whole thread.

Only marked funny that you have to read through the thread. Quick summary based on multiple threads:
1. Most are unhappy with Tesla for how they have handled things
2. Some say, they've handled ok and patience is called for
3. @bonnie says Tesla applied the UV fix and hers is fixed and this is rolling out to other Service Centers
4. Some have taken it to arbitration - so far, only one case has gone through the whole process and Tesla was ordered to fix it
5. A couple of tangents toward other topics:)

I think the above is right, but you can read the full set of posts to doublecheck me if you like:)

Not sure I ever stated it but I have the yellow border, and it is getting bigger. Who knew mats could grow by themselves..

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
Well, you and I have both been similarly affected. I would then say, then, that the primary difference between us is in our attitudes. I believe that the company is making an honest (though, perhaps not coherent) attempt to resolve the issue, and you believe that the company is lying to its customers and trying to screw them over. I am happy and content with my attitude, and you are not with yours. Each of us gets to choose our perception of the world and how we interact with it. To each, his own, eh?
Hard to attribute honesty when you're getting contradicting answers from a company, all boiling down to "what can I tell you for you to go away with nothing?". Some people buy the "check is in the mail, we'll call you, don't call us" type communications, I'm not one of those people, you evidently are. To be fair, I used to give Tesla a lot more slack, but that approach doesn't end well with Tesla, for example I ended up paying for things like 691hp which was to come with an update (yep, just like the yellow screen fix), but instead got 463hp and an excuse, while could have 50hp less and saved $25K on the price (which I would have, had I known I'm paying $25,000 for just 50hp more). Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on you, fool me thrice, shame on me - since I'm beyond twice already, it would be foolish of me to continue to trust Tesla excuses.

Has it been confirmed the 2019 models (as in, I order one today) have the same screen as all our yellowing versions?
In other words, is this a rolling problem for Tesla that will keep haunting them or have they actually fixed it in a new design that they are not willing to retrofit to older cars?

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying till now.

A few answers:

It really did only take me under an hour of work. From start to finish was about 3 weeks. If you start today, you would be done by end of July or super early August based on my time frame.

Tesla proactively reached out to me once I signed the acceptance agreement and sent it in confirming they know they need to replace the screen within 30 days. I actually forgot to sign it to begin with, and got the run around when I I itially scheduled the replacement as a result. This means our screen must be replaced by Aug 5th.

As to the magic fix. We only have ONE report of it working, or even being used, despite them telling us two weeks ago at this point that they have sent it to more then 10 service centers. If it was a true fix, I'd expect to see many more reports like Bonnie's at this point.

As to waiting: it's a 100k car, Tesla bit themselves with a subpar part, why should I burn through my warranty time and my ownership time by waiting on them to get their stuff together when they have known of the issue for years?
Think of it this way: we have been waiting 6 months, that is an 8th of our warranty period. Would they extend the screen warranty 6 months to account for the delay? Absolutely not. What a out those waiting for 12 months? That's 25% of their warranty length!

Tesla proactively reached out to me once I signed the acceptance agreement and sent it in confirming they know they need to replace the screen within 30 days. I actually forgot to sign it to begin with, and got the run around when I I itially scheduled the replacement as a result. This means our screen must be replaced by Aug 5th.

I think you mean that your screen must be replaced, or repaired, by August 5th.

? I assume you meant 'to the arbitrator' not 'by the arbitrator'

I don't understand your underlying point. This is akin (different cause) to the ghosting images on early LCD and plasma TVs. They all do it, but the amount depends on what is on the the screen.

Seems like nothing really changed, Tesla said the car was under warranty and would be repaired under warranty when the fix was finalized:
View attachment 426957
The arbitrator also stated the yellowing was a low impact non-conformance:
View attachment 426956

can anyone please share how to start the arbitration process?
When I asked the service center regarding this issue on my screen, they offered me two options.
Pay for the screen or wait for six months until fix is available. This is today.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
My yellow screen case has been accepted for arbitration. Talking to someone at Tesla has become almost impossible so I have very little documentation. Even though I requested a document only review, I am thinking I would love to face them in person. One problem here is that most of us love our cars and we support what Tesla is trying to do for our world. We hate it when people Criticize our company. Some of us take it personally. The thing is when we buy an expensive item and it is under warranty, we expect it to maintain it's usability and it's looks at least for the warranty period. The screen is in a car and it should function in that environment. No excuses.

Well, I am affected, made an appointment with Tesla, waited a month, went there a couple of weeks ago, got told 3 very different stories in one day, from "new screens are coming soon, you're on the list" to "this doesn't impact safety or functionality, so not covered, may have a fix by end of year, you can pay to have it replaced today". So you are somewhat correct, they do communicate, just not any official, consistent Tesla message. They tell customers anything then can think of to pacify the them for now. If the customer is not gullible enough to buy the first answer, try a different answer, until the customer goes away (or service center closes for the day, then you can call and talk to a computer to your heart's content, or make another appointment in a month). The fact that there is no official message means employees make it up as they, hence all the different, often contradicting messages. Or do you think Tesla corporate is changing their answers hourly?
Who is the head of service for the US? Whoever that person is should be fired, as they are responsible. When Jerome Guillen was head of sales & service, the service experience was exemplary. Then Jon McNeil took over, but things didn't change that much. Then Jon McNeil left, I don't believe he was ever replaced. I'm assuming all the regionals report to Elon, then. There doesn't seem to be any accountability at Tesla for anything unless you're on the Autopilot team.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am also accepted for arbitration. I am having a face to face review although I'm not particularly adept in debate club. The pictures I submitted were sent back to me as part of the package but they were in black & white and of poor quality. I will bring my own hi-res pics. Plus the doc says to bring the cat for personal inspection. But this is all new to me - who knows if this will make any difference.

