Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm impressed that you are so charitable about this. I am totally pissed off.
I was ticked off for a while then realized it gains me nothing. I stopped buying more Teslas, but not going to dump the ones I have just to spite them - there isn't a comparable alternative available on the market yet, hence I'll drive the Teslas I got for a while. If Tesla gets their act together, start offering a solid product backed with solid service, I will buy more cars from them. If a better option hits the market, I'll buy that - I have no particular brand loyalty to Tesla anymore (actually, after 6+ years of being a customer I trust Tesla corporate less than any other car manufactures I've dealt with before, 4 years ago I was a die hard fan).

I have convinced myself this will be a temporary fix, it is the cheapest option for Tesla to try but if they start yellowing again in 4 to 6 months then they have no place to go but dig their heels in deeper to not have to replace the screens or take a big financial hit and be forced to do it.

FWIW, for those of us outside the US we are still being told there is no time line when these magic UV machines will be sent to international markets. Given Tesla's time lines usually involve taking the stated value and multiply by three I'm thinking we are at least a year off.

Tesla Oslo, Norway got an UV-repair unit.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and aesculus
Update: I had mine repaired. The screen looks fixed - the yellow border is gone (I haven't taken a magnifying glass to it, but I don't really care about things too small to notice with a quick "once over", the old yellow border was more than obvious).

It was billed as good-will service. I asked why and noticed a new thing, rather than make up an answer on the spot, the adviser punched it into his computer, then it took a couple of minutes to get an answer - maybe Tesla is attempting to at least start providing consistent communications? Or maybe he was just new, since after he got the answer he commented that Tesla does things in brand new ways compared to other car manufacturers he's worked at. The answer by the way was "we record all repairs which don't require parts as good-will". I was also told that reapplying during warranty, should it become necessary, would be another good-will service, since yellowing is not covered under warranty because it doesn't impact screen functionality. Oh, and should the fix fail after warranty, re-applying the fix costs 2hrs of time (so $310+tax at the posted $155/hr rate).
Did you attempt to have them write it up as warranty work?

Good info, thanks. Problem with "goodwill" is that Tesla has also stated it is a one-time gesture, whether warrantied or not. After 1 treatment you have to pay if a 2nd application is needed. For this reason, speed of seriously delayed service, and others I chose the NCDS route.

And you will get the same result. The will apply the UV treatment and list it as goodwill on the invoice. (Unless the treatment doesn't work in which case they will replace the screen.)

The only thing NCDS gets you is a 30-day repair window.

So if I've brought my car in to have this fixed and they turn me away saying, "they are working on a fix for that". Don't you think they would contact me about the fix once they knew it was available?

My understanding is the "new fix" is just the same as the old fix. They replace the drive shafts. Does this actually "fix" the problem or just fix it for a while like the yellow border on the screen?

It would be nice if they contacted you, but I doubt there system is setup to track and notify on such things.

No, the new fix is not just the same. It does replace the half shafts, but it also replaces the clevis mount that prevents the motor from shifting which is supposed to prevent the half shafts from getting damaged again.

Here is the TSB with all the information on parts and exactly what needs to be done. (It is dated June 25th, so it has only been available for two months.)

It would be nice if they contacted you, but I doubt there system is setup to track and notify on such things.

No, the new fix is not just the same. It does replace the half shafts, but it also replaces the clevis mount that prevents the motor from shifting which is supposed to prevent the half shafts from getting damaged again.

Here is the TSB with all the information on parts and exactly what needs to be done. (It is dated June 25th, so it has only been available for two months.)

Has Tesla taken any actions that would indicate they blame the driver for this going bad? I had a contact on the 800 number that using Ludicrous mode at all voids your warranty. I never thought I had put it in Ludicrous mode until one day I found that if you select one of the Easter eggs and when it asks if you want your mommy you opt out, it has already put you in Ludicrous mode and leaves you there no matter how you answer the question. Seems rather perverse or possibly a coding error.

Thanks for the TSB link. I assume if I ask them to repair it they won't try to deny there is a fix.

It's fixed! Before and after attached. Mine seems pretty minor based on what other's have shown. Time will tell if it's permanent or not.

Before.jpg After.jpg

Thanks Bellevue Service Center!

Reactions: puhiniho
It's fixed! Before and after attached. Mine seems pretty minor based on what other's have shown. Time will tell if it's permanent or not.

View attachment 448813 View attachment 448814

Thanks Bellevue Service Center!

Can you take an after pic in direct sunlight, with the screen off (or mostly black)? Though I can see the yellowing on my screen when the screen is on and in indirect light (in fact, that's when I first noticed it), it stands out even more then the screen is dark and sunlight is shining directly on the screen.

Here's mine (untreated), where you can see it in both conditions on different parts of the screen:

IMG_4610.JPG

Last edited:
it stands out even more then the screen is dark and sunlight is shining directly on the screen.
I wonder if that is an artifact of the sun reflecting off of the AL bezel? My car is not supposed to be one that can be affected by the yellowing (I get to deal with the bubbles and oozing) but on occasion I have seen this yellow effect too. Shading the area made it disappear.

It would be interesting if you could place some masking or painters tape on the bezel where you see this and see if that eliminates the "off" effect.

I wonder if that is an artifact of the sun reflecting off of the AL bezel? My car is not supposed to be one that can be affected by the yellowing (I get to deal with the bubbles and oozing) but on occasion I have seen this yellow effect too. Shading the area made it disappear.

It would be interesting if you could place some masking or painters tape on the bezel where you see this and see if that eliminates the "off" effect.

I don't think it has anything to do with that, but I will try to remember to do that test.

I was ticked off for a while then realized it gains me nothing. I stopped buying more Teslas, but not going to dump the ones I have just to spite them - there isn't a comparable alternative available on the market yet, hence I'll drive the Teslas I got for a while. If Tesla gets their act together, start offering a solid product backed with solid service, I will buy more cars from them. If a better option hits the market, I'll buy that - I have no particular brand loyalty to Tesla anymore (actually, after 6+ years of being a customer I trust Tesla corporate less than any other car manufactures I've dealt with before, 4 years ago I was a die hard fan).
I feel the same. Its sad really but seems to happen when companies get too big or popular

Wouldn't it be wiser for Tesla to just replace screens and then take the bad screens and apply the UV treatment to them and use those screens. Seems silly to only have a handful of machines and make people guess when the machine will be in there area
Tesla abviously doesn't care about what's "wiser" - the way this has been handled is a total disaster. They mostly care about cost, and it is cheaper to fix the display without removing it, so that is what they are doing. Only 3 machines could also be a way to limit costs by limiting how many free fixes they have to do every quarter, and limiting the cost of machines (after every screen is fixed, those are throw away mostly).

Has anyone had a yellow border fixed at Devon, PA service center? I have been waiting for a while like many others. Hoping someone has an answer!

I had my screen repaired at the Devon service center. I was supposedly the first car to have it done there when the regional person was training the techs there on how to use the tool. My post with before/after pics is linked above.

At the time, the fix was being pilot tested. I don't know if they have the actual tool there or not yet.

I am satisfied with the results.

I will tell you something else though. It is my wife's car which has this problem, she dropped it off, I told her I would pick it up because I was thinking about upgrading my P85DL to a Raven P100DL. However, after sitting there waiting to pick up the car, listening to other folks and their frustrations with issues like non-reproducible errors and getting charged for diagnostics (to be fair, service waved them but explained to the customer if he brings it back again and they can't repro what I understood to be A/C failing, they will have to charge him 2 hrs shop time), it cured me. It really made me think - my P85DL is in good shape, little battery degradation, MCU getting slow but the new one has got issues too (my wife's car has MCU2).
Getting a new Tesla is just rolling the dice to potentially have more issues to deal with in exchange for a quieter car with some extra power (P85DL is not slow by any means, even though it doesn't produce the originally advertised power). Even if I have to replace the MCU on the old car at some point, it's still better than chancing it with a brand new Tesla. The "evil you know" I guess?

Sad but true… it's a shame that Tesla has come to this.