Being in the midwest, I don't expect the UV fix this year - we are always at the tail end of the USA. If nothing else maybe I can get a 30-day commitment to fix, one way or another.

And now we have an 01/2019 build with the same issue. Does Tesla not have a long lasting fix? Are the current cars being produced with a known defect and are going to have this problem in 3 months? I honestly don't know if I should push for replacement (which I'm leaning to) or just a quicker UV fix. Either way I'd love to fix so I can consider selling and abandoning Tesla, which is not practical with this defect.

Lots of drama over a little yellow line.

Sounds like Tesla has a fix. Will take some time to equip and train all the service centers.

Owners have several options.
1. Pay to have it fixed.. it bothers you that much.
2. Go down the legal track of arbitration and force Tesla to put you at the head of the line for fix/repair.
3. Just live with it (oh, the horror) until your friendly neighborhood service center gets the equipment and training.
4. Just live with it if it does not bother you.
There may be other options, but it looks like Tesla is closing in on a resolution to this highly emotional issue.

Sounds like Tesla has a fix. Will take some time to equip and train all the service centers.

2. Go down the legal track of arbitration and force Tesla to put you at the head of the line for fix/repair.
3. Just live with it (oh, the horror) until your friendly neighborhood service center gets the equipment and training.
There may be other options, but it looks like Tesla is closing in on a resolution to this highly emotional issue.
Wow, how dismissive. How much drama do you think Tesla would make if people would go to showrooms with sharpies to add little lines to the interior of the car? Do you think they would say "it doesn't affect functionality or value of the car, so we'll just live with it" What if people make even smaller lines with screwdrivers on the exterior paint of MX and MS? Aluminium body, so it won't rust so doesn't affect functionality, and so much thinner of a line. You think they would share your attitude of unnecessary drama over a tiny line? No, because Tesla knows that it would affect the value of a car (even people like you, who say it's nothing, would likely refuse to take delivery of a car with "thin lines" unless discounted). Why are you surprised some people don't want to wait months or years to get this fixed?

Who is the head of service for the US? Whoever that person is should be fired, as they are responsible. When Jerome Guillen was head of sales & service, the service experience was exemplary. Then Jon McNeil took over, but things didn't change that much. Then Jon McNeil left, I don't believe he was ever replaced. I'm assuming all the regionals report to Elon, then. There doesn't seem to be any accountability at Tesla for anything unless you're on the Autopilot team.
Then John McNeil left, Elon officially took over and announced he will not be replacing John, much like he's recently taken over AutoPilot leadership after firing existing leaders/managers. So, the service that we see today is 100% Elon's vision and execution. Much different than John McNeil's service few years ago, eh? Different leaders, different visions, welcome to Elon's.

1. It is literally illegal for Tesla to require owners to replace the screen when it has been shown to be under warranty.
2. People already do this. it works. People shouldn't have to do this.
3. Are paint issues cosmetic? what about milling sounds from the DU? Battery range?
4. Tesla should 'just live with it' and replace screens. Use *sugar* materials and get *sugar* results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superendo
I am also accepted for arbitration. I am having a face to face review although I'm not particularly adept in debate club. The pictures I submitted were sent back to me as part of the package but they were in black & white and of poor quality. I will bring my own hi-res pics. Plus the doc says to bring the cat for personal inspection. But this is all new to me - who knows if this will make any difference.

Being in the midwest, I don't expect the UV fix this year - we are always at the tail end of the USA. If nothing else maybe I can get a 30-day commitment to fix, one way or another.

And now we have an 01/2019 build with the same issue. Does Tesla not have a long lasting fix? Are the current cars being produced with a known defect and are going to have this problem in 3 months? I honestly don't know if I should push for replacement (which I'm leaning to) or just a quicker UV fix. Either way I'd love to fix so I can consider selling and abandoning Tesla, which is not practical with this defect.

I dont think location matters. I am in california. They said they don't have an ETA for the fix.
My case for arbitration got accepted as well. I chose teleconferencing.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I dont think location matters. I am in california. They said they don't have an ETA for the fix.
My case for arbitration got accepted as well. I chose teleconferencing.
Teleconference is what I did. My rationale was:

I wanted to be able to explain my case and I was afraid documents only wouldn't allow that.
I also didn't want to waste time on an in person. I live less then a half hour from the factory, so would be easy to find a place that works for both.
Although, if I was in the Midwest or some random state Tesla didn't already have a lawyer in, I may have chosen in person in hopes it wasn't worth it for them to send someone.

My yellow screen case has been accepted for arbitration...

I am also accepted for arbitration...

..My case for arbitration got accepted as well...

You'll be contacted by a Tesla lawyer who will try to persuade you to be "patient and cooperative". He'll ask you to drop this pesky arbitration suit, and tell you "he's coordinating with your service center". When I made a proposal for a written agreement to drop the arbitration, he claimed "No matter if you win or lose, Tesla will perform a repair - the outcome is going to be the same". He conveniently left out the timeline under which a repair would be performed outside of arbitration. He stopped responding when I made it clear that I want this issue fixed within 30 days guaranteed. (This is the second screen in this vehicle, and I've waited for almost 9 months in total with just this issue in this one car. I've had the same issue in another vehicle).

He tried to pressure me by saying "Cooperation and patience will go a long way with us in terms of this or other concerns you may have with your Tesla." He later claimed he wasn't saying Tesla would blacklist me - but yes he clearly was trying to make me feel uncomfortable with requesting arbitration.

After several emails back and forth, it's clear to me that this guy's job is literally just to try to delay or end warranty arbitration requests to try to save Tesla money. I guess Tesla must think it's profitable - probably because they know they're going to have a lot of arbitration. But I don't understand how this could be more profitable than just changing out screens.